Redcar Central

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Norman Coyne
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Redcar Central

Post by Norman Coyne »

Hi I'm new to modelling so could I get some help please? I want to model the station from the Road bridge by the cricket ground to the footbridge at the junction of Birdsall Row & the Avenue. Where would I find any information on distances & track layout circa 1955.? Thanks in advance.
Seagull
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'
Location: Between a cheap railway station and a ploughed field

Re: Redcar Central

Post by Seagull »

Hello Norman

If you go to this link:- http://maps.nls.uk/view/100941365 you will find the 6inch map for 1938 published in 1947.

I doubt the layout changed between 1938 & 1955. You can print out from the web page, but the quality is (purposely?) not that good.
You cannot easily scale from the image which is another problem. You can order the map online and they are not expensive, though I'm not sure what the postage to Canada would be.

The main search page is here:- http://maps.nls.uk/geo/find/#zoom=13&la ... FTFFFFFFFT

Alan
Playing trains, but trying to get serious
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

You may also find this site useful.

The NERA will also be able to help you.
DS239
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by DS239 »

Hello Norman,

There is an OS 1:2500 map dated 1954-55 on the http://www.old-maps.co.uk website,type Redcar into the search box,centre the pointer on the station area and select the map you want to view from the selection on the right,you can zoom in a bit,but you'll have to order the map for a really detailed view.

That website is a really useful research tool,and the 1:2500 maps are good enough to show track plans in detail,so you can easily spend a lot of time researching all those long lost areas of the railway system... :wink:
mr B
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by mr B »

imagesBR786QE4.jpg
imagesBR786QE4.jpg (9.43 KiB) Viewed 7233 times
rsz_nethertown_71_redcar_central_buildings_and_houses.jpg
hi Norman , looks like we've the same interest , sorry to jump into your thread but some modern day stuff (N gauge) ...
wish you well on your project .

mrB
seacoaler
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by seacoaler »

Great to see two people modelling Redcar . Would be great to see the finished articles or progress photos.

Google earth has a facility for measuring between any two points, or more than two points .
Load Google Earth then just click on the ruler symbol at top of page , choose your method of measurement , then click line or path , double click on first point then take line to end or next point . Click 'clear' box to start again.

You can also roll back time on Google Earth, only to 2000 or 2005 but it helps ! in 2000 most of Redcars original layout can still be seen . Click on clock symbol at top and move pointer back in display.

Distance between bridge and foot bridge is 2616 ft approx :D
mr B

Post by mr B »

hi Seacoaler , lets hope Norman remembers some of these :D
087.JPG
seacoaler
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by seacoaler »

Like it Mr B, very familiar with these items as my family were full time Redcar fishermen !
What period are you modelling ?
mr B

Post by mr B »

95% on here couldn't tell difference between a foying board and a double ender :mrgreen:

Central station is set from Central station days to present day , with minimum track work as I like to see trains moving , also remember its down sized to fit a standard pattern 10 door - modeller's licence included !
the cobbles (that's fishing boats to the media) , are hand 'turned' on the Unimat , I've a bit of sycamore that's going to be used for Sir James Knot ...
120.JPG
seacoaler
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by seacoaler »

Long ago resigned myself to the fact that although Double Enders most common beach boat on NE coast only a few people know they are not called Cobles :)
Is the station moving nearer to the beach?
mr B

Post by mr B »

Seacoaler the station is where it should be , but a couple of cobbles outside the Pig with BG's and Lowdeca's squeezing past will enhance the corner !
Have made the carriage and tractor for the Leicester Challenge , will do the inflatable at same time as James Knot .
attachment=0]004.JPG[/attachment]
Attachments
004.JPG
Norman Coyne
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Norman Coyne »

Well 3 years on & I just wanted to say a big thank you to all who answered my questions. I have got most of my bench-work in a 17ft by 10ft room. Obviously some compression is going to be needed to get Redcar along one wall, I thought it odd that both Mr. B & I both see Redcar looking from the racecourse side of the tracks but that was my way to school. Anyway thanks once again for the help now it's track ordering time from Hatton's because their prices beat the heck out of buying Peco in Canada even with postage.
Regards Norman
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I do hope you will keep us up to date on Redcar, some of us 'Southerners' don't know much about the area.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.