Nathan's rolling stock and loco workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

73082gibbers
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Re: Nathan's rolling stock and loco workbench

Post by 73082gibbers »

Good evening all!

I've been quite busy over the past few weeks working on ongoing projects, amongst work too...

Firstly, a simple engine repaint and slight mod from a Bachmann Bill/ Ben model to a almost realistic saddle tank engine. The decision to put it into Kahki was that of an odd spur-of-the-moment one, but I think it paid off in all honesty! The decision to give it LNER lettering and numbering was down to what I had on me transfer wise, and also down to the smokebox door used - a TT gauge Green Arrow one. The oversized couplings were replaced for the slim NEM type ones, and new buffers were fitted - old Tri-ang ones from a spares box. The engine has subesequently been named Welsh Guard, ofwhich my Grandad served under them during the Falklands, so it's almost a tribute in some cases...
No.12 complete and on test
No.12 complete and on test
Next up, are the last two six wheelers from my Bachmann Emily repaints. The first of the two to be completed was a 1st class saloon, No.103.
1st Saloon 103
1st Saloon 103
The second, was a Brake Composite, No.89. The Duckets are Ratio ones with the tops trimmed, and the bottom curved section completely removed.
Brake Composite No.89
Brake Composite No.89
And so that leads me to this last photo of all four six wheel coaches in formation. (From R-L: Full Third No.76, Composite No.77, 1st Saloon 103, and Brake Composite No.89)
10913056_10200166262677447_1454198669_n.jpg
Till next time folks!

Nathan!
Southern by location, Eastern by nature

Visit my workbench at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10406
73082gibbers
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 73082gibbers »

Morning all!

Been a while, however I've been sort of busy with things since the last updates! The Bachmann Ben conversion/ repaint has been completed, with the nameplates having arrived a few weeks ago now. The engine was finished with a coat of Satin Varnish.
Welsh Guard complete
Welsh Guard complete
next up was two repaints of the old Triang basic coaches. The first was finished in Natural wood as 7822, the second was finished in Teak. I have a third one, which will be finished in a similar fasion to the KESR's LMS saloon, albeit a 4w version vice their 6w one.
7822 w/ Welsh Guard
7822 w/ Welsh Guard
And now onto the recent purchases. Along with the three four wheelers, I also managed to pick up the Railway Children Old Gentleman's coach, for £20 from an exhibition near me. It runs well and is now apart of the formation in my Clerestory set.
11004821_10200299634091649_530747392_n.jpg
Next, the engines. The first, is a J39, No.1974, and the second is B1 61002 Impala, soon to be renumbered and Renamed into 61306 Mayflower.
11026492_10200353494678130_1702527000_n.jpg
Till next time folks!

73082gibbers
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 73082gibbers »

Good evening folks!

This weekend has kept me very busy kit wise! The project in question was an Ian Kirk Buffet car kit that I purchased toward the end of January in an antiques shop in Whitstable. Having opened it and left it sprawled across my drawer desk, I decided on friday night to put it together! The original buffers were used elsewhere on a scratch built project I'm doing, and a new set of whitemetal clipped ones were fitted. The build then took place, as per the norm for coaches, and then the sides, and solebars attached. the underframe trusses were then glued in place. After all of this was done, a thought came to my head regarding what I could do to the kit. As I already have two buffet cars, I didn't see the need for a third, so settled on finishing it as an Unclassified Family Saloon. The body sides and ends were then given a generous coat of Humbrol Cream paint, spread evenly to look like graining, and then a top coat of Phoenix GNR/ LNER teak paint. The solebars were finished in Humbrol Rust, and the result is very convincing! I settled on the number 3781 (The joys of online number randomizers!!) and then proceeded to finish up the roof in white. A very basic interior was fitted, featuring benches, and a pair of tables, as well as a toilet. A gangway end board was then fitted - a rectangular piece of Plasticard, and the roof glue in place. For the end board, I drew up a black rectangle on MS Word, and added LNER to it. This was then printed out and, of all things, pritt sticked onto the plasticard. The result is quite realistic, bar the small bits of white at the top and bottom of the piece. Transfers were then applied, using HMRS Presfix LNER Locomotive and Coach insignia ones. The lettering and numbers were the larger style aimed at being used for Tourist Stock, however they look very convincing on the body sides after applying. Below is the finished article!
3781 completed
3781 completed
Till next time!

Nathan....

nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

Hi Nathan
Looks like your heading in the right direction to me, particularly with the Kirk kit. I'd like to offer an idea to you, please don't take it as criticism as it's certainly not intended to be, just a thought to help you move forward and improve further. Take a close look, I mean really study some pictures of teak coaches, there's plenty to look at if you google "teak coaches". You'll start to notice the individual bits of planking that make up the coach sides, they're all different, so you almost have to paint them individually. A little more time consuming but I'm sure you'll see what I mean. Also , if you haven't already, study some of the teaking methods offered on the forum, I think Mickb and Westends workbench threads could be worth looking into and there's mine too, have a go at all of them, mix and match, you'll come up with something that looks really good. I found this photo of a Teak Buffet car, I think it illustrates the individual panels/planks quite well.
Teak Buffet.JPG
You'll find once you've got a really good method sorted out you'll want to revisit some of your earlier efforts, I certainly did.

Cheers
Paul
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

I agree the thing with Teak is subtle variations. In 4mm the difference is minimal at normal viewing distances.

Some more good example of Teaking

http://www.steve-banks.org/modelling

As to painting I paint cream/sand colour and then add Humbrol leather , satin Black, Precision Teaks shades , dragging the top coat across the individual panels.

Currently doing some Steel Thompsons with ersatz Teak look. These are more of a pain as there are no panel lines to follow.
IMG_6884...jpg
73082gibbers
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 73082gibbers »

Many thanks for the advice chaps! I think I'll have to get myself a railroad teak or two to do some further testing! Out of interest, what size brush do you fellas use for your paneling? I used a rather old and well clumped up one that was probably too thick for doing each panel... I'll certainly give it a try again on my next repaint - which I'm sure will be soon given that it's payday on Friday, and ally pally too at the weekend! Also, do you varnish each panel individually too?

Thanks!

Nathan!

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Personally.

No 1 Brush using thin paint and use smoothly in passing movements. The last thing you want is to drag paint across the panel in 4mm with a lumpy brush. Blend the colours together a panel at a time. If you are not happy add a drop of thinners via the brush to the paint on the panel whilst wet to adjust tones.

I spray the whole of the coach sides and ends with satin varnish aerosol once decalled and fully dry.
73082gibbers
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 73082gibbers »

Many thanks chaps! I haven't quite gotten round to purchasing another old gresley coach to try your techniques out, however managed to repaint a Parkside Dundas Horsebox Van, which was in a crude dark teak, and varnished teak too, so it went even darker! The result now, is a light teak finish, vents fitted to the roof, side boards for the Groomes' compartment, painted solebars, and the wheels have even been done up with the centres being painted, and the tyres lined out in white - courtesy of a marker pen from work!
The horsebox on display with a pigeon van and suburbans
The horsebox on display with a pigeon van and suburbans
Moving onto a new exciting project!

~~~LNER ex GNR 4-4-0 w/ GNR tender~~~

The aim of this conversion/ kitbash, is to produce a fairly realistic model of an ex Great Northern Rly 4-4-0 locomotive in LNER Apple Green, wil etched lamp irons, fitted hand rails, NEM couplings, along with a GNR profiled cab. The engine to be used will be a Bachmann Edward, with an Emily tender.

First of all, the smaller parts were purchased. The chimney and steps were purchased from Dean Sidings. The buffers were acquired from a spares box. These were Bachmann SR/ LNER sprung ones. Split pins (yet to be bought) will be used for the lamp irons, and new handrails will be fitted, either Hornby spares, or new brass ones. The whistle will be an NE one from the Markitts range. Paint will be from the Phoenix Precisions range, Doncaster green, and the transfers and lining from the HMRS Presfix range.
A new smokebox door will be acquired, most likely a spare from the Hornby 0-4-0 D class tank engine, and will have new handrails fitted to it, as well as possibly a new smokebox door dart. A lamp iron from the split pins will be fitted through a hole drilled into the top of the smokebox.
A new set of safety valves may be fitted, possibly in the form of one acquired from Dean Sidings, similar in style to GNR No.1 at the NRM, but might be too tall for the engine itself. The splashers will be reworked with Plasticard and filler to give it a more flush look, similar in appearance to GCR locomotives, and the GNR E1 2-4-0 class.
The cab will possibly be reworked, with brass wire simulating pipework, etc.
On the tender, it might be possible to fit springs to the top of the running plate, in a similar fashion to the SER O class tenders, but this may mean a lack of lining on the tender. On the chassis, an NEM pocket will be fitted. The original tender will be kept, and done up too, as a secondary tender for when the ex GNR one gets "scrapped" (which isn't going to happen, just gives me a use for the original still)
Last edited by 73082gibbers on Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

the front wheels on that 2-4-0 are too far back from the smokebox,

Paul
73082gibbers
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 73082gibbers »

john coffin wrote:the front wheels on that 2-4-0 are too far back from the smokebox,

Paul

Nothing that I can do about that unfortunately, the person I bought this off of on Ebay built it, I simply purchased it with the intention of running it... I'm certainly not going to rip it up and rebuild it because one set of wheels is off... Blame Dapol/ Airfix! haha!!

Nathan...

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Sorry , the Horsebox should be in LNER Teak Brown , they were not in varnished Teak finish.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Nathan not suggesting you cut it about, just to remind everyone that it does not represent the GNR prototype.

But I agree it looks cute and interesting.

Paul
73082gibbers
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 73082gibbers »

mick b wrote:Sorry , the Horsebox should be in LNER Teak Brown , they were not in varnished Teak finish.
Ah many thanks! I only chose to do it varnished teak as a personal preference :P
john coffin wrote:Nathan not suggesting you cut it about, just to remind everyone that it does not represent the GNR prototype.

But I agree it looks cute and interesting.

Paul
Not a problem dear sir! haha!

An update to the latest project... The Bachmann Edward donor arrived in the post yesterday, and I immediately stripped it down. It's going to need a bit of work doing to it to get it to how I've planned it... I'm also going to need another pack of Bachmann's sprung buffers for it as I only have four buffers for one engine and two tenders! The alternative plan would be to use the whitemetal ones I acquired from Dean Sidings (LNER N7 ones) and fit them to the Emily tender and edward body, and be done with it, rendering the Edward Tender spare, and of no use anymore.... Thoughts anyone? And yes, I'm aware that the Emily tender is too fat and stumpy to represent a GNR tender, but hey, modellers licence and whatnot! ;P
Edward in pieces with new safety valve bonnet
Edward in pieces with new safety valve bonnet
Nathan....

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

You don't have to have a 'fat' Emily tender, I have just cut the tender top down to a respectable 29mm, it looks far better.

manna
Attachments
DSCF1364.JPG
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
73082gibbers
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 73082gibbers »

Many thanks for the advice Manna! I may consider it if it means I might be able to make it more representational of a GNR engine!

Yesterday, I started to fit the new parts. The new chimney has now been removed as it is too tall, so a replacement replacement is being sourced, hopefully from the Alan Gibson range. This evening I hope to start the cab area, and also fitting of the new buffers. the front coupling MAY get replaced, if I can get a new set - possibly hornby dummy ones (?)...

This was the progress as of yesterday evening prior to removal of the stovepipe chimney.
IMG_3637.JPG
IMG_3640.JPG
Hopefully I'll get to the cab tonight!

Nathan....