Nathan's rolling stock and loco workbench

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

James Harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: Nathan's rolling stock and loco workbench

Post by James Harrison »

I know how vicious the OO9 bug can be.... I went to the WHR/ FR last Summer and came away with a narrow gauge loco and wagons (still waiting their turn through the works). I visited again a few months ago and nearly came away with a Fairlie; had that happened I think the indoctrination would have been complete.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Im part way through a case of OO9 dementia, making a layout based on Littlemill Lime works which in the real world lies a few miles to the north of Alnmouth on the ECML. Standard gauge dealt with coal in to the drops and lime out, with the 2 foot 6 inch bringing limestone to a small yard adjacent to the drops. The coal and Limestone were then hauled up the curved inclined plane to the top of the kilns for charging them. How did your coaches go together as i bought a Parkside Hudson tipping skip and found the bits rather fragile so i am waiting for the Peco RTR versions to arrive. What are you doing about OO9 locos? I have looked at a few but they all look continental to my eyes.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
James Harrison
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by James Harrison »

52D wrote: What are you doing about OO9 locos? I have looked at a few but they all look continental to my eyes.
Try Five79 (I think they're currently sold via Parkside Dundas). http://www.parksidedundas.co.uk/acatalo ... LWAYS.html I have their 'Culverin' 0-4-0 to build (I might get that through the works next actually, and off the to-do pile).
73082gibbers
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 73082gibbers »

James Harrison wrote:
52D wrote: What are you doing about OO9 locos? I have looked at a few but they all look continental to my eyes.
Try Five79 (I think they're currently sold via Parkside Dundas). http://www.parksidedundas.co.uk/acatalo ... LWAYS.html I have their 'Culverin' 0-4-0 to build (I might get that through the works next actually, and off the to-do pile).
52D, I currently have three locos, a kit built TR No.5 Douglas, a 3D printed 'Uno' tank engine, and a 3D printed Blessingbourne tank engine. I do eventually plan to add a small tender loco to the fleet too, and a diesel shunter. The two 3D printed loco's are tramway engines, so have side plates, both utilise Kato chassis' 103 and 105 respectively (Uno uses 103, Blessingbourne uses 105) but with a small bit of modification. The 103 only requires the N gauge couplings removing, however the 105 one requires a small bit of the metalwork removing to the rear bogie end of the chassis block to accommodate the fitment of Peco 103 NEM coupling pockets.

I've also been working on a few of the coaches in my small collection, fixing up the NEM pockets on the bugbox and flying bench, which both have had a small plasticard chunk cemented into the bases of the pocket areas to allow couplings to be once again fitted. The two freelance coaches are now in Teak base, and once they've received a second coat, will be ready for the top teak coat to go on!
14375344_10202160850260890_1447770148_o.jpg
14359864_10202164828000331_1437029611_o.jpg
14359703_10202165103567220_477768133_o.jpg
freelance coach prior to teaking
freelance coach prior to teaking
Not a great deal else to report. The chassis for 'Blessingbourne' (not the name it will carry once complete) should arrive tomorrow, so once I've got it prepped, I'll likely start painting and detailing up the loco body and roof. The two tough decisions for it now, what livery, and what whistle!

Till next time folks!

Nathan....
Southern by location, Eastern by nature

Visit my workbench at viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10406
73082gibbers
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 73082gibbers »

Evening chaps and chapettes!

The two freelance coaches are now teaked. Just got to finish up the solebars with rust paint for the painted teak effect, and then apply glazing and roofs. I'm intending on experimenting with the couplings on these two, with one Bemo, and one Peco NEM pocket on either end. However, if the NEM ones are successful, then I'll stick to them on both ends.
freelance coaches teaked
freelance coaches teaked
Till the next update!

73082gibbers
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 73082gibbers »

Evening all!

The two freelance coaches are now complete, bar transfers and a top coat on the roofs, as seen below. Today, I managed to get hold of two more of these coaches, an additional 3rd class panelled coach, and a 1st class variant. These two will also go into teak, with the correct interior paintwork being applied. I also picked up one of Peco's Glyn Valley Tramway coaches, the GR-520 Open sided coach. This looks at home with the two currently completed coaches, and also with the two 3D printed ones (bugbox and flying bench).
14618830_10202249807564767_440990763_o.jpg
I have also purchased the first diesel locomotive for the 009 project. This will be finished in Network Southeast blue white and red to match the layouts based location of the South East of England, between Surrey and Kent. I was originally going to designate it the North Downs Light Railway, but that's been taken, much to my disappointment...

73082gibbers
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 73082gibbers »

Evening all,

Small progress, both 009 and OO! Friday was payday, and as such, I ended up spending money. Two more of the Freelance coach kits were purchased, as stated in the last post. The 1st class one is now built and awaiting painting. In addition to painting the roofs of the previous two coaches, I also managed to put a coat onto the roof of one of my Teaked Ratio GWR coaches. It certainly brings the teak out a lot more now that the roof has some paint on it!
1st class coach awaiting painting
1st class coach awaiting painting
Ratio Teak with painted roof
Ratio Teak with painted roof
Till next time folks!

73082gibbers
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 73082gibbers »

Afternoon all!

I've recently gained two weeks off work, having been involved in last wednesday's tram derailment, resulting in a bashed up right hand and right cheek, and a bang on the forehead.

With this in mind, and to keep my mind off of it all, I've started on two more wagon repaints, one is a Dapol 7 plank wagon, the other is from the Bachmann Thomas and Friends range. These will become the latest two in my LNER/ CL/ M&GN freight set. Additionally, I've also started working on my N gauge Maunsell Z class kit, which I've had for just under a year now, having been looking for a suitable chassis before starting building. This will eventually be finished as No.952, once destined for preservation at the Bluebell.
15052078_10202408240005479_452151310_o.jpg
15065098_10202408240045480_54250579_o.jpg
15060457_10202401116107386_1045726148_o.jpg
Till next time!

Nathan

drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Hope you are recovering from the crash.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Seconded. I'm sure no-one on here envies you an experience like that.
73082gibbers
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 73082gibbers »

drmditch wrote:Hope you are recovering from the crash.
jwealleans wrote:Seconded. I'm sure no-one on here envies you an experience like that.
Much obliged gents, Yes, I'm healing up well now, physically that is, mentally will take a bit longer, however I've managed to keep ontop of things relatively well this week!

I've finished off one of the two wagons, the Ex Thomas and Friends Bachmann "Cargo Car" as NE No.46, allocated to Norwich District. Whether or not this was a genuine wagon or not is to be established, it probably wasn't as I plucked the number at random, and added the Norwich District branding as an addition to make it less mundane. Nevertheless, the Dapol wagon will be done tomorrow, and if I'm lucky at Warley, I'll be aiming on purchasing a Dapol Fruit van to do up for the rake as well. An additional Railroad NE van will also be repainted in due course (when I can find where I put it) I've also acquired one of the Gra Far OO suburban coaches, in Teak, that I was going to re-teak, however, as it seems to fit in nicely with the rest of my fleet, it'll more than likely stay as it is for the foreseeable future.
15102259_10202421363653562_463838835_o.jpg
Till the next update!

Nathan...

73082gibbers
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 73082gibbers »

Evening all

Christmas gifted me the absolutely stunning W4 Peckett, in this instance, the Huntley & Palmers variant, and a Bachmann NSE MK1 RMB. The Peckett certainly looks at home on some freight stock, as well as short coach sets, as seen below with ECJS saloon 103, and Brake composite 89.
15748721_10202591273221195_1549834714_o.jpg
As I'm still signed off from work, I'll be attempting to catch up on stuff I've not gotten round to doing, primarily, completing my MK2E RFO, which I should have really finished up months ago.
RFO 4.jpg
Till next time!

Nathan

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

That Peckett looks good.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
73082gibbers
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 73082gibbers »

Evening all...

Didn't get round to completing the RFO, not to my surprise, mainly due to being carted out here there and everywhere by my folks...

Ended up purchasing this wee thing today, and what a stunning runner it is. Aside from the slight derailing on some of my curves I was using (all 3rd radii I should stress)...
15878280_10202633370593603_1932406972_o.jpg
15877867_10202633423994938_836098420_o.jpg
Nathan...

73082gibbers
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by 73082gibbers »

Evening all!

everything's been sort of quiet on my end recently, having returned to work in January, and recently resuming full duties (although I'm now back on light duties due to medication not being on Southern's list of okay to take and perform safety critical work) I haven't really done much modelling, even more so in the LNER department.

A few weeks back, I purchased two Ratio coach kits, an LMS low roof 8comp full 3rd, and a 4comp 3rd brake, along with some Bachmann Bulleid coach bogies. so far, I have fully assembled and painted the full 3rd, and haven't started on the brake coach, which is being based on a 7compartment brake 3rd which has had it's luggage capacity increased for holidaymakers. Both are being finished in SR Maunsell Olive Green, as loose representations of Ex LBSCR stock that transferred to the Isle of Wight. A fair bit of modding to the bogies and centerpin section were required to get the bulleid bogies to fit to the underframe, as illustrated in the pictures below.

Bulleid Bogies fitted to underframe using 8BA nuts and screws
Bulleid Bogies fitted to underframe using 8BA nuts and screws
the screws for these have been screwed into the bogie pivot mount, and superglued to stop them spinning when tightening the 8BA nuts.
Underframe with Solebars and bufferbeams fitted, trial fitted bogies behind a Golden Arrow resin body kit of a Manusell 350hp diesel shunter No.3
Underframe with Solebars and bufferbeams fitted, trial fitted bogies behind a Golden Arrow resin body kit of a Manusell 350hp diesel shunter No.3
completed coach bar glazing and transfers
completed coach bar glazing and transfers
The body ends have now been painted matt black, however one of them has stayed shiny as opposed to going dull matt... Would another coat of matt black rectify this??

Cheers!

Nathan