NER locomotives

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

NER locomotives

Post by Rlangham »

Has anyone here built any 3mm or 4mm scale NER locomotives, either scratchbuilt or from a kit? I'm mostly interested in models of the J79, J73, N10, G5 and Y7, although interested in any others too. Currently toying with the idea of a layout in either scale.
Frazmataz
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Frazmataz »

Is this asking about where to find kits, or our experiences in building such kits?
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

I built a couple of DJH A8 4-6-2Ts some years ago. They were easy enough to put together but were rather crude by the standards of later DJH kits, and the cylinders obstruct the lateral movement of the front bogie meaning they aren't suitable for small-radius curves. I also have a half-built DJH D20 in the loft.

I also built a Lancaster Model Engineering J77 (see viewtopic.php?t=176 for a picture), and recall this making up into a nice wee model, but I don't think it's available any longer. My other ex-NER kits (a London Road J21, Dave Bradwell J27, and Connoisseur N10) have been professionally built for me by other people who are much more proficient!

My first attempt at loco kit building (apart from the obligatory Airfix Schools, Prairie, Battle of Britain, L&Y Pug, and "Evening Star") was a Nu-Cast J27 - I seem to remember this consisted of about 20 components in total, and was devoid of lots of detail (for example, the chassis had no representation of springs, brake gear, ashpan, etc.), but it went together OK and I think she's still in the loft somewhere too.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Experiences mainly, I'm aware of most NER loco kits around although hadn't heard of the J77 kit. Interested in a J73 if anyone knows of one of those around as well