Model Railway Locomotive Bulding on the cheap!

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Model Railway Locomotive Bulding on the cheap!

Post by Rlangham »

Don't know if anyone's heard of this book that's just come out, but it tells you how to convert RTR models into models you can only get as kits (or in the J73 case as far as I know, can't get anything for it). Interestingly, it mainly covers LNER subjects, and has three NER locomotives

LNER: K4, K1, D20, D16/3, O4/6, F4, G5, L1 and J73

Here's a list of the other locos for anyone interested

SR: 02, 0395, C2X and a bullied "neverwas"
GWR: 3830
LMS: Stanier 2-6-0 and a SDJR 7F
BR: Diesel Shunter 11177

Must admit i'm very tempted - i've never done a kit and at the price i'm a bit cautious, but the book is only £17.99 and for three very interesting NER locomotives (D20, J73 and G5) that i'd probably spend a lot more building kits of, it sounds worth it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Model-Railway-L ... 105&sr=8-1

I'm mainly interested as to what you convert to get the locos - i'm presuming the D20 chassis comes from the Hornby LMS 2p but apart from that i'm stumped, I know the G5 and the J73 have the same boiler though
Frazmataz
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Frazmataz »

While the conversions sound interesting, Model Rail gave it a low review (2 out of 5). Poor illustrations, only vague instructions, and expensive for what you're getting. I'd rather spend the money on kits of the locos in question.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Have a look at this: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/forum/viewtopic. ... highlight= which is the D16/3 conversion from the B12. It's reckoned to be the best of the ones the book offers and even the builder says he won't be doing any of the others. I've seen similar comments from others who have read through it.