N Gauge Humorist and Carboard Coach

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

N Gauge Humorist and Carboard Coach

Post by Atso »

Finally got around to buying some lining transfers from Fox and, since I'm waiting for a few bits to finish off my C1, I thought I'd try them out!

Below are some pictures of Humorist (minus nameplates) along with my part built Gresley third. The Gresley coaches body is made out of carboard with a brass underframe. The roof and bogies have been 'borrowed' from other models.

Still got to apply the final coats of Klear (great stuff!). As for names plates - nobody seems to produce a set for Humorist. Does anyone know any different?
Attachments
Humorist4.JPG
(80.69 KiB) Downloaded 303 times
Humorist2.JPG
(61.3 KiB) Downloaded 231 times
Steve
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Hi all,

I moved house recently, so no modeling for awhile :( but just wanted to say that I'm still here and look forward to getting started with my new layout in the new year!

Cheers
Last edited by Atso on Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve
wehf100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by wehf100 »

nice work. The coach looks especially good, doe it have releif or is it a flat-sided piece. Eitherway, for the scale it looks particularly convincing.

Will
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Hi Will,

Thank for the kind comments. The coach body is made up out of pre-printed photo paper and carboard. The sides were knocked up in a old sketch program I had. The teak effect as created by scanning a piece of teak into the computer and manipulating the image to fit the coach. As a result there is no relief on the body but, as you said, in N it is hardly noticable (and the body cost me 35p to make!).

I've still got to figure out how to make up the roofs, bogies and underframes for any further coaches as these are borrowed from other models. Something to tackle in the new year mesthinks.
Steve
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

It does look good - esp. for the price and what it is.

I think the NGS have Gresley bogies.

Their Gresley Full Brake is still in the works. That could supply some underframes and roofs of the right shape, but the lengths would be wrong.

There are also the Dapol parts - watch out for them dumping Maroons or Blood&Custards over the next year or so :-)

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
rob
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by rob »

Hello Steve,
Welcome back,good to see you have survived the house move and best of luck with the layout,I look forward to your updates!
Cheers,
Rob
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Hi guys!

Thanks Rob, I'm working through the house now to bring it up to scratch. Unfortunately, I don't see much being done modelling wise until early next year now.

Richard, thanks for the kind words and the reminder about the full brake. I don't understand why the length of the roof would be wrong. I thought the kit was going to be the same length as the Dapol coaches... Speaking of which, are Dapol producing spares for their coaches yet?

Once I'm back in a position to do some more modelling, I'll be looking to overcome the roof, underframe and bogie problems and product a rake or two. I have to admit that I am excited by the prospect of a B17 being produced in N in the not to distant future - maybe a GE region gresley steal set is in order...
Steve
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I hadn't checked the lengths - so if they are the same length then you should be fine.

Haven't heard anything from Dapol about spares. Nothing on their website last time I looked, but then they still weren't listing the Blue Spots. I pointed this out at the end of an email to them about B17/Gresley strategy (I was suggesting coach box sets without an engine - expansion packs, as it were), and the reply merely said that the Bue Spots had been out so-many weeks.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia