Oxford Diecast diversifies into railway models

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Oxford Diecast diversifies into railway models

Post by Autocar Publicity »

Today, Gaugemaster announced they would be distributing the Oxford Rail range, a new line in Oxford's array of models.

They say, "Tooling is already well underway on their first locomotive, the LSWR Class 415 Adams Radial in OO Gauge. This item is due in mid 2015. Two further new items are already either at, or close to the tooling stage too. These items, manufactured in Oxford’s own factory in the Far East will form part of a significant range moving forward."

A few more details are available at: http://www.oxfordrail.com/. There's no prices or other details at the moment, but this is interesting news and ticks off one of my own wishlist. There has been speculation that Kernow were working on an Adams Radial too. Great minds may think alike but if that's true, it's still duplication. Time will tell.
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Oxford Diecast diversifies into railway models

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

If its as good as Oxford's bus models then it will be worth waiting for. I act as consultant on the bus models and can say that a lot of trouble is taken to get things right.
adrianbs
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by adrianbs »

Hi I have studied the photo on the Oxfordrail site of their new wagon, As yet there is only one view and it is not clear if it is a prototype or an EP or production version. As it stands it is very cheap but unfortunately has many strange errors/anomalies which would preclude it from being suitable as a model in LNER livery. The Bachmann version is not perfect but is very acceptable by comparison for those who wish to buy the most accurate RTR available. The latter can often be found "As new" on ebay for much the same price as the Oxfordrail model and the LNER livery has been done by Bachmann already as well as numerous other PO liveries. It will be interesting to see if the model has been refined when available.
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

As you may have gathered, there's more news on Oxford's web-site, including prices and preliminary pictures of the wagons:

http://www.oxfordrail.com/

I would second St. J's comment about accuracy - I've dealt with Oxford for some years and have met senior people at their roadshows. They don't seem the sort to be casual about details.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Some excellent photos of the new wagon at the bottom of the page. It looks very good to me.

I haven't checked was the design was used by the LNER as well as PO ?

Also some more waffle from Hornby therein.

http://www.mremag.com/news/bulletin.asp
Autocar Publicity
NER C7 4-4-2

Thanks Mick. Yes, the wagon looks good quality. I'm not sure about the prototype's end users.

I do struggle to take Nathaniel Southworth seriously - does anyone else think he must be related to Gus Hedges?
davidwest
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by davidwest »

Autocar Publicity wrote:As you may have gathered, there's more news on Oxford's web-site, including prices and preliminary pictures of the wagons:

http://www.oxfordrail.com/

I would second St. J's comment about accuracy - I've dealt with Oxford for some years and have met senior people at their roadshows. They don't seem the sort to be casual about details.
A very different a attitude on mremag Quote "Many readers send in very specific rolling stock questions and it quickly became apparent that Nat didn't have the answers for these immediately so I'll be e-mailing them over as putting someone on the spot at the show wasn't an ideal place for this. While I don't expect Nat to know the minutiae of the prototype, he should know people who are and so let's get these passed to them"

Hornby have a wide range. But Nat @ Hornby had to check. I'm not sure if I'm being unfair to the guy but I'd expect a company representative to know product details.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Both LNER and LMS built or ordered RCH 1923 minerals, the differences from the majority of the private owner builds being (off the top of my head) steel end stanchions on the fixed ends and (LMS) grab handles on the end door.

What disappoints me a little is that this wagon is already available from many different suppliers. Only 25% of the PO fleet at nationalisation was to this design - why not do a 1907 one, or a different one altogether? You can still sell the brightly coloured liveries to the train set market, but you'd open up far more of a market with the serious modellers as well.

Adrian (welcome, by the way) - you should know this design, having supplied it for so long - what is it which jars with you about it?
adrianbs
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by adrianbs »

Hi all and Jwealleans Do you really want to know ??, Past experience in "another place" seems to bring an almost immediate ban from a topic and now a complete ban for 22 years by which time my comments might be a little out of date. I have found about 30 errors on this new Oxfordrail wagon, most of which are not present on the Bachmann product. I have notified Oxfordrail of 13 before the additional pictures appeared but have not even had an acknowledgement to date. I will post the whole lot if enough readers ask me to but the list is very long and I am not sure if is complete. I cannot post this on the site "in another place" so, like some other models, Joe Public buys in ignorance, 'twas ever thus. Adrian
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

As far as I know there is no objection to well founded criticism of products on here. In order to check the "official" view on this I have asked richard to state an opinion on this matter. With any luck he will do so soon.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

It looks decent as a product. The capping strip to the side sheeting was not specified on the wagons of this type built by and for the LNER, and the end stanchions were typically T section as mentioned in the MREmag piece, possibly the stanchions are separate parts allowing for this variant. Also spotted by others, only one bottom door (where two were surely normal when fitted?), and a small additional cornerplate at the bottom of the fixed end cornerplates (possibly an in-service repair?).

Trivial, but the quite unnecessary underside detail includes buffer springs that are not aligned with the stocks...
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

General rules on this type of thing would be constructive criticism is okay as long as it is polite and well-mannered. We've been lucky so far, the only problem we had (and a temporary <6 month ban) was where one manufacturer was criticising another. This definitely leaves a bad taste. In that particular case, even his defenders openly admitted the same criticisms could apply to his products!

Adrian: Clearly people know who you are, but I don't. Are you the Adrian of ABS Models? If so, consider yourself on thin ice...

As for Oxford Diecast: I haven't compared prototypes too closely, but in N scale, their range was a welcome breath of fresh air. Good range of good models at a decent price (but the predecessors were mainly whitemetal kits of varying quality). The RCH wagon does seem an odd first choice, but I'm not a 4mm modeller - perhaps the existing models have defects, or Oxford think there is room for more manufacturers?
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I think I'm right in saying that the capping strips were a post war addition. There should definitely be two bottom doors and monkeytails to operate them. The internal planking seems to go awry around the one door they have represented.

The extra strips on the bottom of the fixed end corner plates look like an in service repair to me, but shouldn't be there on a supposedly new wagon. Easier to add than remove anyway.

I would hope (no reference material to hand) they've had the wit to make the side ironwork a different shape to the other kits on the market - a quick look through John Hayes' book would show that there are several variations on the theme.
adrianbs
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by adrianbs »

Hi Richard, I am he, but I am 71 and basically retired, my 7 Plank POW is out of production following the release of the kit versions and the Bachmann RTR version which duplicated it. Obviously I do have some knowledge of the full size wagons but clearly if the policy is not to allow anyone with any manufacturing credentials to post critical comments about new products it will be up to others to spend some time checking this one out and revealing their findings. They will be as astonished as I was at what Oxfordrail has done, Regards all adrianbs PS As I have said already, if you want to know you will have to ask ( Richard ) to permit me. A
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Adrian: You can go ahead.
Don't make me draw a line though (="be on your best behaviour" :-) ) - I hate drawing lines as they tend to be slightly arbitrary from my point of view, and there are always people who think I acted too quickly, and those who I think I acted too slowly...

re. the emails: I do recall sending you a couple of emails a few years back when I was moving into 7mm. Never got a reply. So the best people in the world sometimes don't reply to emails...
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia