Oxford Diecast diversifies into railway models

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Oxford Diecast diversifies into railway models

Post by mick b »

Hornby need the money more anyway. :lol: :lol:
adrianbs
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by adrianbs »

Hi All Totally agree that Hornby need the money more and I would love to get my hands on a number of items which are in the pipeline. I have bought far more from them in 4mm recently than all the rest put together but still they are in financial trouble !! If they survive my account will take quite a hit in the next year or so. Such a pity it is not Hornby producing the LNER wagons as unless OR get there finger out I will probably not be buying any of their's at all. Seems hardly worth reducing a RTR model to kit form in order to correct errors and then fully repainting or at least re-lettering it.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

More than happy with the new 21 ton Hoppers, CCT & Trout Wagons from the last couple of years. Don't think there is anything announced as coming for LNER in wagons from Hornby ?.
adrianbs
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by adrianbs »

Hi mick b Agree those 3 wagons are excellent as far as I can see and I have a couple of CCTs but none are currently in stock at Hornby at the moment. I wonder if we will see any more in the future ??
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

I will worry about that once the Q6 hopefully appears :shock: :D .
adrianbs
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by adrianbs »

Hi Mick b Looks like you may be getting a Q6 this week if you are quick and Hornby has now sent them out, Time to start building 20 ton 8 plank hopper kits if you can't get any RTR Hornby hoppers.
adrianbs
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by adrianbs »

Hi All, The LNER 6 Planks are now in stock at retailers but show no sign of any corrections having been made. The detail errors noted in my post of Jan 24 still remain and the colour of the LNER wagon seems little different to the BR grey version. This time they have got the lettering in the right place and a number which is correct but this will be rather immaterial if you don't like the colour and wish to repaint the model in a more suitable dark grey.
It should be fairly straightforward to remove the brakegear on both sides just leaving the Vees and replace with ONE new set having the pushrod positions reversed and a new brakelever with a reversing clutch fitted to that side. The original lever can be left on the side which now has no brakegear but a cross shaft will also be required.
Repositioning many of the nuts on the corner plates may not be viable unless the intention is to repaint the model anyway. It is a great shame OR could not run to the expense of correct brakegear as this is an ill omen for any other wagons that might need Morton 9'wb 2 shoe brakes which are one of the commonest designs on post '23 wagons. Thinking ahead does not seem to be a strong point at Oxfordrail assuming they even knew the model was incorrect.
adrianbs
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by adrianbs »

Hi All, Nice to see a couple of modellers on another forum have had a go at modifying these wagons. 31A in particular has taken the trouble to add the reversing clutch to the brakeshoe side of the wagon but Nile has not done this on either his 9'wb or 10'wb conversion. Neither modeller has done anything about correcting the position of the axleguards and have had to use the overlong 27.5 mm axles on their rebuilds. They have not altered the nuts on the corner plates either, although I can understand their reluctance to attempt that and try to match the paint colour as well.
adrianbs
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by adrianbs »

Hi All ---- OR have added a BR livery version of the 6 plank but apart from the fact that they have not apparently corrected the brakegear they have rated the wagon at 12 tons when all these wagons had been uprated during the war to 13 Tons. Even more annoying is they appear to have used a fictitious running number which would not have been issued until after production of this wagon design ceased. Bearing in mind they have about 20,000 numbers to choose from, most listed in Peter Tatlow's excellent publications, one would have thought they could have chosen a suitable number.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Numbers ? Matches the fictitious model it based on !!! :lol:
adrianbs
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by adrianbs »

Hi Mick Agree, likewise the new versions of the LNER Cattle and NBR 4 Plank, not to mention the Dean goods 3209 where the loco looks like a Dean goods but only in a windowless coal cellar with the door closed and the lights out. I suppose a blind man would be pleased to be able to see it but I suspect even he would soon notice many of the stupid errors. Indeed the Braille on the smokebox would probably be the first fault he would detect even if he were in that coal cellar.
cctransuk
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by cctransuk »

I think that it is abundantly clear that OR have moved into the model railway market, simply to cream off the "If it looks like a wagon, has the requisite number of wheels, and is cheap, I don't care about authenticity" brigade - and I suspect that they're more numerous than we might think.

From a friend who undertakes detailing / repainting / relettering of 'RTR' bus models, I understand that many bus models on the market are far from having the levels of authenticity that we railway modellers expect - hence his business.

Perhaps it's a case of transferring the "If it looks OK, it'll do" attitude from the model road vehicle trade to the model railway trade? Still, they'll make plenty of sales to those who neither know nor care any better.

Constantly bemoaning OR's chosen business model will not, however, change anything; it's just wasting time and thread space which would be better devoted to actual modelling.

Just ignore OR and get on with life!

Regards,
John Isherwood.
adrianbs
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by adrianbs »

Hi Folks The LNER modellers have still got the N7 and variants to look forward to, or not as the case may be. It is certainly not looking promising going by the last few models none of which have proved to be of a particularly good standard. Much criticism has been made of the Mk3 coaches which were expected to raise the standard but appear not to have done. The appearance of the Locomotion Dean Goods has shown little improvement on the previous versions, basically 2 steps forward and one back leaving 90% of the faults unchanged. The newly announced items hardly add much to the sum of available products that most modellers would have liked to see, the 5 plank being a duplicate of the Bachmann model but will no doubt soon appear fictitiously liveried as an LNER wagon of some sort. The Railgun might appeal to some if only we knew what sort of train it was travelling in on the few occasions it left the storage sheds and travelled South or to Frances and back. Other new items have limited interest to LNER modellers even if they were to a better standard.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Dave S
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Dave S »

adrianbs wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:57 pm Other new items have limited interest to LNER modellers even if they were to a better standard.
Admittedly off topic for Oxford Rail, but are you ever likely to produce any of the ex D&S (etc) kits again ?