Cheap Gresley Coaches

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Flyingscotsmanfan
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Cheap Gresley Coaches

Post by Flyingscotsmanfan »

For those of us on a budget, (not that none of aren't ;)) I thought I would show you some of my experiments for cheaply but effectively making the old style Hornby Gresley teaks look slightly more like there newer counterparts.

all I have done is simply paint the buffer beams and (are they called running boards) brown, and purchased some teak varnish from eBay and varnished the plastic teak which in my opinon makes them look a hell of a lot better take a look at the comparison photo.
Attachments
Photo-0009.jpg
(302.39 KiB) Downloaded 255 times
Photo-0008.jpg
(289.9 KiB) Downloaded 225 times
Photo-0006.jpg
(344.69 KiB) Downloaded 256 times
Frazmataz
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Frazmataz »

Oh my gosh! :shock: That makes such a difference!

Great tip for us folk who can't afford the best RTR 00 coaches of all time! XD Perhaps it would look even better if you painted them in the Railmatch Teak colours before applying the varnish :D
Flyingscotsmanfan
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Flyingscotsmanfan »

Ah well yousee, I didn't want the hassle of having to reline and reapply the running no's etc, all I did was varnish over the ones that were already there, they're a bit on the dark side but nothing I can't live with.