New products

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

New products

Post by jwealleans »

Can I suggest that this be made a sticky and updated by anyone spotting anything of interest?

For anyone who missed it on my WB thread, here's my latest find:

On the Wizard Models stand at Hull show, an announcement of a new kit:

Bought one (well, it would be rude not to). This morning, looking for a little job to do and never one to resist a wagon kit for long...

It gave me a chance to try this little gadget out:

and all in all it makes up rather nicely:

Nice two part buffers, etched W irons, rocking at one end, clean square castings - pleasure to build. Just needs a wash and a roof and it's ready for the paint shop.
Last edited by jwealleans on Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: New products

Post by jwealleans »

Something new from Bill Bedford as well:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... try1665410
M Gair
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by M Gair »

The Bill Bedford CADs look very good. Now I am considering them as I sit here waiting for glue to dry on my Comet Restaurant Triplet set. I am glad I cancelled the Bachmann SECR Birdcage coaches.
Good to see some more LNER coaches with a difference on the horizon.

Looks like a very interesting gadget.

Mark in Oz
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I like the look of them too. It happens that I have etched versions of both coaches to build yet.

The bogies intrigue - I have a very poor record with breaking resin bogies and underframes, but I'm sure you could probably use etched ones and apply the resin sides as overlays. Unless they come with Bill's own etched bogies, which I gather are very good.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

£70-£80 per coach? Maybe I should bear that in mind next time I'm working out a price for a resin product......
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Plus wheels etc.

I have queried on the dark side how you would weigh the Coaches as there is no obvious space other than one end of the brake version. Coachman on there thinks whitemetal bogies would be enough . Cant see that being enough ?
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Visited the 51L/Wizard stand at Doncaster yesterday - luckily I forgot something and went back a second time and this time noticed this forthcoming delight:

Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I can imagine finding a use for a couple of those.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Likewise
Andrew
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

Hi Jonathan, I hadn't seen this thread first time around and would like to ask you something please about the very first post: your pic shows you using a Coffman clamp on that Wizard H&B wagon kit. I have one of these superb little clamps but I've only used it for gluing as I thought soldering heat would damage the foam rubber pads - are you in fact using it for soldering work too, without problems? Or is it perhaps only for whitemetal work, where there's less heat and greater thickness than with brass? Thanks in advance, Chas
Chas
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Hallo Chas,

I always solder whitemetal (now I've got the knack) and I've not had trouble with melting the foam on the clamp. I wouldn't try it with brass, though - I use a piece of wood to brace against for that.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

jwealleans wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:14 am Visited the 51L/Wizard stand at Doncaster yesterday - luckily I forgot something and went back a second time and this time noticed this forthcoming delight:

Right. I made my model of one of these vehicles (...here..., on page 13 of my 'Make do and Mend' thread) in July 2014.

On this basis a commercially (and probably much superior) model of a prototype is made about 3.5 years after I make one. This means I need to speed up my build speed!
Last edited by drmditch on Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chas Levin
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Chas Levin »

jwealleans wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:46 am Hallo Chas,

I always solder whitemetal (now I've got the knack) and I've not had trouble with melting the foam on the clamp. I wouldn't try it with brass, though - I use a piece of wood to brace against for that.
Thanks Jonathan, guess I've been a bit over-cautious... though I see they also do another model with high temperature resistant pads, heavier duty aluminium middle piece (better heat-sink properties), and more access in between the sides and corners, plus an end extension piece for holding in a vice, etc. Excellent piece of kit though, whichever version! (No connection with the makers, just a very happy customer! :D )
Chas
Chas
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Jonathan

I like the look of the Coffman clamp - I might get a couple.

Andrew
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Not new products as such, but Wizard Models has just announced the acquisition of the Mainly Trains range, which included LNER fitted brake gear, conversion kits for J71 to J72, etc.

Announcement here.