Lane Head C&W

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Lane Head C&W

Post by JASd17 »

jwealleans wrote: Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:44 pm Now that's a good use for all those PD open containers I have lying about.
Just worked out you were refering to the DX open container from Parkside Dundas. Not a PD type, which does not exist, I hope?

John?
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

With my usual speed not much has progressed on the GN OCT.

I was troubled about soldering the whitemetal sides onto the brass floor, without a temperature controlled soldering iron. This turned out to be reasonably straightforward, tinning with 145 solder then, with a cleaned up iron putting a layer of low melt 70 over that. Then with plenty of flux just touching the brass floor with the iron to tack the side in place. When happy with the position run the iron along the underside of the floor, as soon as the flux fizzes move on swiftly, just like low melt soldering a whitemetal kit in fact. The only additional problem is that being an open carriage truck, one must not get solder all over the floor etch into the floor plank groves, go carefully with the amount of solder on the iron.

Now to find the vacuum and heating hoses, after all this time, it might be a case of robbing one kit to finish another for now.

The OCT will be loaded with one of Atlantic 3279s A type containers, shown here.
DSC_2507 Open Carriage Truck low res.jpg
John
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Speed is not everything John, it's the enjoyment. Nice looking model as ever, you must bring some along to Wakefield in April so we can all rip them to shreds, so no pressure.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Dave,

The model is ready for the paint shop, so it will be around for shredding at Wakefield.

John
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Would shredding not be a little harsh?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

The next project is a D&S Great Northern horsebox to Diagram 352.
scan008 lower res.jpg
The difficult part of this kit is on the other side of the box from this photo, how does the brake lever operate when it is behind the groom's compartment steps? Dan's solution, with a short brake lever, did not seem right. I have no clear photo of the other side of one of these, excepting those that retained a left-handed lever.

My solution is below. A slightly longer lever, for which I do have some evidence.
DSC_2508 low res.jpg
Finally a view with the OCT now in primer too.
DSC_2509 low res.jpg
John
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Mine looks just the same as yours, John, with the step brackets arched out and the end of the lever more or less level with the pair of bolt heads. I odn't remember using a longer lever in mine - are they different lengths on the two sides?
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

They look excellent John,

I really ought to get back to mine and get them finished. - OCT's that is...
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

jwealleans wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:22 pm Mine looks just the same as yours, John, with the step brackets arched out and the end of the lever more or less level with the pair of bolt heads. I odn't remember using a longer lever in mine - are they different lengths on the two sides?
No Jonathan, they shouldn't be. But looking at my model they are!

It is the drawing suppplied with the kit and in the Blue HCD Vol 3 drawings book that has confused me.

John
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

Re- the GN horse box brakes. I've seen many shunters, use there shunting pole as a lever, to push the brake handle down, there looks to be enough room for it to fit. Maybe this helps.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

I have access to a 1909 Horse Van drawing, and find myself wondering if we know for sure that there were doors on both sides?
Like so many other items other than locos, we do not have enough photographic evidence, in particular photos of both sides
of the same vehicle on the same day.

I also wonder whether they had, because of the vacuum brake, only the need to have one brake lever.
The drawing I am looking at does not appear to show brake handles on both sides, nor does it confirm whether
or not there were doors on both sides. The relevance being that if they were not there would be no steps and
thus nothing to interfere with using the handbrake lever.

I also remember that for many years some GNR wagons had both brake levers at the same end of the vehicle, could
that be what happened?

Paul
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

I have access to a 1909 Horse Van drawing, and find myself wondering if we know for sure that there were doors on both sides?
Like so many other items other than locos, we do not have enough photographic evidence, in particular photos of both sides
of the same vehicle on the same day.

I also wonder whether they had, because of the vacuum brake, only the need to have one brake lever.
The drawing I am looking at does not appear to show brake handles on both sides, nor does it confirm whether
or not there were doors on both sides. The relevance being that if they were not there would be no steps and
thus nothing to interfere with using the handbrake lever.

I also remember that for many years some GNR wagons had both brake levers at the same end of the vehicle, could
that be what happened?

Paul
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Excellent work John, you are almost as fast now as Mr Wealleans.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

I think JW's legal team will be having a word Dave.

But, I have been up-graded to snail's pace.

The Quint set is next! Unless I do a 'quick' NB Fish van.

John
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Well, a bit a of mixed bag here.

GN OCT painted, except for the wooden floor. So not far to go.

I used the same primer, and then paint, Precision Paints teak (which claims to be Dull finish - but is satin at least), at the same time on the horsebox, the finish was hopeless, so it has all been stripped down to start again.

Not exactly sure what went wrong, which is a bit of a worry.

No chance of spray painting over the weekend, the residents will object and it is much too cold outside.

John