Lane Head C&W

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Lane Head C&W

Post by Dave »

John,
I'm sure you have this info, MRJ May/June 1986 has a detailing improvement article on the Slaters V1 kit, and of course NERA supplements 167 of 2002 have some nice drawings.

Keep up the good work.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Finally the horsebox. Some folks had a preview at Wakefield.
Stack 7 Horsebox v2 crop.jpg
This first appeared in Dave's thread some time ago.

It is a D&S kit, and a fine product. But it needs some work, especially on the roof, to make it a good model of the prototype.

I have a list of what I have done, should anyone require it. Most is to do with creating 3D surfaces from flat etched parts.

Cushioned tyres for the wheels too, if that is the term I am looking for?

The positioning of the number and other features are from a photograph, so correct for box 157 in the LNER large insignia period.

I have since discovered the angle of the roofline above the doors is not quite correct. It is a later adaptation to act as a more positive rain strip.

A matter of half a millimetre or so, but noticeable.

The paintwork on the door 'retarders' is a conjecture. The photo of 157 clearly shows the outer frames to be the same colour as the solebar on that particular vehicle. It is unclear as to the rams themselves.

Window frames are 'varnished' wood, not well represented in the photo above.

There it is. The roof is at least as 'character-forming' as the handrails on the NER brake van, to use a 'JW ism'.

John
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Some nice examples of stock there John.

I had a similar idea for the V1 brake van in 7mm. I have one of the Connoisseur V1 kits and I was able to get some additional etched duckets from Jim to add to it when it comes to the top of the pile.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Thanks Rob,

I look forward to seeing a 7mm V1 in time. Almost every van seems to have a slight difference.

Thanks to Dave too. I was not aware of the MRJ articles.

The thread says C&W, better get building the former, an example already done to follow soon.

John
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

A rather shocking lack of posts here.

I am busy with this D&S GN OCT at present, rather early stages. There are issues with the length of the J-hanger plates on the solebars on this particular kit. Indeed some GN OCTs had swing links. The lumps of whitemetal in the foreground are buffers drilled out for fitting sprung heads.
IMG_1244 GN OCT.jpg
I would like to put an LNER A type container on it as a load. Any thoughts as to the best way to model this?

Is the Bachmann A type possible to adapt for the early 1930s?

John
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I may know a man who has some resin ones, John. Is there a good way to get one to you via Doncaster show?
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Thanks Jonathan,

There is no great hurry, no doubt we can arrange something for Scalefour North or thereabouts.

John
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

It's good to see you back posting your excellent models again.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

jwealleans wrote: Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:54 pm This forum needs a 'like' button.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

jwealleans wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:08 am I may know a man who has some resin ones, John. Is there a good way to get one to you via Doncaster show?
I have found a photo on Page 68 of Volume 8 of the Yeadon's, Class K3 & K4, which has just what I wish to create. An A-type container on an OCT, which is the leading vehicle in a No.2 Express Goods. Clear enough to show how the container was secured too, which helps. Looking forward to getting the container at Scalefour North, Thanks JW.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Have found the picture you referred to, and sent you a PM.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

That picture on page 68 is interesting in another way, showing the loco in the early LNER livery with apparently "white" lamp cases.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

DSC_9995 crop resize.jpg
Two of Russ Whitwam's OCTs on Clayton. The left hand one is an LNWR example. I hope my GN example comes close to Russell's, and with a different number of course. The Fish van is one of mine.

John
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

JH146 resize.jpg
A GNR OCT loaded with an open container.

John
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Now that's a good use for all those PD open containers I have lying about.