Sleeper spacings

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Stuart
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Sleeper spacings

Post by Stuart »

HI.

Planning to start building my track work and was wondering what the sleeper spacings for the LNER where. As in center to center.

Thanks
Stuart in OZ
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

In reply to sleeper spacings.
There is a digram in the NERA booklet on P way Standards but this is very small and difficult to make out and is only for a 45ft panel.
However BR bullhead sleeper spacings are very similar and for a 60 ft panel with 24 to the length from the PWI Bullhead supplement:-

C/L of joint to C/l of first sleeper 1'0" then / 2' 3 1/2" / 2' 4" / 2' 5" then 17 spaces of 2' 7" then reducing as per the start to the joint.
For lesser lengths the 2' 7" amount would reduce to suit.

Slightly different for 25 and 26 sleeper spacings and for FB rail.
Hope this answers the query
dlester
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Re: Sleeper spacings

Post by dlester »

Stuart wrote:HI.

Planning to start building my track work and was wondering what the sleeper spacings for the LNER where. As in center to center.

Thanks
Stuart in OZ
Stuart,

I think it depends on the location and age of the track.

For example at Hatfield (Herts) in the 1930s, the ECML was laid in 60 ft sections, and 24 sleepers. But the branch lines to Hertford, St Albans and Luton/Dunstable were still laid in the old GNR 30 foot sections with 9 ordinary 10x5" sleepers and a pair of 12x6" joint sleepers at each end.

In the late 1950s the mainline was relaid in FB section.

So where is your model intended to be, and when?