Close up photos of 6ft 2" driving wheels

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Close up photos of 6ft 2" driving wheels

Post by 45609 »

Can anyone help out with this query please? I am looking for close up photos of LNER 6ft 2" driving wheels as fitted to classes B1, V2 and P2. I'm trawling through a lot of my reference material but I also thought that posting the question here might uncover something I might not have.

Preferably the image needs the be square on and the centre boss should not obscured by the coupling rod or valve gear. The photo below (6ft 8" driver from Bittern) is an example of the ideal.

Click to see a bigger image

I'm looking for photos to assist in research some new 4mm scale wheels being produced by Exactoscale. A 3-D rendering of their design is shown below.

Click to see a bigger image

Although it has been produced from some apparently well researched data I'm not yet completely convinced that the shape of the crank boss is exactly right. I don't believe it had truly straight sides. I think they were waisted in slightly. Some more info on the wheels can be found here.

http://www.exactoscale.co.uk/drivingwheeldesigns.html

Cheers....Morgan
swhite01
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by swhite01 »

I took some pictures of V2 4771 and B1 1306 at the recent Nene Valley Railway Steam Gala. They are at the fotopic site ref below. The pics were for my modelling interests so nothing pretty but I wonder if any will help.

Steve W

http://gallery17789.fotopic.net/

Post by 45609 »

Hi Steve,

These are brilliant. Just what I was looking for. Thanks for letting me know where to find them. The irony is that I saw Green Arrow in the flesh at the Glos Warks Railway over the August bank holiday but unfortunately did not have my camera with me.

Thanks again....Morgan
swhite01
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by swhite01 »

Morgan,

Thank you.....its nice to be able to help.. if you would like full size pics, please email me

Steve W

swhite01@globalnet.co.uk
dlester
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by dlester »

mlgilbert30 wrote:Hi Steve,

These are brilliant. Just what I was looking for. Thanks for letting me know where to find them. The irony is that I saw Green Arrow in the flesh at the Glos Warks Railway over the August bank holiday but unfortunately did not have my camera with me.

Thanks again....Morgan
Morgan,

Be aware that the V2 (and P2) and B1 had different wheels [*]. Brian Rogers put me on the spot once, when I enquired about having some made!

Personally, I'm in the market for the V2/P2 type, as even my chosen B1 ("I'm a Gnu ...") has V2 wheelsets.

[*] Except that some B1's had a few second-hand V2 wheelsets. The Isinglass B1 sheet includes notes about which locomotives were so fitted.

Post by 45609 »

Hi dlester,

That's an interesting comment and I'm aware of the balance weight differences from reading the vol 2B of the green books. Having studied Steve's photos I'm struggling to tell if there are any other differences. Do you know if or in what way the wheels differed (apart from balance weights)? I haven't see the B1 drawing from Isinglass but I presume it mentions the first Darlington batch (1000-1039) that had the V2 type wheel.

Cheers....Morgan