The Flying Scotsman

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

The Flying Scotsman

Post by x568wcn »

I am thinking about upping my layout, due to the limited LNER to Mid BR era, so I can utilise both Early and Late Crests, and was wondering, what would the Flying Scotsman be made up from by then, or was it painted Teak Stock?

I am thinking of upping the 2 straight through tracks to 4 with 2 of them station loops, and putting an ajoining branch platform in.

I think Silver Fox pulling the Flying Scotsman would look perfect, 'Flying' through.
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Mark,

I guess someone is bound to correct me on this, but I believe that by late LNER/early BR times the Scotsman set was largely made up of Thompson stock (with the exception of the triplet set?) so would be either unlined teak or BR livery.

If you're looking to model this in N gauge you can get etched sides for a range of Thompson stock from BH Enterprises. There is also an article on building Thompson coaches, using etched sides over shortened MK1 bodies, in one of the issues of British Railway Modeller - I can't remember which one off the top of my head. The main problem I can forsee with kit building stock is getting hold of Gresley bogies as I am yet to find a supply of decent ones in N...

Hope this helps.
Steve
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

On the subject of Triplet set, looking on Ebay you find Kato Wagons, on articulated bogies. If they can be untilised in any way, like these ones http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ATHEARN-N-GAUGE-C ... dZViewItem

I'm not that short of space, as my largest siding can easily swallow 11 coaches, so scale length (what ever that may be) is within reach!
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I think the truck (bogie) size on the Katos will be wrong. I experimentally tried fitting Microtrains trucks to Farish coaches, and Atlas trucks to Farish open wagons - in both cases they were noticeably too narrow (British N being overscale).

I haven't measured them but I would expect the Bethgon trucks are too short for use as passenger bogies.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia