Pacific Non Coridor Tender

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Pacific Non Coridor Tender

Post by x568wcn »

Does anyone know where I can get hold of a Farish A3/A4 Non Corridor Tender? Or a kit for conversion, as research shows Scotsman was new in 1923 with a Non Corridor (No. Unknown)
05/04/28 - 23/04/29 it had Corridor 5323
08/06/29 - 19/10/36 it had Corridor 5324 (next one) Which ended up, and is still with A4 Sir Nigel Gresley.
Must have an overhaul here
02/07/38 - withdrawal 15/01/63 it had Non corridor 5640
Alan Peglar wanted a Corridor tender, so a swap was arranged with A4 60034 Lord Farringdon.

Basically, I'm doing 1939/1940 LNER and this means my Scotsman Needs a non corridor tender, unless I use modelers licence, and it was only July 38

Mark t
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I don't know of any kits. I thought I'd seen an 8 wheel tender kit in the B.H. Enterprises lists, but when I went looking a few months back for my "Americanised flying Scotsman" I couldn't see it. Haven't got any further with that project, but if anyone has a spare 8 wheel tender, I'd be interested...

Also having trouble finding a suitable cowcatcher. Have most of the other fittings now. (B.H. Enterprises sell lots of things like whistles and Westinghouse pumps)

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Yeadon's

Post by x568wcn »

For my A4 research I bought Yeadon's 2 on the A4 and W1, in there it mentions tenders. and shows a picture outside the works of one, with loads lined up behind in the distance, which gave me an idea for one of my sidings...only BR lines are £15.95 for the chassis and £6.25 for the top, but they only do the LNER Green, which is good for Scotsman, although I have Scotsman and Mallard swapped at the moment (they swapped, but didn't go through the paintshop!

Mark t
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Thanks - I'll have a look at the BR Lines site. I'd noticed the chassis block last time I looked but missed the body.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

3rd item down, I think it's H
I have asked him what come with the chassi EG Couplings and screws, am awaiting reply.

Mark t
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Reply from BR lines

Post by x568wcn »

Dear Mr. Turner,

Tender Chassis are LMS or GWR/SR types. Screws/couplings are included at £12.95, with pickups £15.95.

The only blue tender tops we have left are
Merchant Navy/BOB types at £5.95 each.

Postage included in the pricing.

Regards, Bob Russell

I have re-enquired as to weather he has A3/A4 chassis

Now have reply

Yes, we have A3/A4 tenders at £14.95 each with pick ups, £17.95.
Tender tops £6.25 each. Regards, Bob Russell

Mark t
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Built a double tender

Post by x568wcn »

I have now built a double tender, the Green one is pre paint shop condition, it is all down to a nail, bent round, the screw, and hooked over the coupling

Mark t
Attachments
double-tender-2.JPG
double-tender-2.JPG (15.68 KiB) Viewed 11213 times
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

The thing about the green one is that I'm probably going to have to remove the lining and lettering, and apply the '4472' that it wore.

I'll email BR Lines this week.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
jdtoronto
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by jdtoronto »

Mark,

Just as an aside, I was scarfing around the net the other night and saw that somebody has a "streamlined" A4 body in N gauge. I am not sure what chassis it would fit on, but if I can find it again I am thinking I might get one and try it out. I now have two Farish and two Minitrix A4's, but people doing re-works of A4's seem to talk about an Arnold chassis.

John
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Did you see the article in the latest N Gauge Society Journal?
It has a detailed description of the deficiencies in the Minitrix and Farish models, and a way of fixing them with an Arnold chassis/etc. Looked like it might be quite a bit of work though?

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
jdtoronto
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by jdtoronto »

richard wrote:Did you see the article in the latest N Gauge Society Journal?
It has a detailed description of the deficiencies in the Minitrix and Farish models, and a way of fixing them with an Arnold chassis/etc. Looked like it might be quite a bit of work though?
Richard
Yes, I have it on my bedside table!

I have to go back and re-read it because I am not sure what the surgery achieved. You are rightm it certainly did sound like a major job, down to milling parts of the chassis and removing material inside the loco shell.

John
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

jdtoronto wrote:Mark,

Just as an aside, I was scarfing around the net the other night and saw that somebody has a "streamlined" A4 body in N gauge. I am not sure what chassis it would fit on, but if I can find it again I am thinking I might get one and try it out. I now have two Farish and two Minitrix A4's, but people doing re-works of A4's seem to talk about an Arnold chassis.

John
I bought Sir Nigel Gresley off Ebay in Mintrix version, but found it a totally different model to the farish ones, so sold it on, and I think I lost out, but never mind hey.

The basic problem was the size, the mintrix one is wider, and looked odd compared to the other 2, so gave up on it!

Mark t
Attachments
5.jpg
Mintrix Sir Nigel Gresley
(36.27 KiB) Downloaded 654 times
4.jpg
Farish Union of South Africa
(41.03 KiB) Downloaded 669 times
2.jpg
Farish Mallard
(29.13 KiB) Downloaded 659 times
By Mark t