Stirling Single

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

teaky
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: Stirling Single

Post by teaky »

1. It is good to know your solution works so well. From the sound of it, you are getting far more haulage power from the Atlantic than would be needed for the Single. I for one would accept weaker performance anyway and a locomotive only capable of hauling a shortish train of plastic carriages on the level. I don't expect this goes for everyone but that's my view.

2. I agree completely. I appreciate why Rapido feel the need to look at making a model negotiate sharper (down to radius two) curves but I would much rather see them opt for your additional alternative bogie and mudguards set (something Hornby have done in the past) than compromise the model for people with larger radius curves. Mr Weallans has suggested etched splashers. Perhaps a full set of etched splashers and mudguards?
teaky
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by teaky »

Come to think of it, that Single in the video on the Grantham thread doesn't have any haulage problems.

If it's the one I think it is: Portescap?, half a dozen bogie coaches?
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I don't know which one you have in mind, but the motor is almost as far removed from a Portescap as it's possible to be.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

G'day all

The Stirling Single No 1 had 8ft 1in drivers and 4ft 1in trailing wheels.
If gears are selected to give a 2:1 ratio between trailing axle and driving axle the slippage difference is 1%. This should not cause any problems.

Earlswood nob
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Whilst every body has been rightly concerned about the clearances around the cylinders and the bogie, there is another almost as dramatic
problem, the boiler diameter. In 16.5 gauge, the wheels will need some clearance behind the splashers which means cutting into the boiler, and
not having the open space at the top and sides. With the Cut outs visible, this will be a very difficult thing to camouflage.

All my experiments have been with an 0-6-2 type design, and frankly, driving off the rear trailing wheel, which would allow a lot of weight
over and beneath the main driver and proper room for the motor. If it works for an N1, then why not, and that way you can retain the bogie
splashers and have little removal of the inside of the cylinders.

Paul
teaky
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by teaky »

jwealleans wrote:I don't know which one you have in mind, but the motor is almost as far removed from a Portescap as it's possible to be.
Ah, must be mixing things up. Old K's motor?
teaky
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by teaky »

Apparently it is scratchbuilt, tender drive and now on loan to Locomotion Models.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Yes on all three counts and the motor is a K's, mounted on its side in the tender.
teaky
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by teaky »

Rapido have posted a few images from the 3D scanning.

http://www.rapidotrains.com/single2.html
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Didn't get a photo but there was one at Shildon this weekend as part of the Locomotion Models display at the Diamond Deltic weekend. Looked stunning!
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Nothing to do with Rapido - that's a scratchbuilt model which belongs to Danny Pinnock. We had it running on Grantham almost a year ago.
teaky
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by teaky »

Some pre-production photos posted over on RMweb:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... le/page-22

Looks great so far.
cctransuk
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by cctransuk »

teaky wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:45 pm Some pre-production photos posted over on RMweb:

Looks great so far.
That's not the verdict amongst some RMweb contributors!

Regards,
John Isherwood.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

It is getting rather 'noisy' over on the Dark Side, isn't it? I look forward to seeing what Rapido can do with the extra details, and indeed, what they are looking at next...
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
teaky
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by teaky »

cctransuk wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:42 pm
teaky wrote: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:45 pm Some pre-production photos posted over on RMweb:

Looks great so far.
That's not the verdict amongst some RMweb contributors!

Regards,
John Isherwood.

That's certainly true John. I did use the term "so far" on the assumption that, as Rapido admit, there is still some work to do.

I agree with many of the points being made. The front end isn't quite right but there are a few months to go even allowing for shipping timescales. I know next to nothing about manufacturing metal locomotive bodies, so I don't know if they've passed the point where the main body casting can be altered. It doesn't seem too far off though. The cyclinders look OK but just need to be fitted into the smokebox better in order to get them to sit where they should.