Stirling Single

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

teaky
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Stirling Single

Post by teaky »

CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Re: Stirling Single

Post by CVR1865 »

wow that is news. I wonder how long until they get it on the shelves, their APT-E is moving forward at quite a pace.
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
teaky
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by teaky »

Autumn 2016 apparently.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Well there's no way that it can possibly even approach being a scale model and go round second radius Toytown track. The real thing has fag paper clearances almost everywhere.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

well if they cannot get the tender details right on the promotional material, then what hope?/

The old tender is NOT A STURROCK, it is a Stirling tender, I have checked over many years,and can find no evidence of it having been a Sturrock.

Secondly, the Stirling tender is not the type that was first put on No 1, so that statement is not correct either.

I agree about the clearances, and will be interested to see how they create a working model for the "toytrade"
Paul
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

I said this about DJ Models and their announcements - and I feel I have to say the same thing here. Let's be cautious and see what the future brings.

Rapido are a known quantity in model railways - absolutely - but in steam outline models, not as yet. As Graeme intimates, compromises must be made on the single to make it work.

The NRM have picked the right subject but I remain cautious with the choice of the supplier. I think I will be happier once the APT is out and being reviewed. Jason Schronn I feel I have confidence in to be upfront and honest about the development of this model. Certainly he provides regular updates on pretty much everything he does including CAD drawings, photographs of prototypes and behind the scenes work. I suspect that is because things ARE always going on behind the scenes.

One thing I will say. I am happy that it is announced and is continuing the run of LNER constituent locomotives being made. No.1 herself wasn't active at the grouping but had been saved for posterity. Interesting potential in the model - one tender or two types potentially. The Sturrock tender covers the vast majority of its life, the Stirling tender of course covers pre-preservation and now modern day preservation.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

john coffin wrote:well if they cannot get the tender details right on the promotional material, then what hope?/

The old tender is NOT A STURROCK, it is a Stirling tender, I have checked over many years,and can find no evidence of it having been a Sturrock.

Secondly, the Stirling tender is not the type that was first put on No 1, so that statement is not correct either.

I agree about the clearances, and will be interested to see how they create a working model for the "toytrade"
Paul
Are you sure Paul? It bears a striking resemblance to Sturrock's express passenger tenders, including a passing resemblance to his steam tender design.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

The clearances aspect will be interesting. All the indications from Rapido are a predisposition for accuracy. Hopefully the discussion can be had as the model is developed. I would love an OO manufacturer to 'break the mould' and come out with a larger minimum radius requirement if that is what is required for a model to be decently accurate.

A possible approach on the single is to build it as an 0-6-2, that's how I had been thinking for the making operational of the old Kitmaster that I own. With the bogie fixed the bogie splashers can be fixed too, and we rely on side play to get around curves. Pretty sure that was going to work down to at least a 30" radius. Whatever, Rapido's team can solve the problem now...

Whatever, joy unbounded in a further extension of the Doncaster lineage. The small Sharpie/large Hawthorn/Sturrock single are likely always going to require a scratch build.
Last edited by Hatfield Shed on Wed Apr 08, 2015 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:Well there's no way that it can possibly even approach being a scale model and go round second radius Toytown track. The real thing has fag paper clearances almost everywhere.

I do hope it will be possible to convert it to P4. :mrgreen:
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Very exciting news - personally I was hoping for another pre-LNER No 1 that is also based at Shildon (think electric...) but still great news, and very positive that relatively unlikely types like a Stirling Single are being chosen for RTR production
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Got excited by the news regarding No 1, as I can remember seeing her for the first time at Loughborough MANY years ago - then I saw the price. I may have to save up all of my good graces for this one, as the better-half feels that this is a bit steep for a single (no pun intended) loco when compared to the asking price of the APT-E.

We shall see.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

I cannot believe that there can be any justification in the quoted prices. No matter how good the model may be, I do not feel inclined to fuel the continual price escalation.
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

Pebbles wrote:I cannot believe that there can be any justification in the quoted prices. No matter how good the model may be, I do not feel inclined to fuel the continual price escalation.
I wondered how long that would take :lol:
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Sorry I agree, £200 for a toy train no chance :roll: :roll: plus Autumn 2016 before it will be seen. :?
Cullercoats

Post by Cullercoats »

Clearly people worry about having to tell us all about not buying things they can't afford.
So just thought, for the sake of clarity, that I should communicate that I will not be buying a Lamborghini this or any other year, how can they possibly justify that ridiculous price.
However I will buy a Stirling Single because I would like one and think £200 is good value as I have not got the skill necessary to build one or the funds to have one built for me.

:D