Stirling Single

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

teaky
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: Stirling Single

Post by teaky »

Manxman1831 wrote: Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:09 pm It is getting rather 'noisy' over on the Dark Side, isn't it? I look forward to seeing what Rapido can do with the extra details, and indeed, what they are looking at next...
It is. A lot of the noise though seems to be in response to people asking questions or making constructive comments rather than being negative about Rapido. Beats me what the fuss is about. The comments made have been in the proper spirit and backed up with explanations. All reasonable as far as I can see and surely now is the time to ask rather than when they hit the shelves. Rapido have, in the past, provided answers and explanations regarding why something has been done a certain way, so I'd hope that will be the case this time too.

I'm certainly still looking forward to this model.
cctransuk
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by cctransuk »

I too was prepared to be tempted by this totally inappropriate (for me) model.

However, as Chris Leigh points out, we are seeing an injection-moulded plastic and cast mazak EP; so it's rather late in the day to expect fundamental amendments.

We can but hope that the cylinder / running plate (mis)relationship is merely an assembly oversight - but I'm not optimistic!

Regards,
John Isherwood.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Given the importance of tooling costs, I assumed that it was unlikely that any real revision would now take place.

If I do happen to get such a model I have a file and I'm not afraid to use it......
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

I am committed to buying. Very simple, this is an essential part of the Doncaster story in evolving their format for express passenger locos; and I am pleased that someone else has taken on the headache of making a 4mm powered model. (It's so not like a nice simple six coupled where the layout is obvious and the CoG will naturally come out pretty much central on the driven wheelbase.) As much as anything else I am looking forward to seing how the Rapido designer solves the many problems that lurk on this subject. And if there do appear to be aspects that I can improve on in the finished model, then like Graeme, I have a tool kit and am prepared to use it.

I already suspect that I may need to fit a central light baffle above the bogie to stop daylight comng through the slide bars (a common problem on many RTR steamers, daylight where there should be entirely solid frames).
Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Nova »

I for one will most likely be getting one if and when funds allow, as something planning to build an LNER themed layout (albeit somewhat removed from recorded history, but that's already been touched on in another thread) it'll be an invaluable addition for replicating the all important heritage railtours similar to the ones ran in the 30s. Now to find some 6 wheel coaching stock...

I could even justify having a larger tender compared to the sturrock tender it's had for a good proportion of its life by the fact that as the atlantics were withdrawn in the 50s it would have most likely been handed down a larger tender similar to the one it would have originally used.

On the subject of a drive train. if I could put my two cents on the matter using two existing RTR Stirling singles in different scales as an example.

When Bachmann in the States produced a model of the character called "Emily" from the show about a certain blue tank engine, said character being clearly based on the Stirling single, they incorporated two different drive systems for OO/HO and G gauge., both of which are rather novel solutions

for OO/HO (the version which I have owned). the front bogie in essence does not exist, the front most leading wheel and the trailing wheel is unpowered and are both free to move about. but the carrying wheel just in front of the drive wheel is powered off of the main drive wheel using a series of idler gears proportioned to make it spin at the correct rate meaning from a technical standpoint it runs as a 2-2-2-2. this has also allowed Bachman to incorporate the skirt below the cylinder without risk of the front bogie clipping it because there is no bogie. a video of it running on a rolling road can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrXH1xWplSo

for the G gauge model. from what I understand. the main drive wheel and the trailing wheel are geared together in a similar manner to the HO model. meaning it operates as a 4-2-2-0 with the tractive equivalent of a 4-4-0.

personally I think that the HO drivetrain would have been the best version to replicate as it would allow for the distinctive skirt and under regular running you can't tell that there's no front bogie because the skirting conceals it anyway
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

For those curious about this item, I have one and am well satisfied. External appearance very fine indeed, runs smoothly and sweetly and pulls extremely well. Do have some 'tinkering' plans to further gild this lily (the loco to tender gap could be closed up a little to the advantage of appearance) but that will have to wait for a constructional diagram. (The accompanying documentation is to a good standard, save for the lack of such a diagram. Or have I just failed to find it in the box? Perhaps I should remove all the internal packing.)
Edwardian
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Edwardian »

This model has turned out very well. I was pleased to see that Locomotion/Rapido listened to the constructive criticism referenced above and redesigned the front end. It really is a very fine model. There are quite a few pictures over on the "Dark Side", but forgive me if I indulge in one; the magazines all published pictures of examples suffering from blemished on the smoke boxes, due to the omission of an element of protective packaging on the examples air-freighted over. So, to see one in good shape, and with the accessories fitted, might be of some interest.
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

A photo to illustrate:
IMG_5031.JPG
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Very nice Mike,
We need a pic of your single as well (ex Emily).
MikeTrice
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by MikeTrice »

Now which is better, my Emily or the Locomotion Single. There is only one way to find out: FIGHT

I really should have taken comparison shots yesterday when I had the Locomotion model out but did not think of it at the time. Will see what I can do.
mistahjim
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by mistahjim »

I’m returning for a brief moment to input my own 2p.

I am very pleased with mine, delivery mix up notwithstanding. Having run it in on a test oval I added Hornby non-vestibule Gresleys until I reached 6. The scarcest hint of slip on starting with the entire train on a 3rd radius curve. I’ll call that a success, I’m unlikely to ever ask it for more, especially given the gradients on my main layout. The connection between loco and tender is an excellent design, and if anything makes the sprung buffers on the tender front necessary rather than a gimmick.

Now to fit those splashers...
What do you get when you cut an avocado into 6.022 x10^23 pieces?

Guacamole.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

I'm very pleased with mine, I have to say. Runs beautifully and pulls what i need it to. For use round the Code 100 double slips on Grantham we have had to remove one of the bogie splashers (on the hidden side) but prior to that it went round the 2'9" curves on Little Bytham with no fuss.

The running plate has a slight slope up towards the cab, but you have to look very hard from the right angle to spot it.
kimballthurlow
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by kimballthurlow »

Thanks for the photos all.

I like GNR locos and I was wondering where a person might get this model of No.1 please?

Kimball
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Only from Locomotion Models at Shildon.

They don't appear to be taking orders - probably waiting until the current delivery debacle is resolved. I am given to understand that they will have some models available for sale, though.
kimballthurlow
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by kimballthurlow »

OK thanks will have to keep an eye out.

Kimball