At long last-Robs layout gets underway!

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

rob
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

At long last-Robs layout gets underway!

Post by rob »

Hello all,a late night posting to introduce what may eventually become my new layout.I have finally begun work on baseboards,which,after fitting couplings,pick-ups and coach roofs is my fourth least favourite part of this great hobby!
This is the starting point on the 25/9/07.Some 12mm WBP,a box of C&L baseboard leg adjusters and out of shot a bale of 2"x1",very traditional.Size is approx 38'x16',quite long but narrow,and that chimney stack on the right is more of an obstacle than I anticipated.
and here I was on 4/10/07.Since then I have been doing a lot of thinking and some experimentation with gradients which has changed some elements of my outline plan.I have also had some fun actually running stock,a lot of which must be stunned to find itself in action again!
The broad plan is end to end with two terminus stations and associated goods yards,one with a GNR/GCR bias,the otherNBR/NER.The main aims are a layout which will hopefully ;
1 Operate Reliably
2 Be reasonably easy to maintain for its size
3 Have even a tiny bit of "that" atmosphere as found especially in Peter Dennys Buckingham!...... thats the really difficult bit!
At any rate,only time will tell................
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

Hey Rob,

Looks like you've got alot of space to play with there. I look forward to seeing how your layout progresses. Have got got a track plan yet and if so would you be willing to share it on the boards?

I'm just in the early stages of planning my N gauge layout. My better half and I have just moved into our first home and I've been left with a 12x8 ft room to play with. I'm toying with the idea of making two levels but only time (and money) will tell.

How have you constructed the baseboards? Are they traditional batton frame and plywood top or have you tried something different? I can't wait to see some track down and your B12 in front of a rake of Gresleys!
Steve
Frazmataz
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Frazmataz »

Looking great so far! :D can't wait to see how it progresses!
The user formerly known as Bass.
rob

Post by rob »

Would I be correct in thinking 12'x8' in N must be a proportionally larger area-is the ratio 4 times the space of 00? That should keep you out of mischief :P !When I was aware this space might be available I did experiment with N but was put off by the poor running of some of the early Bachmann China locos.Perhaps I should have hung in there!
It is very traditional,12mm ply on 2x1,the only innovation for me here is C&L leg adjusters,magic timesavers on the uneven floor.I have a trackplan outline in mind but I'm woprking from the odd premise of constructing boards that combine easyish accessability with maximum surface area,then fine the trackplan to fit.Cart before horse?Possibly.
Bass,I will try to keep this updated,it does give me some motivation-I find this the real slogging part of the hobby and it can be hard to visualise an end result at this stage-I'd rather be building stock but also really want a proper running layout!
Rob
rob

Post by rob »

Hello all,gradually continuing work on my LNER real estate,this week was a bit slower than usual and involved one night simply carting newly delivered ply up to the attic.I'm also stopping a lot for head-scratching sessions but I think there is some overall direction emerging.Bad kit-building withdrawal symptoms though,will have to do something about that soon,even if its only a plastic wagon!Here are a few shots which show the first pennisular board in place,framework screwed together only until the next one is in place in case I need to alter anything.
The next board will cross from the RHS and then down towards the gable,all going well.Each is 3' wide,not a lot but easy to maintain and I need to be able to walk around the layout.There will still be 2 duckunders I'm afraid,despite my best efforts.
This is the scene from the other direction.The next pennisular board will not connect at this end to allow me walk around and down the middle where the main control area will be located.Thus the two terminus stations will be side by side,but facing opposite directions.The boards should also accomodate goods and loco facilities,though I'm aware it will all be very elongated,which is not ideal.
And this was the first train,an ancient,heavyweight McGowan D49 which strolled away with the Hornby Pullmans.(They will eventually be gone over a little to blend in with the kitbuilt coaches but I think life is too short to build Pullmans,never mind try to paint and line them!).I am currently aiming to plan around 8 coach trains to allow room for other facilities.
And room will have to be found for this little guy!Don't know what the other locos will say when the humans are ouy of the way!
Frazmataz
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Frazmataz »

Those baseboards look pretty sound :) much further than my layout (still on the floor)! I envy you for having space for 8 coach trains too! The longest I can manage is four...

ah, I love Thomas. Any layout just isn't the same without him XD
rob

Post by rob »

Another update on progress so far.The two penninsular boards have their supports in place now and so far so good.
Tomorrow hopefully ordering the last of the ply and the 2x1 to T up the legs-they are OK but I wouldn't like to rely on that slim softwood over any number of years without bracing
I hope to make some progress on the smaller spaces by the chimney stack very soon.
However,I am also more than tempted to get on with final finishing of the J12's and end that saga at last-I have a bit of time this week and could do with a break from the "carpentry"! Roll on the new Chivers Pigeon Vans too,they are the next scheduled break!
From the other end;
Last edited by rob on Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frazmataz
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Frazmataz »

Interesting... Any chance of uploading a track plan? I'm quite interested to see how it will meander round all of that boarding :P
rob

Post by rob »

Hello Bass,
The trackplan will be based on the existing "classic" layout which is great fun to operate.It will be a little more prototypical perhaps.I'm afraid I will be doing my usual chess game with lots of track bits rather than working from a well-thought plan but essentially its a large end to end,not roundy.My better half has suggested altering the closer end board to eliminate the worst duck under,a good suggestion which I'm going to seriously consider.I don't have the technology to post drawings etc but will try to provide aerial views of the track planning process!This is a really bad way to build a layout but there is a logic which may become clear as things progress!Realistically,tracklaying probably won't be until into the new year,theres a lot to be done to the boards yet.
Frazmataz
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Frazmataz »

'classic' layout? What's that then? :lol:

In terms of planning, that's pretty much how my layout is going to be as well XD What I've done is determined the positions of points (which are packed together in groups), straight line sections and turntable, and then the curves that will connect them will be flexible track that is cut to size. With luck, there'll be plenty of space for decent radius curves :)
rob

Post by rob »

Hi Bass,
Just to clarify that,not a classic layout as in I own "Buckingham" or something amazing like that,but a layout to run classic models like Dublo A4's,Tri-ang B12's etc on.
Buildings etc are in the style of period manufacturers,accessories of the time but modern track and electrics.Its just jammed with track but great fun to operate so the new layout will be on a similar principle.
Frazmataz
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Frazmataz »

aaah, I get the idea. Sound like enormous fun :) unfortunately, I have no space for something like that, so I'm settling for something simpler on my layout(s).

Can't wait to see more as it progresses :wink:
Captain Baxter fan 626
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Captain Baxter fan 626 »

I just wanted to say that this looks like it will turn out very well. Can't wait to see it with more track. Oh and I agree with Bass on Thomas a railway just wouldn't be a great one without him when I start mine I intend to make a model of him. (Along with Sodor engines 2-7)
Frazmataz
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Frazmataz »

Captain Baxter fan 626 wrote: Oh and I agree with Bass on Thomas a railway just wouldn't be a great one without him when I start mine I intend to make a model of him. (Along with Sodor engines 2-7)
only 1-7? Such a collection would surely be incomplete without 8 and 11 at least? XD
Captain Baxter fan 626
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Captain Baxter fan 626 »

Well those engines are real engines I plan to model them. But engines 1-7 (other than Toby of course) are not true to their original design (Edward being a modified larger Seagull class and not a unmodified) but I agree that you are right it would not work with out the western engines and the Scottish twins.
Once an engine attached to a train, Was afraid of a few drops of rain.
He went into a tunnel, and squeaked through his funnel! And would not come out again.