Bananas and fish ??

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard, Tom F

User avatar
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'
Posts: 5307
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:51 am
Location: 2850, 245

Re: Bananas and fish ??

Post by Atlantic 3279 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:26 am

Has anybody managed to find the above mentioned "Harry's not quite model album" please? If so, would they care to share a link? I've drawn a blank.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.

User avatar
S.A.C. Martin
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'
Posts: 1994
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:11 pm

Re: Bananas and fish ??

Post by S.A.C. Martin » Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:06 pm

Really interesting thoughts here gents. Thank you to everyone who has replied!

So follow up question - if it's just LNER vans in a fish train, is it really likely that you only get two diagrams of LNER fish vans in a train...? So more constituent and common user vans required?

What kits/models should I be looking at to add to my fish train (ECML, V2 hauled) - I think my 1946-49 era layout is likely too early for blue spot wagons almost certainly, do I need to look at converting a few of the old Hornby H&B style vans for use in the train...?

I must get a copy of the necessary Tatlow volumes.

Woodcock29
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'
Posts: 385
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:59 am
Location: South Australia

Re: Bananas and fish ??

Post by Woodcock29 » Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:48 pm

My current fish train of 27 vans (mid-late 1930s) comprises:
5 LNER outside frame vans built 1927-32 (D&S)
2 NE (D&S)
3 GC outside frame (D&S)
2 GC 12T long wheelbase (D&S)
2 GN, 5T & 6T (Jidenco)
2 earlier GC (Chivers)
4 LNER 12ft wb (Cotswold and Parkside)
3 LNER Dia 68 (Bachmann)
2 kitbashed 3H to Dia 68
1 other version of LNER, similar to Dia 68 but with single end vent
1 GN vent van

The only vans above not designed for fish traffic are the GN vent van and the 2 GC long wheelbase vans but these two were converted by GC to carry fish.

I have 9 more to add to the train, 3 secondhand NE D&S, 1 more D&S GC long wb van, 2 more D&S GC outside frame, 2 D&S GN 6T and R&E (now from Brassmasters) GC bogie fish van.

Hope this helps.

Also there is a whole chapter on Fish traffic in the first volume of The Great Central in LNER Days by David Jackson and Owen Russell.

Andrew
Last edited by Woodcock29 on Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
S.A.C. Martin
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'
Posts: 1994
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:11 pm

Re: Bananas and fish ??

Post by S.A.C. Martin » Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:03 pm

Brilliant info, thank you.

Lots more work to do!

User avatar
All thumbs
H&BR Q10 0-8-0
Posts: 181
Joined: Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:44 am

Re: Bananas and fish ??

Post by All thumbs » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:01 pm

Absolutely salivating here in the corner - pictures please, Andrew!
Be gentle! Returning to the hobby after more than 20 years away...

Trestrol
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'
Posts: 389
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:48 pm
Location: Earsdon Grange signal box

Re: Bananas and fish ??

Post by Trestrol » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:50 pm

S.A.C. Martin wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:06 pm
Really interesting thoughts here gents. Thank you to everyone who has replied!

So follow up question - if it's just LNER vans in a fish train, is it really likely that you only get two diagrams of LNER fish vans in a train...? So more constituent and common user vans required?

What kits/models should I be looking at to add to my fish train (ECML, V2 hauled) - I think my 1946-49 era layout is likely too early for blue spot wagons almost certainly, do I need to look at converting a few of the old Hornby H&B style vans for use in the train...?

I must get a copy of the necessary Tatlow volumes.
The LNER designed new fish vans to dia214 which started to appear at nationalisation. The first diagram of BR "Blue Spots" dia800 is virtually identical although they did not have roller bearings. These would do for the 1946-49 trsin along with some older types.

User avatar
S.A.C. Martin
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'
Posts: 1994
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:11 pm

Re: Bananas and fish ??

Post by S.A.C. Martin » Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:26 am

Trestrol wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:50 pm
S.A.C. Martin wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:06 pm
Really interesting thoughts here gents. Thank you to everyone who has replied!

So follow up question - if it's just LNER vans in a fish train, is it really likely that you only get two diagrams of LNER fish vans in a train...? So more constituent and common user vans required?

What kits/models should I be looking at to add to my fish train (ECML, V2 hauled) - I think my 1946-49 era layout is likely too early for blue spot wagons almost certainly, do I need to look at converting a few of the old Hornby H&B style vans for use in the train...?

I must get a copy of the necessary Tatlow volumes.
The LNER designed new fish vans to dia214 which started to appear at nationalisation. The first diagram of BR "Blue Spots" dia800 is virtually identical although they did not have roller bearings. These would do for the 1946-49 trsin along with some older types.
That's interesting. So if I modified a few Hornby Blue Spot wagons to have the oil bearing type axleboxes, that would produce a dia214 effectively? Failing that - build the parkside dia 800 wagon?

I note the NYMR has one of these 1948 built wagons being restored.

Trestrol
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'
Posts: 389
Joined: Fri Jul 25, 2008 7:48 pm
Location: Earsdon Grange signal box

Re: Bananas and fish ??

Post by Trestrol » Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:44 pm

S.A.C. Martin wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:26 am
Trestrol wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:50 pm
S.A.C. Martin wrote:
Wed Feb 27, 2019 12:06 pm
Really interesting thoughts here gents. Thank you to everyone who has replied!

So follow up question - if it's just LNER vans in a fish train, is it really likely that you only get two diagrams of LNER fish vans in a train...? So more constituent and common user vans required?

What kits/models should I be looking at to add to my fish train (ECML, V2 hauled) - I think my 1946-49 era layout is likely too early for blue spot wagons almost certainly, do I need to look at converting a few of the old Hornby H&B style vans for use in the train...?

I must get a copy of the necessary Tatlow volumes.
The LNER designed new fish vans to dia214 which started to appear at nationalisation. The first diagram of BR "Blue Spots" dia800 is virtually identical although they did not have roller bearings. These would do for the 1946-49 trsin along with some older types.
That's interesting. So if I modified a few Hornby Blue Spot wagons to have the oil bearing type axleboxes, that would produce a dia214 effectively? Failing that - build the parkside dia 800 wagon?

I note the NYMR has one of these 1948 built wagons being restored.
Yes should be quite easy although the check the side framing as the second BR batch dia 801 had extra external framing.

User avatar
S.A.C. Martin
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'
Posts: 1994
Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:11 pm

Re: Bananas and fish ??

Post by S.A.C. Martin » Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:10 am

Trestrol wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 1:44 pm
S.A.C. Martin wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:26 am
Trestrol wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:50 pm


The LNER designed new fish vans to dia214 which started to appear at nationalisation. The first diagram of BR "Blue Spots" dia800 is virtually identical although they did not have roller bearings. These would do for the 1946-49 trsin along with some older types.
That's interesting. So if I modified a few Hornby Blue Spot wagons to have the oil bearing type axleboxes, that would produce a dia214 effectively? Failing that - build the parkside dia 800 wagon?

I note the NYMR has one of these 1948 built wagons being restored.
Yes should be quite easy although the check the side framing as the second BR batch dia 801 had extra external framing.
Good shout, though hopefully won't affect my builds as I am LNER 1946-49 and there will only be a few of these in the train as a result. :)

Thanks for all your help, gentlemen.

harry lamb
NER Y7 0-4-0T
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:40 pm

Re: Bananas and fish ??

Post by harry lamb » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:44 pm


User avatar
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'
Posts: 5307
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:51 am
Location: 2850, 245

Re: Bananas and fish ??

Post by Atlantic 3279 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:24 pm

Thank you.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.

Post Reply