Dapol vs Minitrix Gresley coaches

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

smudger
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Dapol vs Minitrix Gresley coaches

Post by smudger »

A while ago I read somewhere that the Dapol and Minitrix Gresley coaches don't mix well. Is this true? Besides the obvious issue of livery as I would repaint all coaches anyway. Are they to a slightly different scale? I ask because some Ultima overlays for Minitrix Gresleys are still available and I was wondering if they would fit the Dapols instead.

Alan
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I have not compared the two, but I hear the bogies on the Dapols are set in a little bit (1mm or 2) too much, and this is another 'obvious' difference. Of course you would need to be looking at the coaches at rail level to see this.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
TonyM
NBR J36 0-6-0

coaches

Post by TonyM »

Hi Smudger
I suspect that you will find a slight difference in size as the Minitrix models are built to Continental 160-1 scale as opposed to British 148-1. If you ever got a chance to compare the 2 companies A4s, the Minitrix model looked too big. I have a rake of Minitrix Gresleys and they tend to dwarf the Farish A4s. I run mine behind a Union Mills B12 and they look OK. Can`t wait to see the Dapol teaks.
TonyM
Real Trains Run on Steam and have LNER on the tender.
Frazmataz
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Frazmataz »

It's not unusual for older models to be produced to a slightly bigger scale than more recent ones. Difference is even more likely if the model has been produced by a non-British company.
The user formerly known as Bass.
smudger
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by smudger »

Thanks for the info all of you. Think I'll avoid the Minitrix Gresleys and the Ultima overlays.

Alan