Gresley teak suburbans

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Gresley teak suburbans

Post by 65447 »

mick b wrote:Hornby haven't made the round corner version in Teak as they were BR builds. We don't need grammar checks on here , we are friendly here its not RM Web .
Post corrected to round. In the initial product release information Hornby provided several prototype photographs - that below shows a round-cornered window BT4 in simulated teak. Just because they were built post-Nationalisation does not mean that they were painted in a yet-to-be-decided BR livery... and just because they had square-cornered windows does not mean that they could not be produced in crimson or maroon.
hornby_BR_thompson_non-corridor_brake_third.jpg
It is nothing to do with 'grammar'.
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

If Hornby reissued the Gresley teak version with lining and teak ends, the lining could be removed and the ends painted black but we don't have the option as there aren't any to buy. It wouldn't cost much to modify them.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Well, guess what are in the Hornby 2016 announcement... http://www.hornby.com/uk-en/shop/new-fo ... aches.html :)
Danby Wiske
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Danby Wiske »

65447 wrote:Well, guess what are in the Hornby 2016 announcement... http://www.hornby.com/uk-en/shop/new-fo ... aches.html :)
Be aware that the printed teak finish on the more recent corridor coaches isn't nearly as impressive as the original releases (change of factory presumably?).
I'll be wanting to see one of the new non-corridor ones before I part with any cash!!!
LNER4489
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by LNER4489 »

Was that just on the 5 concession only early BR livery ones ? I am hoping it was only for those. Tom
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

Back to the suburbans, I rang Hornby and they don't know why they have jumped from R4516 to R4516B and R4517 to R4517B as there haven't been any A variants.

When R4518 was issued it was quickly followed by R4518A so the B variant is correct in this case.

It seems they aren't doing a variant of R4515 (1st Class).
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Kestrel wrote:It seems they aren't doing a variant of R4515 (1st Class).
Not surprising, since none of the versions have sold well and have remained in the 'catalogue' long past their contemporaries. A pity really because later on those in the London area were re-classified to Thirds whilst those in other areas became Composites. A little flexibility in the numbering and liveries would increase the ROI in the tool.
Phil

Post by Phil »

The next trio of these have started to appear with the brake 3rd. The 'teak' effect is different to the first releases and IMHO not as good, resembling the early BR corridor stock they released in limited numbers (at least with those there was a price advantage!). Rather a shame for those looking to make up a rake with a mix of examples from both releases. Different factory?
Danby Wiske
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Danby Wiske »

As I suspected...
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Phil wrote:The next trio of these have started to appear with the brake 3rd. The 'teak' effect is different to the first releases and IMHO not as good, resembling the early BR corridor stock they released in limited numbers (at least with those there was a price advantage!). Rather a shame for those looking to make up a rake with a mix of examples from both releases. Different factory?
As one too young to have seen varnished teak - and indeed the faux grained teak - in service in LNER ownership, I am dependent on what evidence can be seen in colour photographs of both individual vehicles and trains. What I see in photographs is variation, major variation. Within a single vehicle panels could range from near chocolate to a golden straw with the shades in between in variations of both red brown and grey brown tones, and from high gloss to dull and very dirty; I would guess reflecting all of timber quality, effects of 'weathering' in service, and possibly some patch repairs or refinishing. Likewise from vehicle to vehicle when a good section of a train is on view, especially when a coach probably just out of shops is coupled to one urgently in need of re-varnishing.

So it might actually be realistic to have significantly different appearance from vehicle to vehicle?
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

The photo is a mock up if I am looking at the right picture. Yes ,no two coaches would ever be the same. Age weathering etc etc.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

mick b wrote:Hornby haven't made the round corner version in Teak as they were BR builds. We don't need grammar checks on here , we are friendly here its not RM Web .

http://www.ehattons.com/51212/Hornby_R4 ... etail.aspx
I like this comment.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Phil

Post by Phil »

Hatfield and Mick B both make valid points. No 2 bits of cut wood can be identical! Running numbers suggest they are from the same tree though! Studying the boxes, it would appear the 'different factory' theory is correct. One difference that cannot be explained by weathering etc is the colour of the handrails round the guards compartment, light brown in the first release and black in the second. Not enough to spoil things for me, I am just glad there IS a second release, but some contributors may take a different view. We await the second batch of Thompson suburbans with interest and perhaps compare different factories attempts at painting plastic to look like painting fake wood onto metal!
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Oh dear they have gone for the MFI special look !!

https://railsofsheffield.com/lner-gresl ... b0-5244381
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

deleted
Last edited by Kestrel on Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.