Gresley teak suburbans

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Gresley teak suburbans

Post by Kestrel »

Isn't it about time Hornby released more versions (running numbers) of its Gresley teak suburban stock? We've only had five, R4515 1st, R4516 3rd, R4517 1st/3rd as well as R4518 and R4518A 3rd brakes. (Incidentally, Hatton's have R4518As in stock if anyone wants one.)

There's been numerous versions of the corridor stock with six of the 1st/3rd brake (R4170) alone.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Gresley teak suburbans

Post by 65447 »

Apart from the fact that they have been released in teak, crimson and maroon liveries, I think you will find that there have been at least two more alternate numbers released for the crimson versions, save for the 1st, which does not appear to have sold that well simply because of it's restricted areas of use. At the same time the Thompson non-gangwayed (not Suburban - inaccurate terminology) carriages have been released in both crimson and maroon liveries and already alternate numbers have been issued for the crimson versions.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Are we losing the ability to renumber our coaches ourselves ?.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I was tempted to ask last night whether there was anything wrong with a spot of careful renumbering.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

There are modellers who collect models, and run them in the condition, livery and with the number that they came.

I get a great deal of satisfaction in building locos to my desires. Even my small fleet of RTR locos have been renumbered, changed livery, and in the most cases modified in some way.

However, who are we to judge people by their modelling ability?

If they want to collect and run models in factory condition and get pleasure from it, then let them do so. If through this forum, they do progress into altering a model to their requirements, then let us all be pleased.

My own modelling skills and research have improved in the time since I found this forum. I used to get enjoyment from building a kit to its exact design, but now I seek out a prototype and build to that. I haven't reached the skill level of the expert modellers that frequent this forum, but my satisfaction level has increased.

Earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:I was tempted to ask last night whether there was anything wrong with a spot of careful renumbering.
And I forget to add that John Isherwood of Cambridge Custom Transfers offers an extensive set of BR period alternative numbers for both the Gresley and Thompson non-gangwayed carriages - sheet BL124 - complete with extensive notes: http://www.cctrans.org.uk/products.htm
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

. . . . . but you have to be able to get the Gresley teak coaches in the first place to renumber and there doesn't seem to be any for sale. I don't want Thompson ones or RED ones that's why I said Gresley teak.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Kestrel wrote:. . . . . but you have to be able to get the Gresley teak coaches in the first place to renumber and there doesn't seem to be any for sale. I don't want Thompson ones or RED ones that's why I said Gresley teak.
All the Gresley's that Hornby make are teak, just finished in different liveries. I guess what you REALLY meant to say was in the 'varnished teak finish'...

Even then IIRC the livery was the lined version, which restricted them to the early LNER period. Perhaps the sales of these were not sufficient to justify additional production runs? Certainly the manufacturing costs with the multiple passes to produce the finish and hence selling price were substantial.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Kestrel wrote:. . . . . but you have to be able to get the Gresley teak coaches in the first place to renumber and there doesn't seem to be any for sale. I don't want Thompson ones or RED ones that's why I said Gresley teak.
I see what you mean now.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Danby Wiske
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Danby Wiske »

65447 wrote:All the Gresley's that Hornby make are teak
I thought they were plastic...
Herbert Nigel
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Herbert Nigel »

Not wishing to be as pedantic as some ........ but I presumed from the start that anyone quoting Gresley TEAK coaches meant models with a teak finish - otherwise we generally simply refer to a "Gresley coach in (early/late) (British Railways/ BR livery) don't we? Or have we reached a stage where drawing numbers and dating evidence are required to ask a question about a Hornby plastic toy? How many models do Hornby produce of Gresley carriages that weren't constructed of teak wood?
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

I was never in doubt about the fact that teak referred to vehicles that look like teak. Why choose to assume that the reference includes red vehicles?

Regarding lack of further new examples of these models, that serves to reinforce a point that I've discussed with 40C several times in the last two or three years. Batch production by contractors in the Far East means that repeat supplies of ANY model are never a certainty. If you think you need one, or several, you'd better get them as soon as the first batch is available. If it turns out you've bought more than you need, there's every chance of getting your money back plus profit by re-selling on eBay to the desperate.

Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

I must admit that I did lose my temper when I read some of the sarcastic replies to the original message.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Kestrel wrote:I must admit that I did lose my temper when I read some of the sarcastic replies to the original message.
My first reply was not intended to be sarcastic. It pointed out that first and subsequent production runs had been made of the Gresley stock in both Crimson and Maroon, whilst the Thompson stock had also been produced in both BR period liveries. Round-windowed Thompson's could be done in the simulated teak but have not.

This clearly indicates that the sales demand is for BR-period models but not for early LNER. That is the most likely explanation as to why the varnished teak livery has not been rerun, with the cost and complexity of producing that livery being a contributory factor.

Incidentally it is good practice to refer to the material when describing Gresley carriages; from 1936 onwards the non-vestibuled carriages, single and twins, and including the later Tourist sets, were steel-panelled. I wish Hornby would produce some of them!
Last edited by 65447 on Sat Nov 14, 2015 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Hornby haven't made the round corner version in Teak as they were BR builds. We don't need grammar checks on here , we are friendly here its not RM Web .

http://www.ehattons.com/51212/Hornby_R4 ... etail.aspx