Hornby 2016

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Hornby 2016

Post by Hatfield Shed »

On top of which, there is absolutely no shortage of attractive subjects yet to become available in 4mm RTR model form. Potentially plenty of scope for double the number of present RTR outfits, with small risk of any trodden on toes. But this would mean either working fast on bringing a model to market if going for a highly placed wishlist item, or looking at relatively unexplored territory.

I have been using the wishlist results to guide my DIY efforts, to avoid 'pre-duplicating' something that then appears in RTR form. A little research will show that Hornby alone, trailing the wishlist results by about four years, have released/announced near 40% of the most highly placed subjects (includes the Q6), with another 40% taken by other established outfits. Poor odds on avoiding duplication for a highly placed wishlist subject, as the pile up of four proposed/two actual Adams Radials demonstrated. So if you cannot get your product to market really fast in order to be well ahead of any competitor, go for something attractive that isn't high up the wishlists.
GeoffBird
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by GeoffBird »

Regarding the new D16/3 variant from Hornby (R3433 due June 2016), whilst the Hornby Website doesn't say a lot, the Hattons one says "Class D16/3 Claude (sic) Hamilton 4-4-0 '8900' in LNER lined apple green" Presumably this would then be 8900 as rebuilt to D14/2, later D16/3, in 1933 (as pictured on P32 of the appropriate Yeadon). This is OK for me but I notice that the front framing is diferent from their other models, e.g. 62530. I suupose one will have to wait until 2017 for 62614 to appear.
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Thanks for that info Geoff.

Hornby have covered both front ends in the releases they have done so far. The LNER black lined in red model of No 8825 released a few months ago has the front end you refer to for 8900, ie the piston valve version. However there are other differences between 8900 and 8825. Namely 8825 has a single Gresley type snifting valve whereas 8900 has twin GE type snifting valves and also has small washout plugs on the firebox sides instead of the larger handholes that 8825 is fitted with. It will be interesting to see if Hornby attempt to cover these variations - the snifting valves are easy but the washout plugs really require a different boiler/firebox casting.

Woodcock29
Sea Eagle
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Sea Eagle »

The latest Hornby Club magazine appears to be listing A3 "Firdaussi" as a separate item under catalogue number R3437, although it's somewhat ambiguous. The website is still only listing it as part of the Gresley Collection. The photo is clearly a rehash of "Book Law" albeit with the running plate straightened out. Let's hope the finished product doesn't repeat the quality problems we saw with "Book Law". It should also have a 94A boiler if it's in pre war condition...
GeoffBird

Post by GeoffBird »

Have just been informed that the Hornby D16/3 No. 8900 "Claud Hamilton" has arrived in their warehouse and is beng distributed. I await comments when someone actually get their hands on one.
GeoffBird

Post by GeoffBird »

Also three "new" J15's have also arrived in LNER, early BR and late BR liveries, though they cost 5 Pounds more than thoise from 2015.
All thumbs
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by All thumbs »

Rails are offering it from their website https://railsofsheffield.com/lner-4-4-0 ... 29957.aspx at £106.50 + £4.00 p&p.
Be gentle! Returning to the hobby after more than 20 years away...
mistahjim
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by mistahjim »

Is it me or does it just look better in black?

In other (non-LNER) Hornby news, have people seen the announcement of the Wainwright SECR H class?

It has just occurred to me that with Kernow doing a fine job of commissioning south western prototypes, perhaps a retailer in the East should consider something similar for the less likely to be produced LNER types? Lobby Rails to look at some GCR tank engines?
What do you get when you cut an avocado into 6.022 x10^23 pieces?

Guacamole.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Not much motivation for 'Eastern Area' model shops to risk such an investment, when the model manufacturers are generally supporting the LNER group with product fairly steadily? If we take our dearly beloved steam locos as a rough yardstick, a quick count shows that there is rough parity in numbers of models from the LNER group as compared to the other three. About the only subject I could imagine from the Southern area getting a commissioned model is the J70 tram engine. There's some romance about them, in part thanks to Awdry, and nothing else comparable in the UK; possibly one for an East Anglian retailer?

There is undoubtedely a 'hole' in coverage of the LNER group, in the way of only one recently produced NER origin model - thankfully a goodun by all accounts - and nothing of current standard from the Scottish constituents. But is there a model shop in those areas with the financial muscle to chance their arm? The best bet seems to me to be the NRM, and any of the Scottish museum collections, deciding that one of the lovely things they have in their collections might just make a profitable model.
cctransuk
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by cctransuk »

If any region has been well supported by the trade it is the Southern - mainly by Hornby.

Nonetheless, Kernow seem to be able to make money from even more SR coverage.

Regards,
John Isherwood.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Not that I expect anything, but as the H class tends to confirm that Hornby's factories have the method for mass production of mechanically effective models of small boilered 0-6-0s well and truly sorted out, that suggests that they could very easily produce a J21, J24 or J25 to add to the Q6s that are only just addressing the long deficient coverage of NE locos. Given the similarities between the J15 and these NE classes, I had hoped that a convincing conversion might be possible but there are some awkward points because of the way that parts of the J15 have been modelled. Some real vintage in the form of a Stirling 0-6-0 ought to be within the limits of the current techniques too, but I fear, rather unlikely....
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Postman Prat
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Postman Prat »

Whilst the Southern as a whole has been well supported in recent years most of the 'interesting' (ie non-Bulleid and non-Maunsel) locos have been for the Western Division. There is very little for the SE&CR and Brighton areas.
PP
The light at the end of the tunnel is probably a train coming towards you!!
Saint Johnstoun
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Saint Johnstoun »

Kernow appear to be selling the four Gresleys separately.
teaky
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by teaky »

They're not the only ones and they are cheaper elsewhere.

I haven't seen the A1 or A3 from the "glossy" pack in the flesh but I'm not convinced Hornby have sorted the upward tilt at the front of the footplate. Like Book Law it may be pot luck or just accept there will be some straightening to be done.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Have look at the ones Rails have listed .

Woolwinder not too bad

Firdausi simply dreadful. The footplate below the firebox totally distorted and gaping.

I have nearly finished a makeover on a equally dire Book Law. On Book law the Loco is a new moulding or at least part of is. The Footplate curve is too long for the Firebox hence the gapping and poor overall fit that end , plus the aircraft carrie front end.

I wont bother with any of these unless they start appearing at a silly price. The Gloss finish is not to my taste :shock: :shock: