Hornby 2016

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

D2100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: Hornby 2016

Post by D2100 »

Woodcock29 wrote:... Maybe DJ will do a J27 if they haven't got far yet with the Q6?
He'd be rather foolish if he did. Now Hornby have an NER tender, they'd surely look at what else could use it.
Ian Fleming

Now active on Facebook at 'The Clearing House'
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

You may well be right. Although whether Hornby is likely to do either a J26/J27 or J21 in the short term given the J15 is still recent who knows. However, given there are preserved examples, which seems to be a significant aspect in what is modelled by the major RTR companies, they might - we'll just have to wait and see.

I'm hoping someone might do a decent N7 but I think that's more unlikely from Hornby given they have the N2. An upgrade of the N2 wouldn't go astray.

What is certain is that we have been blessed with a great selection of LNER locos over the last 6 years or so starting with Bachmann's O4 - something we wouldn't have dreamt of 10 or more years ago. Lets hope we get some pre-grouping coaches in due course although I quite like building coaches now I've embarked on an extensive program of GN coaches but they do take a lot of time - at least as much as a loco if not more!

Woodcock29
RayS
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by RayS »

Those of us with Great Eastern leanings have certainly been well served by Hornby a new B-12 plus B-17, J-15, D-16, and of course Britannias and B-1's. Sure an N-7 or J-69 would be wonderful... and an E-4? Mustn't be greedy though, but something in the smaller end of the spectrum would be useful.

RayS
LNER4489
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by LNER4489 »

The Queen of Scots set R3402 will include "4500 Garganey in LNER garter blue with all steel K type brake no 77, kitchen first Thelma, parlour first Sheila. Will include name boards including for the loco." This is courtesy of a kind soul named David who bought the Hornby book at Warley and let me know. Tom
Woodcock29

Post by Woodcock29 »

I've just realised the D16/3 listed for 2016 says LNER and Claud Hamilton so presumably it is the piston valve version as 8900 Claud Hamilton in LNER green for late 1930s. Interestingly 8900 is one of the first batch of 10 rebuilt with piston valves and as such has twin snifting valves and a firebox with washout plugs rather than the single snifting valve and handholes that the Hornby LNER 8825 from the second batch of 10 has. I was intending to build my Crownline kit as 8900 in LNER green so I might think about that further depending on what Hornby produce.

Woodcock29
kimballthurlow
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by kimballthurlow »

Is the D16 a metal body? I am unable to determine this from the Hornby website.
Found it. "Diecast body and removable coal load".

Thankyou.
Kimball
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Woodcock29 wrote:I've just realised the D16/3 listed for 2016 says LNER and Claud Hamilton so presumably it is the piston valve version as 8900 Claud Hamilton in LNER green for late 1930s. Interestingly 8900 is one of the first batch of 10 rebuilt with piston valves and as such has twin snifting valves and a firebox with washout plugs rather than the single snifting valve and handholes that the Hornby LNER 8825 from the second batch of 10 has. I was intending to build my Crownline kit as 8900 in LNER green so I might think about that further depending on what Hornby produce.

Woodcock29
Potentially not 8900 - the nameplates were transferred from 8900 when it was withdrawn in 1947 and put onto D16/3 no.2546 I recall. That seems more likely - and if that's the case, the loco may be wartime black or postwar LNER livery and not apple green.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Woodcock29 wrote:...I'm hoping someone might do a decent N7 but I think that's more unlikely from Hornby given they have the N2. An upgrade of the N2 wouldn't go astray...
I have Bachmann down for the N7, and here's why. They have pretty consistently 'gone round the country' in wheel arrangements where there are available subjects (some more quickly than others though,'tis true). Got a 56xx, Brighton E4, and the LNW Coal Tank is announced. Clearly a gaping hole has developed in their range on the dry side.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Even easier a F8 they already have the LMS 2-4-2 chassis.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

mick b wrote:Even easier a F8 they already have the LMS 2-4-2 chassis.
Yes please, put me down for 3.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
2002EarlMarischal
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by 2002EarlMarischal »

Very pleased with the new announcements, but typical that I had Mick B build a D16/3 and a B12/3 for me only a year or so ago!
Greedy Boards
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Greedy Boards »

Great news about Hornby's Raven T2/Q6 0-8-0, so I had better start acquiring a few mineral wagons, or bolster bogie wagons to match. Saw the previous comment about an NER tender, but does anyone know which one? Three different types were provided when new, and another two added from interchanging with Class C7 locomotives in the 1930s. All five types were still in use when the Class was finally withdrawn in 1967.

Between DJM and now Hornby, I think that my 'Smoggie' fleet of locomotives has just taken a major leap forward, so a J26/J27 0-6-0 would really be the icing on the cake, as it has also just topped the LNER category in this year's Wishlist Poll 2015.

Regards

Greedy Boards
North Eastern Matters
Greedy Boards
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Greedy Boards »

Sad to say that the Hornby's recent announcement of their Raven Q6 0-8-0 has lead to a posting by DJ Models Ltd, that they will be withdrawing their OO version of the Q6, whilst still pursuing their N gauge version. I wish them well, but it now looks that the road is clear for Hornby to focus alone on arguably the North Eastern's most successful mineral locomotive in OO gauge.

Regards

Greedy Boards
North Eastern Matters
Woodcock29

Post by Woodcock29 »

Not a surprising outcome from DJ Models.

Scrolling through the pictures that are available for the 2016 Hornby range I note the black LNER N2 appears to have the gold lettering - hope this is only a mistake on the computer image and that Hornby are not regressing now we have them doing the correct yellow lettering on black LNER locos.

Woodcock29
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

If one was being cynical, you could ask why so many of the "duplications" were announced so quickly by one manufacturer with what appears (on the face of it) to have very little work done on them.

There are EPs for the J94, 71, King and now 14xx (the latter of which does look good - but apparently has been designed in-house at Hattons?) and there has not been anything on the Q6 posted since its announcement.

The behaviour has been previously described by a select few in the model railway media as "flag planting" when referring to the main manufacturers: but no such consistent analysis has been applied to DJ Models since its inception.

For the record I feel the current line of thought regarding RTR models to be entirely unhealthy and to be totally at odds with the facts.

You have people complaining that Hornby - by releasing an almost ready to launch model - have duplicated DJ Model's announcement and thereby are proverbially squashing the smaller manufacturer. How can you duplicate a model which doesn't exist yet?

The answer is, of course, that you can't. Hornby had clearly been working on theirs for longer and had progressed.

End of the day you can join it whichever way you like but the fact remains that Hornby have produced the King, 71, and now the Q6 ahead of whatever announcements were made elsewhere. They're a multi-million pound company with the R&D department and engineers to back it up. So just announcing a model isn't enough: you have to actually make it.