My Layout plan so far

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Captain Baxter fan 626
GNR J52 0-6-0T

My Layout plan so far

Post by Captain Baxter fan 626 »

Here is the plan for my garden railway. As of the moment its not a complete plan but it is a start. The stations on the branch line are named after towns I have visited in my life and one is my home town (Though the only trains that come through are goods (or freight as most people in my country would call them) of the Illinois Central.) I need some ideas for the main line and more branch line ideas so if anyone has some pictures of some real railway lines I would appreciate them. Oh one last thing the station on after the first tunnel on the main line is based on a famous model. Please tell me what you think.
Oh and if I'm right its in G-scale (The tracks that I'm starting with are from a New Bright Gold Rush Express set) I would of posted some pictures of the loco but I just could not upload them onto my computer and as soon as I can I will post them.
Attachments
Layout so far.PNG
My layout so far
(63.35 KiB) Downloaded 199 times
Once an engine attached to a train, Was afraid of a few drops of rain.
He went into a tunnel, and squeaked through his funnel! And would not come out again.
Frazmataz
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Frazmataz »

you must have a mammoth garden if you're going to put all that in! And in G scale, no less! :shock:
The user formerly known as Bass.
Captain Baxter fan 626
GNR J52 0-6-0T

My gardens not that big but I have enough room for what I've planed so far. The hard part is that as most of the engines I intend to model are not of G scale I will have a lot of work making them. Oh here are a few of the engines
I intend to model.

GT3 gas turbine 4-6-0

Neilson box tank 0-4-0 tank

2-6-0 K3 LNER tender

Highalnd Jones Goods 4-6-0

Stirling single 4-2-2 No.1

Y9 NB 0-4-0 saddle tank

and a Coppernob 0-4-0 tender engine (Not sure which of this class)

What do you think?
He went into a tunnel, and squeaked through his funnel! And would not come out again.
Frazmataz
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Frazmataz »

A nice selection of engines. I assume you will have to scratchbuild?
The user formerly known as Bass.
Captain Baxter fan 626
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Yup I have no idea how long it will take to finish. With the fact that I'm making them myself I can make the Sodor engines true to Awdry's plan though I think I'll keep Thomas' Buffer beam at the front curved.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

The illustrations in the original Awdry books vary quite a bit. Awdry's opinion of the different artists is well known (he had a low opinion of many of them). Things were so bad that "Henry" had to be taken away to be rebuilt as a Black 5.

Recently I was looking up "Toby" for the Thameshead J70 that I've just built. Every one of the small books has him in different colours! Some have a white roof, some a grey roof. Some grey sides, some blue sides, etc. I chose a white roof (needs some dirt dusting on it) + wood panels with blue for the side skirts. I think the J70s look better in GER or Isle of Sodor colours - BR black is boring, and LNER wood & black isn't much better.

The J70 looks fine, but the Lima chassis that I used is as bad as their reputation - I need to find a suitable replacement. This is N. I don't think Farish currently have anything small enough. I've heard Ibertren might have something...

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Captain Baxter fan 626
GNR J52 0-6-0T

richard wrote:The illustrations in the original Awdry books vary quite a bit. Awdry's opinion of the different artists is well known (he had a low opinion of many of them). Things were so bad that "Henry" had to be taken away to be rebuilt as a Black 5.
Yeah he never liked Dalby But when Henry goes into the tunnel hes a pacific but when he comes out hes a 4-6-0 that would be very infuriating. In my opinion Henry looks better as a Black 5. And I agree that a J70 is better in chocolate and blue as its called in the books.

I think when I model Gordon I'm going to make him have the running board he has in the T.V. show but a true to life A3 above the running board what do you think?

Oh and I'm sorry to hear that about your model of the J70 it sounds like Awdry's Henry model. Hope you can find a new chassis for it.

Man N scale is small but it could be worse it could be Z scale. I don't think that either scale would last long around my house what with my dogs and all thats why I'm going with G scale. I also like HO and O but I've always liked G. (It seems to be the most commonly used for garden railways here in the US) But like I said I Hope you can find a new chassis for your J70.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

The problem with the J70 kit is that it is designed for the Lima chassis from the 70s or a Farish dmu chassis - both are out of production. Ah well. I've seen a picture of a Sentinel (also designed for the dmu chassis in its two axle form) using a new Ibertren chassis - so that is something I should investigate.

re. Gordon: There's a picture of Gordon and Flying Scotsman next to each other in "Enterprising Engines". By that point in the books, the pictures are becoming more realistic (eg. the Hymek and the 14xx Oliver). Anyway, in the picture, Gordon is an A1 whilst Flying Scotsman is an A3 complete with the covers over the front of the superheater.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Captain Baxter fan 626
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Whoops I did not realized that (I have the complete collection of the original railway series) I guess that I'll model Gordon as a A1 above the running board and like the T.V. version for the running board. Thanks for pointing that out to me. By the way could you tell me where I can find mesurements for a standard 10 ton seven plank open wagon? It will be a great help if you could. Thanks.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I always thought of G as a gauge rather than a scale, but have you seen these people:

http://www.grsuk.com/

They have UK wagons,etc.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Captain Baxter fan 626
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Hmmm I knew that LGB made garden railways supply but I did not know about their G scale (I've only seen their Christmas sets) Thanks very much Richard this means I will have even less work to make my layout. Oh before I forget I finally got the pictures of the Gold rush engine (The one that came with my starting tracks) so now you guys can see the first engine of my layout. (And one of the few that I won't have to scratch build) Just a little tidbit of info this engine was given to me by my grandpa. Oh and sorry about the fact that they are blurry.
Attachments
The Cylinders.JPG
(68.86 KiB) Downloaded 73 times
At An Angle.JPG
(80.74 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
Side Veiw.JPG
(90.87 KiB) Downloaded 63 times
Pilot Veiw.JPG
(100.95 KiB) Downloaded 65 times
Tom Quayle
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Tom Quayle »

Pics are a bit blurred
The weather here is Baltic but so were the tank engines
Furness Railway and GCR fan.
125mph tilt vs 126.5mph duck
Advanced North West Productions.
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Captain Baxter fan 626 wrote:Oh and sorry about the fact that they are blurry.
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
Captain Baxter fan 626
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Yeah sorry about the blur in those here are some specs on the loco. 2-6-2 American style loco thats about all I know on it. It also will not have the same coupling as any of my other locos (I plan on all my locos having a chain type coupling) but since it has its own train it will be able to pull a small goods train and I also plan to make a special go between truck that can couple to it and my other rolling stock.
HonestTom
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by HonestTom »

Re Gordon, apparently he was rebuilt with a new chassis of the Fat Controller's design, based on Stanier practice (I'm extrapolating here - Rev. W. Awdry says it's Stanier, Christopher Awdry says it's the Fat Controller). I suspect the true reason for this was simply that Rev. W. Awdry's model of Gordon was kitbashed from a Triang Princess.
Try www.coarsescale.wordpress.com for more railway ranting.