W1 hush hush

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Daytona61
NER Y7 0-4-0T

W1 hush hush

Post by Daytona61 »

Hi all,
Im building a oo gauge working model.
Can any one tell me the correct colour?
Cheers
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: W1 hush hush

Post by richard »

Did you search this site?

http://www.lner.info/locos/W/w1.php
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

Here's a model of the original with its original livery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KuoHO8pgqho
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Model as built by apprentices at Darlington works at same time as the original. According to staff at Darlington North Road museum it has never been repainted. Whether this is true or not, I do not know.
Attachments
W1 apprentice model 2.jpg
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
v3man
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by v3man »

I was delighted to see the model in North Road Museum. I saw this in the museum in 1953 and have often wondered if it was in existence. Was the old museum in Tubwell Row?
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

v3man wrote:I was delighted to see the model in North Road Museum. I saw this in the museum in 1953 and have often wondered if it was in existence. Was the old museum in Tubwell Row?

No idea about where the museum used to be myself. My father says it used to have pride of place in the old town hall at one point. Used it as the basis for the colouring for his own build of the Finecast kit - which was actually a mistake as he'd asked for the streamliner, oh well - which was to be a present to his wife. So, of course it meant a trip up to Darlington to check on colours, and a very firm insistence that it had to 'look like this'.

The tale about the paint being original caused a few raised eyebrows when we next saw 'The Gresley Beat', as to our eyes their 10000 was now too dark - being a slightly darker shade than the Loveless model - and then we saw it six months later, someone had obviously done a repaint on the sides and tender, but not the front end.

I've included a picture of my mother's Hush-Hush below so you can get an idea for how imposing the finished model is.
Attachments
Ruddington line-up 4.jpg
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Can we have the whole inconclusive debate about the correct shade of grey all over again too?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

DonnyRailMan
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by DonnyRailMan »

L N E R Apple Green would look great im hoping Hornby produce one if they do not go bust or even Bachmann
would produce a real fine one ooo .
DonnyRailMan Instagram @severncrescentrailway
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

Hi, not claiming I have it right but I used Tamiya xf82 sea grey on mine. Looks quite dark in low light and too light in sun light so who knows. Battleship grey is a fairly hit and miss description of the colour required.

Cheers
Paul
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

nzpaul wrote:Battleship grey is a fairly hit and miss description of the colour required.
With battleships you've got about a 3 - 5% chance of getting a hit!