Oxfordrail LNER Cattle wagon

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Oxfordrail LNER Cattle wagon

Post by mick b »

Hattons now have the LNER version in stock and the new LNER 6 Plank wagon as well.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Well, I stood money in hand in Invicta model Rail earlier. I have the Bachmann ex-LMS model and the BR liveried Oxford Rail wagon to choose from. I then noticed the price - £15.50 to £9.30.

So despite all of my reservations having now observed the model and all of its detail issues...

...I came home with the Oxford Rail wagon. I do intend to do some modelling and that's what swayed me. It was £6 cheaper. Yes, it has many many issues on the face of it. But I couldn't get past the fact that I like modelling. So I bought one and will add a Vacuum cylinder, remove the branding, and add my own post-war LNER branding suitable using press-fix transfers.

I wish they had got it right in the first place - that would have been the best case scenario. However it is very nicely moulded and I reckon I can improve it.

But Oxford, if you're reading - for the love of god, get someone from this community to look over your CADs next time. We're all happy to help because we all want to buy LNER models!
D2100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by D2100 »

Adrian, I'd have placed a considerable bet on you piping up before teatime. As it was, it was barely an hour.
adrianbs wrote:Hi All Pennine MC Seems to have overlooked quite a number of errors in his summation which have already been pointed out.
No, I haven't overlooked them, I just stuck to key points. You obviously have a problem understanding even the concept of the word 'summation'. I made the post for the benefit of the person whose post I was responding to, and anyone else who is left weary and bewildered by your relentless, repetitive and ill-structured onslaughts. If anyone does require information that is more exhaustive (and I use that word advisedly), I assume you've already provided it; but my style is not your style and never will be.
Assuming you are willing to undertake this work which involves much the same skills as building the kit and which it appears many "modellers" would not dream of undertaking, I wish you success.
You also seem to not understand my words "If I wanted one (and I don't, particularly),". But for what it's worth,
I could have those mods I listed done in considerably less time than building and painting the kit to the same standard. The vac cylinder and pipes in particular are the work of minutes - if you genuinely want people to pick up scalpels and get modelling, don't make it sound harder than it is.
S.A.C. Martin wrote:Well, I stood money in hand in Invicta model Rail earlier. I have the Bachmann ex-LMS model and the BR liveried Oxford Rail wagon to choose from. I then noticed the price - £15.50 to £9.30.
Simon, even if they were the same price, the two models are not in the same class. As I've already said, the Oxford van is basically the right size and shape and has an underframe that bears more than a passing resemblance to the real one. None of those things can be said of the Bachmann (actually ex-Mainline) model.
Ian Fleming

Now active on Facebook at 'The Clearing House'
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

This has been posted on RM Web showing a conversion to make one side of the Wagon the correct layout. He is posting later on RM Web as to how it has been done . Actually looks quite good.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... gon/page-8
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Without wishing to be too pedantic (if that is possible) - I did mention the Bachmann LMS cattle wagon higher up this thread.....
drmditch wrote:The old Mainline/Bachmann 'short' cattle wagon is based on LMS Diagram 1661/1840. I have converted one to an 11' wheelbase ( .... see here (scroll down)..., but now Parkside have produced a kit for the selfsame diagram! I have one to build, but also some more of the proprietary ones which may get converted.
This moulding was obviously inherited from Mainline, and is actually quite a nice model regarding the doors and ends - it's just shortened to make it fit a 'standard' 10' underframe. It does annoy me that something which could be quite nice is so distorted. However, with some work a much better model can be produced.

Quite frankly, my interest lies in actual modelling - you know the stuff one does with plastic and wood and card and metal and tools and imagination - rather than just purchasing something mass produced and expecting it to meet my requirements!

I'll go away now because I've got a Dia77 Loco coal wagon to finish. I was going to start an NER Q2. (The 20 ton loco coal wagon not the funny Doncaster 0-8-0) but I'm tempted to work on an NER Cattle Wagon instead - just to make a point!
60117 Bois Roussel

Post by 60117 Bois Roussel »

Hmm, I too wish Pennine MC success with a model he's not going to buy, yet offers a personal opinion on behalf of the public at large. Isn't it better to make choices based on independent, factual assessment? The personal sniping towards Adrian Swain is deplorable and would, in normal walks of life, lead to the entire message being ignored on grounds of personal histrionics and an umistakable whiff of vendetta.

I also have news if you wish to turn a Nelsonian eye to the long list of faults in the "BR period scale model of the LNER 9ft AVB" cattle truck - which I describe in quotations because parts appear to be a work of fiction: in execution, livery, and because there is as yet no proof that a single one made it into the BR period to be repainted. It was a failed design and the LNER itself set about eliminating it in the 1930s.

I may also have some commercial news. Selling price is determined by what people are prepared to pay, with price cutting if desired to try and raise market share. Your local Sainsbury's works the same way.

As regards the quality of a product, poor quality is often caused by a combination of incompetence and deliberation; a belief that buyers won’t notice; or won't complain.

Dodgy products are a fact of life and they can get shot down in flames, even withdrawn and retooled. That is a gamble of a manufacturer's own choosing.
D2100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by D2100 »

60117 Bois Roussel wrote:Hmm, I too wish Pennine MC success with a model he's not going to buy, yet offers a personal opinion on behalf of the public at large.
How is it an opinion 'on behalf of the public at large', Steve? It's an opinion; no more, no less. No more or less valid than your own.
The personal sniping towards Adrian Swain is deplorable and would, in normal walks of life, lead to the entire message being ignored on grounds of personal histrionics and an umistakable whiff of vendetta.
I'm stifling a loud, hollow laugh as I read that, because exactly the same allegations of 'vendetta' and 'histrionics' have often been levelled against Adrian; I'm afraid he really doesn't hold much in the way of high ground on that score. Yet for all that I dislike his way of carrying on, I can still see that he's just calling it as he sees it - just as I am.

It's up to individual readers as to whom they choose to listen to or ignore, so if it's all the same to you, I'll take my chances. And you are of course free to report these exchanges to the moderators, should you feel that some sort of conventions are being disregarded.
I also have news if you wish to turn a Nelsonian eye to the long list of faults in the "BR period scale model of the LNER 9ft AVB" cattle truck - which I describe in quotations because parts appear to be a work of fiction: in execution, livery, and because there is as yet no proof that a single one made it into the BR period to be repainted. It was a failed design and the LNER itself set about eliminating it in the 1930s.
Not really news. I did read your posts. If I was sufficiently bothered, I would investigate altering the wheelbase to 10ft, as per the nice looking conversion on Rmweb. As for a 'Nelsonian eye', yes there are some faults that I'd overlook, because life is simply too short.
As regards the quality of a product, poor quality is often caused by a combination of incompetence and deliberation; a belief that buyers won’t notice; or won't complain.
Which is exactly the arena that I chose not to enter. Whether or not those points apply to Oxford is entirely speculation, on your part or Adrian's. Myself, I usually tend to suspect cockup before cynicism.
Dodgy products are a fact of life and they can get shot down in flames, even withdrawn and retooled. That is a gamble of a manufacturer's own choosing
Like you say, their gamble. Not my problem. I have no axe to grind one way or the other for this manufacturer. They're a supplier, much like any other. All I'm concerned with here is whether the model is at all usable, and in my view it is. There are lots of 4mm wagon models that aren't, and for those, I would offer no defence.

But then I don't even see this as a defence, more an appraisal. There is a middle ground in this hobby, between absolute last-word fidelity and just tipping something out of a box, and if there's any cause I'm championing, it's that.
Ian Fleming

Now active on Facebook at 'The Clearing House'
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Okay guys, I'm locking this thread! And there's a good chance I'll be locking all of the Oxford Diecast threads - depends what mood I'm in later today (I'd much prefer to start the Gladiator Q6 kit that has been waiting since before baby & house move...).

Okay Adrian, we've known your opinions on the Oxford wagons for quite a while now. The larger opinions expressed by everyone are all valid (generalising: models could be better; economics and market share are also realities; etc). You're all repeating yourselves, beating multiple dead horses, and at times getting quite rude about it.

Why not have some constructive threads about how to make one of these models look like a specific diagram from Tatlow?

LOCKED!
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia