Buildings and colours

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

David-MG
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Buildings and colours

Post by David-MG »

Hi,
I am constructing an N gauge layout with a large thru stn. as its centre piece (idea being just to watch the trains go by, no shunting etc.).
However I cannot find a suitable red brick colour paint for bldgs etc. Any suggestions gratefully received. I would like to stick with plastic as it will be more robust than card etc.
David-MG
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by David-MG »

C'mon Guys,
Give me a break !! I cannot get to a hobby shop and can only order online/mail order.
If you can just point me in the right direction for brick red hues would be grateful.

In hope
David
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Bricks come in lots of different colours!

I live in the US, and to get the kind of brick colours that I wanted, I ended up mixing two different US brand acrylics. Bricks are rarely uniform - even with new houses. Therefore you will also want to paint some bricks in slightly different colours. My approach is to mix these with a brush on a palette. Add a little brown do a few bricks like that, add a little scarlet, etc,etc.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Frazmataz
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Frazmataz »

Having never needed to paint brick colours, I haven't got a clue! But Slaters do coloured Plastikard in Brick Red:

http://www.slatersplastikard.com/Plasti ... colour.htm
The user formerly known as Bass.
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

As Richard observes, bricks come in so many different colours that the question is pretty meaningless. You can go from brick with glazed, white faces through all shades of beige (a favourite of the former GNR) and terracotta to that plum/blue colour ("engineering brick") which is often used on bridge abutments.

Mix it yourself and it will be fine. :wink:
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
Kyle1987
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Kyle1987 »

One way you could cheat would be to create the station out of plastic, as you want it, then print out a template of bricks (just Google image "Bricks") and paste the paper onto the building. Then give it a coat of a clear varnish (or something to the me effect) to protect it from the elements!

There's an option, and it costs no more that a few sheets of paper!
David-MG
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by David-MG »

Thanks Guys for your help and suggestions.

The 'painting' at this stage is for commercial kits with a view to future scratch-builds.

Perhaps I should re-phrase the question. I am looking for a base brick red colour which I can adjust +/- to hue. As I am doing this in N individual bricks are mind boggling. So, therfore, I am looking for a general sweep of the palette.

As mentioned I cannot get to a hobby shop and cannot rely on 'internet' colour charts.

Cheers
David