N gauge J39 kit

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jdtoronto
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

N gauge J39 kit

Post by jdtoronto »

I have a GEM model railways white metal and etched brass J39 kit, which I see is not listed on the J39 page. Apparently they are still available. Sadly they don't do any other LNER in either N or OO gauge. Info is available here:
http://www.gemmodelrailways.co.uk/GEM_W ... _Kits.html

John
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Thanks for the info, I'll get it added - probably tomorrow, as we flew back earlier today and I'm just catching up on things.

GEM have in the past produced other LNER engines. They produced an 'Improved Director' D11 (Robinson, ex-GCR) - because I have one half-built that I found on EBay :-)

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
jdtoronto
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by jdtoronto »

From a comment on the web page, this is not the 'original' GEM company. Seems that like so many ranges this has been purchased by someone else and they are re-releasing products over a period.

Hope you enjoyed your holiday.

John
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

There were a number of Scottish D11s based at Haymarket Depot 64B, which sets me wondering if they ever penetrated as far south as Alnmouth, in which case, could a D11 be a candidate for JDTorontos new layout, or is this stretching the point too far?

Colombo
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Looking in the RCTS Book (Part 3B), it does talk of them occasionally reaching Newcastle during the 1920s - hauling an as-required meat train, or piloting a particularly heavy express (ie. typically with a Pacific).

D49s displaced them from many services, but only completely displaced from better services by the B1s.
World War 2 is the usual 'mess' of duties - one driver reckoned he drove all but two of the D11s in all directions from Edinburgh hauling all types of traffic!

Lots of storage during the 1950s.

So probably not for the post-war 40s and early 50s, but definitely for the 1920s and probably for the 30s.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia