Hornby Railroad P2

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

teaky
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: Hornby Railroad P2

Post by teaky »

Atlantic's thread may answer your questions.

https://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic. ... start=4440
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Mersey508138 wrote: Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:06 pm ... I like my locos to be fitted with flanged rear under cab wheels but the problem is that no matter which wheels I have tried they either do not make contact with the rails or a set will be in contact with the rails and cause a short on the underside of the cab area where the tv interference capacitor sits.

Please help me to sort this out so I can get the loco running as it should be.
Graeme's excellent work should give you the information required.

I would ask one question: have you tried the flanged wheel substitution into a Hornby pacific? That's where to cut your teeth! Components that foul are chopped away ruthlessly. With a lot of non-reversible internal whittling, the supplied flanged wheelsets fit into the A3/A4 and Britannia pacifics, and the resulting vehicle will manage the 30" radius of the RA9 rated routes of my layout. Nothing complicated, no new components required; just 'brutal hacking' none of which is on view from outside fortunately.

I'd expect a P2 to respond to this treatment, but cannot advise on the minimum radius it will then traverse. Over 30" would be my guess. Back up plan, use an A4 pivotting truck salvaged from a clapped out split chassis A4. Not buying a P2 until Hornby do the proper Bugatti streamlined version though, so it will be while before anything happens chez moi. 'Wolf of Badenoch' in BR late crest green with 9MT on the cab side sheets, I think.
Mersey508138
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Mersey508138 »

Hi Everyone

I have tried the flanged wheel substitution on the A3/4 locos and although the wheel slot need a bit of filing to let the wheels sit properly without lifting the rear of the loco up I have managed to get them to work.