Top Shed

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Top Shed

Post by x568wcn »

I'm looking for a plan of top shed, and have found this book http://www.nenevalley-railwaybooks.co.uk/si/S1829.html but it doesn't say weather or not it has a plan in it.
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
Frazmataz
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Frazmataz »

I'm not sure if that'll have one or not. I think I remember seeing one in one of the books at my school library. I will see, and if there is, I will borrow and scan the appropriate page, to save you from having to pay for a full book.
The user formerly known as Bass.
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

cheers
really, I want the shed dimentions, width, length, height, that sort of thing...oh and number of tracks!
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
Frazmataz
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Frazmataz »

Ah, well it definitely doesn't have shed dimensions XD but it has a detailed track plan with all roads, and general positions of structures such as sheds and the turntable.
The user formerly known as Bass.
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

ok, should be a scale there where I can work it from..btw, can any one place me top shed on the map, where is it in relation to the station.

It's ok now, just found a copy on amazon for 4.99!
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

I have a copy of Great Northern Railway Engine Sheds, Volume 1, Southern Area by Griffiths and Hooper (Booklaw Publications) that does have a plan dated 1935.

This book devotes 21 pages to Top Shed.

Colombo
crazyhorse
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by crazyhorse »

x568wcn wrote:ok, should be a scale there where I can work it from..btw, can any one place me top shed on the map, where is it in relation to the station.

It's ok now, just found a copy on amazon for 4.99!
AIUI the shed was at right-angles to the Station and backed onto the St. Pancras line.

Try http://www.old-maps.co.uk/

Click on 'maps' from the top line choices, and then type

530200 183800 into the co-ordinates boxes and press 'go'

Underneath the main map will be a choice of others of different years. Choose one from the 1930s and zoom in to marvel at the complexity of sidings and yards in the area.
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Yes, I have placed it now, but as you say the complexity of sidings and yards, I might have to edit it if I plan to build one!
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk