Dry Stone Walls

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

keith byfield
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Dry Stone Walls

Post by keith byfield »

There were lots of limestone dry stone walls seen from the LNER in North Yorks. The stage has been reached where I must model them. When ballast gets in the point system I am tempted to go outside and bash a bit of our dry stone wall to pieces, but I really feel creating 40 inches or so in 7mm is beyond the time and patience I have available. How does eveybody else do it?
Keith
keith byfield
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Dry stone walls

Post by keith byfield »

Sorry the above should read 4mm scale.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I think you can edit your posts :-)

I think there might be moulded walling options for OO or 4mm, although I'm not sure who from. This is probably how I'd approach it in N.

For O (which I'm just getting into), then I'd probably be tempted by the manual wall building. I should say that I've yet to try any O scenery :-) .

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

I'm pretty sure that the 4mm scale model of Stainmore Summit in a recent edition of Model Railway Journal had dry stone walls which had been built stone-by-stone. I recall the author (and wall-builder) saying how long it had taken him: but the look fully justified the effort; they were fantastic!

Incidentally, like Richard, I'm just dipping my toe into 0 gauge - I've picked up a couple of second-hand wagons on eBay, and may order a ready-built loco (probably a J72) from the fine people at DJH.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

IIRC those on Stainmore (but it mayhave been another layout) were built by crumbling cork sheet between the fingers, sticking the resultant lumps trogether and then spraying. They do look effective.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Bullhead: I've just built my first Slaters wagon (an NER 20 ton hopper). Took a while but I had a lot of fun doing it. Just need to touch the paint up, decal it, and add some dirt.

My first loco will probably be a Connoisseur Y7. I really need some Manning Wardle 0-4-0s but I hear the Slaters kit is not for beginners.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Colombo
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Colombo »

Keith,

When we in Clay Cross Model Railway Society built our Ashford in the Water layout, the dry stone walls were built out of bits of smashed up slate and painted grey. It was a time consuming process by all accounts.

We are about to embark on another layout based on LNWR practise in Derbyshire, loosely based on Hindlow. We still have the Ashford walls and these may be re-used.

Colombo
f4kphantom
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

OO Dry Stone Walls

Post by f4kphantom »

This might help. Javis make moulded dry stone walls in resin for 4mm gauge, sections are straight or curved. They are approx £1 each
wehf100
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by wehf100 »

i made this diorama in 7mm scale, in around 2 hours in one sitting. total wall length about 3 inch. The gate posts were simply filed to shape from a soft local stone, and the metal fittings are all brass painted in textured brown paint for rust effect. The gate is balsa and is actually held together with pins made from guitar wire, not glue.

I think the results are ok really. The aim was for a ramshackle fallen gate post /crumbling wall somewhere up in the peak district. It was a present.

If you build it like a real wall (i.e it will stand up on its own by gravity) and then just run diluted white glue glue through it when finished, you get a firm wall.

(just noticed these pics were drawn before the glue dried- woooops!)