Sentinel Cammell steam railcar kit

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Sniffer
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Re: Sentinel Cammell steam railcar kit

Post by Sniffer »

Hi Graeme, didn't realise you were in New Zealand !

That's a very kind offer by the way, but I'll try to find someone a little more "local".
Thanks again for all your replies.
Re-open the Leeds Northern northwards !
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Yes, well south of the equator (but definitely a Northern modeller nevertheless).
Haven't seen my friend yet (next week hopefully before I leave for the UK) but I came across a cutting from Model Rail magazine but no idea when I cut it out titled 'Prepare a Tenshobo SPUD for DCC'. Again soldering necessary but might be worth trying to track down.
However I also came across an email from one of the many other forum members who have been very helpful to me on all sorts of topics and I quote (without mentioning him by forum name - as don't want him to face any adverse repercussions) 'the mechanism provided was hopeless and the model (from the 1970s) very heavy and not particularly accurate', although that is judging by today's standards'. Hardly a ringing endorsement for the motor supplied but I do have to say the Black Beetle takes my Nu Cast kit Sentinel up a moderate gradient with no problems whatsoever.
Will get back if can get any ideas for you, but it may just be 'Soldering for Novices' from your local library.
Graeme.
PS: I note a reference to Leeds, where shall be staying in about 3 weeks time (mainly to have a beer at Whitelocks!)
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Sorry Sniffer - leave on Sunday for Blighty and haven't had a chance to discuss any helpful soldering techniques for your Sentinel. I'm sure,like me, you can locate an expert who can do any tricky parts for you.
Graeme