Sentinel Cammell steam railcar kit

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Sentinel Cammell steam railcar kit

Post by Graeme Leary »

My first attempt at white metal kit building is a Nu-Cast LNER Sentinel steam railcar.

So far so good but a little confused about positioning the 2 parts they describe as Vacuum Cylinder Hangers which the instructions say are fitted underneath the carriage where there are 2 '2s' etched into the underbody. Understandably they are on opposite sides but one is diagonally about 1" further along the underbody than the other. I'd like to confirm this diagonal is correct. (Following fixing these there are 2 Vacuum Cylinder 'Arms' which are drilled out to take a 0.7mm wire so does this is also imply this wire runs diagonally under the body?).

I'm sure this is a comparatively simple kit to be building first up but I wouldn't be doing it if one of the major manufacturers had produced this at some time or other RTR, a sentiment that a few other LNER modellers have expressed.

Graeme Leary
New Zealand
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Sentinel Cammell steam railcar kit

Post by mick b »

Have you a photo.
I have built one of these using a Black Beetle power Bogie. Don't use a Tenshodo version totally useless on this kit, it cannot cope withe weight.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Good morning from the colonies. Have plenty of photos but none showing (not surprisingly) underneath. Have thought overnight that if I fix some of the other parts underneath it will show where the gap for these 'hangers' and arms should be. A bit Heath Robinson I know but should work, however anything to add would be great.

The motor supplied by SE Finecast isn't branded but has WB-28-7 on a small label and a lot of Japanese (???) underneath so assume it is suitable (and powerful enough).

Graeme
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Somewhere I have heard the Nucast Sentinel kit described as a baseboard bender. JW perhaps?

I have one painted on the outside. Reasonably done in the late 1970s, I think, have not looked at it for years. The motor provided with the kit was truly hopeless. Therefore, I would echo 'mick b', if you want a reliable runner.

John
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

It looks like you have the Tenshodo bogie that is offered with Sentinel Railcar kits by South East Finecast.

On JW's West End Workbench thread there is description of building the railcar with a Bullant Drive.

I was hoping to use a Bullant drive in my Sentinel shunter, rather than the Tenshodo, but have found there is a six month waiting list.

I bought a badly painted railcar several years ago. It was fitted with a defunct Tenshodo and a spare new one.

I fitted the new one and it runs, but gets very warm quickly. So be warned and don't run the Tenshodo for any time/distance.

Earlswood nob
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

The Tenshodo I had was so weak it could hardly move the Sentinel.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Thanks all re the motors - better get myself on the waiting list for a Bullant.

However, any suggestions re correct position of the Vacuum Cylinder Hangers on the underbody (and confirmation that where they seem to have to go that the wire connecting the Vacuum Cylinder Arms will be on the diagonal). Probably me reading but the sketch supplied with the kit is not at all clear to me.

Graeme
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Hallo Graeme,

Forgive me if you've already found and read my build of the railcar but if not it starts here.

The fundamental problem with this kit is that it's really heavy - far too heavy for the recommended propulsion. In addition to the one I've built, I refurbished the Ormesby one. For that one I was recommended to use a Black Beetle and I've regretted that decision ever since as it has already started to run quite badly in one direction. My own has a BullAnt Major and not only handles itself with ease, it will pull a couple of coaches as well. As part of the adaptation to take the BullAnt I made a new floor from Paxolin. Were I doing another I might make a replacement roof as well top try to reduce the weight even further.

I can try to take a photo of the floor and underpinnings if you like, although they're all black and may not be too easy to see.

I have never made an interior for mine so if you have any clever ideas for that I'd be interested.

Also worth noting that the supplied lettering is poor (mine was all out of register) and too large, as is the HMRS version. I used some 3mm lettering which HMRS had done as a special limited run, which you may be able to find.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Many thanks Earlswood nob for drawings sent as 'direct' message (unfortunately my 'skills' don't stretch to replying direct).

It came through clearly and it does seem to indicate that the Vacuum Cylinder Hangers and "arms (and the wire connecting them) are on the diagonal. What the sketch didn't show though were the 2 vacuum cylinders that (looking at the kit on the same profile as your drawing) project quite noticeably below the body of the carriage. My first thought was that I'd fixed these 2 incorrectly but there were 2 etched and clearly marked 'lugs' that these cylinders - about 10mm wide - snugly fitted over. However these round cylinders prevent a direct angled connection of the wire between the 'hanger arms' so a little artistic license may be employed.

I guess it is also possible my kit is a variation on that shown in your drawings (and I know from the number of photos I have on file there were many variations on the basic design) so I'll use that excuse as a 'plea in mitigation'!

Thanks again for your trouble, greatly appreciated.

Graeme
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

I'm pleased that you got the drawing, Graeme. It is for diag93 and slightly different to the diag96 of the SEFinecast kit.

There are sketches of both diag93 and diag96 in Yeadon Vol12, but they don't show the underframe.

Earlswood nob
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

I still haven't finished mine, the under gubbins are the hard part, I'll get back to it soon.......Ha!

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

jwealleans, earlswood nob, mickb and manna (and any others I may have missed). What a can of worms I seemed to have opened, the comments all appreciated.

Will get on to the Bullant motor some time soon, and somewhere in my old records is a mention that this is definitely a superior motor; will have to search for those notes and try and find who makes them. (There may just be some more queries once I find and have read them).

Re the 'underframe', To get the same profile effect of the drawings earlswood nob sent I may just try and remove the 2 projecting cylinders and fix the 'arms' and 'hangers' only which will look very close to that drawing -mightn't be 100% but at least it will allow me to finish the job. However, the photo of the underneath of yours (jwealleans) would be a guide to what course to take, even if black and white not too clear.

Good point to watch re the size of the lettering; have various transfers of numbers and letters from Fox Transfers and these could be more correct (plus give me a little leeway as to what I name it). Seeing Fox's later this year so will discuss with them 'face to face'.

Thanks again, anything else would be great (and would have been a lot easier if Hornby, Bachmann or Dapol had them in their range - or at least one of the major retailers had commissioned a run of them!)

Graeme
teaky
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by teaky »

"... try and find who makes them."

http://www.hollywoodfoundry.com/#bullant
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Many thanks teaky - presume the standard 2 axle Bullant (as opposed to the 'Major') is the motor needed for the Sentinel?
Graeme
Danby Wiske
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Danby Wiske »

Quote from JW above:
jwealleans wrote:My own has a BullAnt Major