Sentinel Cammell steam railcar kit

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

teaky
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: Sentinel Cammell steam railcar kit

Post by teaky »

As per Danby Wiske's response, I suggest you go with whatever Mr Wealleans recommends. He knows far more than I do. The railcar doesn't sound like the kind of model to skimp on in terms of power.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Picture of the undergubbins of my effort:

Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Umpire? In honour of Mr Oliver?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Of course... nothing to do with it being a north eastern example which I could make up from the remaining letters on the sheet....
52D sub shed
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 52D sub shed »

I have taken the plunge and assembled my Nu-Cast kit which I have to say went together very well and is awaiting painting and the Black Beetle drive unit.
I would welcome advice on which paint to use for the green and cream livery?
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

For mine I used Railmatch Loco Apple Green, and Humbrol No '41'.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Precision LNER Doncaster Green and LNER Tourist Cream.
Last edited by mick b on Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Brilliant all and in particular jwealleans for the photo of the Sentinel's nether regions. That will definitely be the standard to work to. Now about the other parts in the kit that seem to be excess to the drawings and instructions ........?

Re the discourse on colours; sometime back I discussed 'appropriate' colours for LNER buildings with an ex Yorkshire modeller friend resident in New Zealand and he had used Humbrol's Matt 120 for the green and Humbrol 103 for the cream on both his Sentinel and buildings on his layout. A posting I found sometime later regarding LNER Building Liveries mentions 'Buckingham Green and Light Buckingham Green and I'd be interested to know if these Humbrol colours are 'close' and would also be 'correct' for the Sentinel when it is completed. However I do accept that buildings and the Sentinel could be quite different (and they are both different to the colour names/numbers quoted earlier) Comments welcome please.

For anyone interested this posting was: http://www.stationcolours.info/index.php?p=1_4_LNER
Graeme
52D sub shed
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 52D sub shed »

Morning all,
The beast is complete and runs slowly and without hesitation on the Black Beetle motor bogie which I fitted with a Lenz decoder.
I have ordered Precision Paints, Tourist stock Green and Cream as a first try at getting the livery correct.
I am about to start the Nu-Cast J70 Tram loco kit again to be fitted with a Black Beetle with wheels changed to 10.5mm

Thanks for all the advice

G
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

More clarification required I'm afraid (but the underneath parts are now coming along very well thanks to jwealleans photo).

This query concerns the motor and the parts described as Motor Bogie Sideframes (part 22 on the instructions). These obviously fit the motor (Tenshodo???) supplied with the kit which is quite compact but do they also fit either the Bullant or the Black Beetle, whichever one I go with (there seems to be fans of both). The photo of the Bullant Major downloaded from the link provided by teaky shows a much 'bulkier' product and want to be sure the kit's Motor Bogie Sideframes will fit either the Bullant or the Black Beetle without 'non-technical' me having to adapt somehow. Probably bleedin' obvious but confirmation would be great.

Regards
Graeme
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Graeme,

In my photo above, the Bullant has the NuCast sideframes attached - they just glue on.

This is the other one I refurbished and they have been reattached to the Black Beetle here. My retrospective fitting of a Black Beetle to replace a Spud is in my workbench thread here.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
52D sub shed
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 52D sub shed »

I simply super-glued the side-frames on to the projection on the side of the Black Beetle motor bogie and all seems well.
A further bit of news is that the Black Beetle is quite capable of propelling this heavyweight vehicle with two horse boxes in tow up 1:50 incline.
Still waiting for the paint to be delivered.

G
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Great photo jwealleans and hope I get mine finished to this standard. Also your colours look very much like the Humbrol 120 (Light Green) and 103 (Cream) I had been told about (initially for LNER buildings) as mentioned in an earlier post. Your reference to Spud motors seems to ring a bell back to a post quite some time ago (that I can't find) that Spuds are a motor to avoid. Will have to do an on-line survey for opinions on Black Beetle v. Bullant but like everything, there will be the partisans for both brands - and Baron von Shields seems to be in the Black Beetle camp, so there's a start (and thanks too for the side frame info). Might come down to price and ease of obtaining.
Graeme
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Daytime here in New Zealand and have been working on my Sentinel while you lot are no doubt sound asleep.

I have just discussed the kit with an experienced kit builder (another Yorkshireman!) resident here and he thinks the motor that came with the kit could in fact be a Black Beetle despite no labels to that effect. I have also googled the Black Beetle website which produced a range of motors from a website motorbogies.com.

Does anybody know if the supplied motor is in fact a Black Beetle (despite just WB-28_7 and some Japanese hieroglyphics on the box), and if not, which is the best of the 6 OO/HO Black Beetle motors showing on this website is the best for the job.

Thanks again (now time for us antipodeans to think about some shuteye).
Graeme
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

This a spud, Japanese lettering should confirm its origins as well.

a 1030507 tenshodo.jpg
a 1030507 tenshodo.jpg (28.73 KiB) Viewed 6644 times

Sorry cant remember which Beetle I used , from memory the one with the correct wheelbase was used, I don't remeber there being a choice at that time.