Sentinel Cammell steam railcar kit

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Sentinel Cammell steam railcar kit

Post by jwealleans »

I've corrected my post above. There's a picture behind that link of a Black Beetle fitted to a NuCast Sentinel. You can see enough to tell the difference between that and the Spud Mick's illustrated.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Thanks jw and mickb - always wake up in anticipation of further elucidation on my manifold queries that have come in during (our) nighttime.
Duly noted.
Graeme
Sniffer
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by Sniffer »

I've been following this thread with great interest.

I have a Nu-Cast railcar bought on eBay about a year ago. Nicely finished etc. but has the awful Tenshodo power source.
I must be honest I'm not the most adept basher, and I'm looking for someone to fettle it for me.
By all accounts the Bullant is the most powerful unit, but may have some issues regarding ease of fitting. With perhaps some modification of the carriage internal fittings ?

I'll cut to chase, what's the best option and who can folk recommend to do it ?

(I contacted C.R.Phillips but haven't had a reply.)
Re-open the Leeds Northern northwards !
Sniffer
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by Sniffer »

No advice then, ah well....

I'll stick it in the end of a bay platform as a nice static.
Looks lovely, shame it don't move.
Re-open the Leeds Northern northwards !
52D sub shed
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 52D sub shed »

I have fitted a Black Beetle motor bogie under my rail-car and with minimal mucking about with the kit. It runs well both on simple DC and after fitting and tuning a Lenz Decoder.
The only real problem is my inability to fit the roof properly, it does not cover body of the loco.
I obtained the bogie from Branchlines.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Matters proceeding well (well, 'wellish' until I see how the Teshodo motor supplied works on my minimal gradient layout) and now I'm thinking about painting and finishing. Plenty of info available about the exterior colours and the Nu-cast kit has a comment that internally they were 'believed to have been painted buff'. Buff's buff I guess and maybe Humbrol 103 is okay (but possibly a bit pale) so any specific ideas to get it right as near as 'dammit.
Also, as I'm fitting passengers on the seats provided with the kit I want to add a driver and a fireman - the crew space in the kit seems very tight for even 1 person let alone another shovelling coal so thoughts on this too please (and where would be a place to try and replicate the firebox?)
Graeme
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

Hi Graeme,

My dad consulted an old LNER/BR manager (he was a manager during BR but started working for LNER) when he built Commerce. The edict from on high so-to-speak was loco green, but the cream was more ivory when first painted (Humbrol 41 was the recommendation). It should match the colours of the Tourist Stock rakes of coaches, ideally.
Attachments
Commerce
Commerce
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Thanks Manxman - your dad's BR/LNER contact is good enough for me so Humbrol 41 it is (but I presume if using Humbrol Gloss - which range 41/Ivory is in - the only Gloss Green is 3/Brunswick Green and may be a little dark for Sentinels in those days but will give it a go and see).
Now, about the driver and fireman???????
Graeme
52D sub shed
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 52D sub shed »

Allow me to add to the paint debate, I used Precision Paints LNER Tourist stock Green and Cream. The paint went on well over a white primer coat.
Manxman1831
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Manxman1831 »

On Commerce, the driver is seated at the other end, next to a representation of Mr T (my dad's contact). Don't think he put a fireman in, but he'd probably be dropping coal into the firebox.
Brian

Anything weird or unusual will catch my interest, be it an express or locomotive

I'm also drawn to the commemorative, let's hope Bachmann will produce 6165 Valour.
52D sub shed
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 52D sub shed »

On the subject of drivers, the Green Bible part 10b seems to indicate that the driver could operate from either end the controls being duplicated
How this worked when towing coach is open to speculation.

G
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Drivers seats both ends . easy it runs round the other rolling stock before leaving. Never seen a photo of them pulling anything.
markindurham
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Post by markindurham »

mick b wrote:Drivers seats both ends . easy it runs round the other rolling stock before leaving. Never seen a photo of them pulling anything.
There's a couple of photos of a railcar on trials on the Scarborough & Whitby line with a horsebox in tow
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

One one of the 'Britain from Above' shots of Pickering you can clearly see one of the trailer cars built for use with the railcars, although sadly it's not in use.

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/imag ... ing&ref=17
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

I thought only the Clayton Railcar version had Trailers, no idea if that is correct or not ?.

I see the Horsebox mentioned above was used on Trials perhaps not successful and not used in normal use ?