Temporary Redo.

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Captain Baxter fan 626
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Temporary Redo.

Post by Captain Baxter fan 626 »

Hey guys me and my dad have gone over it and at this point in time I do not have the funds to start my G scale layout so instead I'm going to start in HO scale. I will post more details as I work them out. by the way does anyone know of a HO scale manufacture that makes models of the locos of the Big Four? Oh and don't worry I will still make my G scale line just further down the line.
Once an engine attached to a train, Was afraid of a few drops of rain.
He went into a tunnel, and squeaked through his funnel! And would not come out again.
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

I think Rivarossi did a Royal Scot and some LMS coaches some time ago, and Fleischmann produced a BR (WR) Warship and Mark 1 coaches (which, much to my surprise, Hattons of Liverpool currently have in stock - I bet they don't sell many) but unless I've missed something that's your lot so far as UK-outline H0 goes. If you're going to go for 4mm scale you would be far better advised to choose 00 - at the risk of stating the obvious, the track gauge (16.5mm) is identical to H0 and the range of products to suit British practice post-1923 is very wide.

[Subsequent edit: just realised my reference to 4mm scale is, of course, incorrect in the context of H0 which is, As Any Fule No, 3.5mm scale.]
Last edited by Bullhead on Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
Frazmataz
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Frazmataz »

It is virtually impossible to get British Outline in HO scale, especially since the scale is not hugely popular here. The best alternative is OO, despite the scale/gauge compromise.
The user formerly known as Bass.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

And the two main OO manufacturers of RTR are Hornby and Bachmann.
For an example range, have a look at www.ehattons.com (I've ordered N scale airmail from them in the past - no problems).

There is also a very wide range of kit manufacturers.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Captain Baxter fan 626
GNR J52 0-6-0T

I guess some of my models will be in HO (American engines like UP 844) and others will be OO. theres not that much difference is there?
He went into a tunnel, and squeaked through his funnel! And would not come out again.
Bullhead

Post by Bullhead »

Captain Baxter fan 626 wrote:I guess some of my models will be in HO (American engines like UP 844) and others will be OO. theres not that much difference is there?
The Royal Scot in the centre of this picture is 00; the one beside it (at the bottom) is H0.

CVR1865
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by CVR1865 »

seriously, thats how small UK locos are in comparison to the US? How tiny must Flying scotsman and indeed Royal Scot have looked when they went on tour. omg!!!
don't forget about the Great Eastern Railway
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

The difference should be about 12%.

HO is 3.5mm : 1 foot.
OO is 4mm : 1 foot.

Ie. HO is 87% the size of OO.

British N has a similar affliction. I run it okay here in the US. Any size comments are because people still thinks it looks too small - think of a 10ft wb open wagon vs. a US double stack. I've tried explaining that the tiny open wagons are actually overscale, but never with much success.

One advantage of O - the difference between 'regular' Finescale O and S7 (the true finescale variant) is much smaller.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Captain Baxter fan 626
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Bullhead wrote: The Royal Scot in the centre of this picture is 00; the one beside it (at the bottom) is H0.

Hmmm not as big a difference as I thought it might work. Now to think of the layout design. Oh and I'm going with the Bachman model of Thomas for my layout what do you think?
Bullhead

Post by Bullhead »

Captain Baxter fan 626 wrote:I'm going with Thomas for my layout what do you think?
Personally, if there was a "projectile vomiting" emoticon available that's how I'd answer your question. But the thing to remember is that it's your model railway and, to paraphrase something my all-time hero Joe Strummer once said (though not on the subject of model railways!), "what other people think is about as important as knowing whether it's raining in Patagonia". So unless you're in Patagonia and don't have an umbrella, go with Thomas. :wink:
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

There should also be a kit of the SR E2 available for OO/4mm - you could then have the real tank engine (I think it was an E2?) alongside the TV-ified Thomas.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Frazmataz
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Frazmataz »

He is indeed an E2, Richard :D The Hornby model is based upon the original E2 model they produced I-can't-remember-how-many years ago.

You go with whatever you like, Baxter Fan, ultimately its your opinion that counts when it comes to choosing the models. The Bachmann is the one you want for the TV version, and the Hornby for the books.
The user formerly known as Bass.
Captain Baxter fan 626
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Thanks for your opinion guys and I know Thomas is a LBSCR E2 but I just like the look of the Bachman model. I will have a non-sodor E2 at some point now I need to get some Layout ideas.
Kyle1987
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Kyle1987 »

An interesting fact is that the original Thomas wooden pull-along toy that Rev. Awdry had for his son Christopher closely resembled a J50! It was the first illustrator, William Middleton, the modelled Thomas on the LBSCR E2, much to Awdry's initial annoyance (he was happy with this decision once Middleton explained that his illustration was based on a real locomotive). So, if you wanted to create an alternative Thomas, you could just use a J50
Captain Baxter fan 626
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Well well well some one besides me who saw the similarities between the original toy Awdry made for Christopher and a J50. I will have this loco as well at some point thanks for the idea.