Hornsby Q6

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Hornsby Q6

Post by mick b »

I now have a BR version of the Q6 , sadly as I feared it does not have a plug in Smokebox door , it has a one piece smokebox front including all of the surrounding area.

Not viable in my opinion to change the door to the flat version as you would have to virtually destroy the body to change the door. The Boiler Handrail which is well glued in and attached to the top of the smokebox front , the top lamp iron and the steam reverse fitting attached to the offside handrail would be very easily damaged, if any attempt was made to remove them from the body.

I now need to find one in LNER days with the round door fitted. Smokebox number has been removed quite easily as plastic is soft and sands easily. Lead added to Tender on opening there is no weight within at all. Lovely mouldings however.
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Seems a big missed opportunity to me... a big pre-grouping locomotive in RTR.... and no pre-grouping version available! :shock:
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

mick b wrote: Not viable in my opinion to change the door
You know you want to......

Whether you do so or not, there are other nice things crying out to be done:
http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... ff/page-45
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Not on that one unless he changes the Door its BR period and the new safety valves are wrong for BR period !! :shock: :shock:

The only now viable Q6's are post 1945 era when the Curved door was first fitted according to Yeadon (if that info is correct?).

Anyone got photos of in LNER period 2274/3931 2270/3427 2257/3414 2274/3431 and late period LNER or early BR of (6)3346 3447 3450 3452 3453 3459 . Yeadon has a few photos of the first three but all wrong period for the Hornby version as it stands .
Daddyman
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Daddyman »

Would someone with some vernier calipers mind measuring the distance between the inner faces of Hornby's front splashers on the Q6, please? My father has asked me to look into a Q5 conversion and I need to know the width to make the smokebox front plate, which will be governed by the gap between Hornby's splashers.

EDIT: should have said I don't have a Q6 and my father doesn't have verniers - and we're 230 miles apart!
Thanks!
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Not sure what you are after re measurements for the splashers ? Do you mean the width from side to side from underneath or something else? I have a Arthur Q6 Door spare if needed.
Daddyman
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Daddyman »

Hello Mick. Sorry - I mustn't have been clear! I will need to make a new s.box front, and for this I need to know how much space I have to play with between the front splashers on the Hornby model. So it's the distance between the inner faces of the front splashers that I need, as that's where the new s.box will sit. As accurately as possible - hence my request for someone to do it with a vernier. Thanks.

From what I can tell the doors should be the same size (there's only half an inch or so difference in s.box diameter) so I should be able to salvage the one off the LNER version of the Q6. So thanks for the offer - very kind - but keep it; you might want it one day!
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

No probs.

17.00 mm between Splashers.
Daddyman
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Daddyman »

Excellent, Mick, thanks! To two decimal places too!