Hornsby Q6

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Hornsby Q6

Post by Pebbles »

Whatever any photo of 3418 showed Hornby would have been well advised to have included a capuchon on the basis that it would be easier to remove that add. The problem is someone would have criticised the fact that it was present; it is almost impossible to please everyone. On the point of prewar Q6s, I have no idea how the bodies of the Q6s are assembled, but if a boiler to dia 50 is required small additions/modifications would appear to be a doddle. Hornby are currently seeking £8,000,000 any donations gratefully accepted.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

S.A.C. Martin wrote:There's an opportunity here I feel, gentlemen, for you to actively shape the next Q6 release. The only thing I can say fundamentally is that you're unlikely to get a chimney with a capuchon on a model - because as far as I'm aware, it's not in Hornby's tooling plans.

That is not to say they can't be convinced into tooling such a component if you feel you have evidence to show it'll result in a model more suitable for your needs which you will buy and will appeal to other purchasers. However it may have a knock on effect to something like, for example, packaging.

I'm happy to feed back any information or ideas as I will be doing so myself in due course.

For the record I've been very impressed with the Q6 and I personally feel - even if this set of Q6 releases isn't necessarily for you, fundamentally Hornby has got its eye on the ball for LNER modellers going forward with their plans. That much I can promise.

Simon
Confused on this post.

Hornby have a Capuchon on the BR version and I see no reason why they cannot fit them in the future on further Q6's . They were a standard fitting on the whole class. Cant see why packaging would be affected either . :shock: :shock:

Basically they have cocked up , no idea why such a simple mistake could have been made. The same goes for the oil drive poor research or another cock up :lol:
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

The term "windjabber", preferred I am led to believe by the North Eastern whose locos the Q6 class were, doesn't seem to find much favour in these discussions compared to the non-English "capuchon".
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
cctransuk
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by cctransuk »

mick b wrote: Basically they have cocked up , no idea why such a simple mistake could have been made. The same goes for the oil drive poor research or another cock up :lol:
You really don't like Hornby, do you?

Regards,
John Isherwood.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

cctransuk wrote:
mick b wrote: Basically they have cocked up , no idea why such a simple mistake could have been made. The same goes for the oil drive poor research or another cock up :lol:

Regards,
John Isherwood.

Far from it I love Hornby and have far more of their products than any other makes . I don't love daft silly mistakes, which in this case has cost them sales :lol: :lol:
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:The term "windjabber". preferred I am led to believe by the North Eastern whose locos the Q6 class were, doesn't seem to find much favour in these discussions compared to the non-English "capuchon".

Reminds people of Baked Beans perhaps ? :roll:
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

With miniature pork sausages or with bacon burgers?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Wouldnt like to behind either of those varieties :D
cctransuk
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by cctransuk »

mick b wrote:
cctransuk wrote:

Regards,
John Isherwood.

Far from it I love Hornby and have far more of their products than any other makes . I don't love daft silly mistakes, which in this case has cost them sales :lol: :lol:
Will you really reject a model of this quality on the grounds that it lacks a chimney capuchon and a lubricator drive?

Whatever happened to railway modelling?

Regards,
John Isherwood.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Mick,

I did the decent thing and went to the source and asked politely. I've now been able to find the photographs they've worked from and the choice of prototype and its form is actually pretty spot on the money overall. Yes including the chimney.

I'll say more on my blog but having re-read what was said to me, there's legitimate reasons for the choices they've made and also why they've chosen to model the LNER loco with a chimney without a capuchon on the post war loco. It's not actually an error and when it was explained to me I felt it was more than reasonable.

I've not worded my previous posts very well, but they didn't fit it to this one and may fit it to the pre-war LNER model - and as I've said, this is your best chance to go and help Hornby shape the model you think you want.

If you're not happy with it that's up to you - I'm not forcing you to buy it.

I feel the boiler issue is one which is fair - maybe there's too much work to do. But adding a sliver of plastic to the chimney to make a capuchon - surely not beyond our skills?
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

S.A.C. Martin wrote:Mick,

I did the decent thing and went to the source and asked politely. I've now been able to find the photographs they've worked from and the choice of prototype and its form is actually pretty spot on the money overall. Yes including the chimney.

I'll say more on my blog but having re-read what was said to me, there's legitimate reasons for the choices they've made and also why they've chosen to model the LNER loco with a chimney without a capuchon on the post war loco. It's not actually an error and when it was explained to me I felt it was more than reasonable.

I've not worded my previous posts very well, but they didn't fit it to this one and may fit it to the pre-war LNER model - and as I've said, this is your best chance to go and help Hornby shape the model you think you want.

If you're not happy with it that's up to you - I'm not forcing you to buy it.

I feel the boiler issue is one which is fair - maybe there's too much work to do. But adding a sliver of plastic to the chimney to make a capuchon - surely not beyond our skills?

Thank you Simon for the reply.

I look forward to reading your blog and Hornby's rationale in producing a one off Loco, surely in their current financial position they should have gone for a standard member of the Class with the same type of Tender. I presume the correct Smokebox Door is fitted in the photo?

Not everybody are competent modellers. It maybe a sliver of plastic, but not easy to do without ruining the finish on the surrounding Chimney. It will be much harder for some to remove the mechanical oil drive, as the chassis would have to be stripped to allow replacing the crankpin to a shorter version if needed?.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Will you really reject a model of this quality on the grounds that it lacks a chimney capuchon and a lubricator drive?

Whatever happened to railway modelling?

Regards,
John Isherwood.[/quote]

Simon had said there is a photo of said Loco, a lot would depend on what Smokebox door is fitted in the photo. :D to change that would be a demolition derby :shock: :lol:
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

I would suggest that what transpires in the future depends on how the Q6 model is assembled. Simple plug in smoke box doors are easy to replace. This capuchon business is rather silly but again depends on whether or not the chimney or indeed the dome are separate mouldings. No matter what, and this is not complaining about the colour of the Rolls Royce, it is far simpler to remove a capuchon than "glue in a slither of plastic. But who cares. after today future versions/imports may cost considerably more.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Pebbles wrote:I would suggest that what transpires in the future depends on how the Q6 model is assembled. Simple plug in smoke box doors are easy to replace. This capuchon business is rather silly but again depends on whether or not the chimney or indeed the dome are separate mouldings. No matter what, and this is not complaining about the colour of the Rolls Royce, it is far simpler to remove a capuchon than "glue in a slither of plastic. But who cares. after today future versions/imports may cost considerably more.
To replace the Smokebox Door you will have to remove the continuous handrail. Hopefully it is a plug in variety as are the Dome and Chimney ?
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

I am guessing - but I can check with my source later today.

I feel Hornby had prepared this tooling - the other boiler type is a separate tooling and that may not be ready (my impression is that it isn't, but this could be wrong and I am happy to go back and clarify that).

They always release an LNER liveried model with the LNER locomotive releases so if the other boiler type wasn't ready, then logic dictates you make the best of what you have for the first release. So they've picked perhaps a not atypical representation of the class but nevertheless one which is reasonably representative of a specific class member to cover the LNER livery variant.

As I say, I am guessing there - but it's an educated guess based on the conversations I've had and the knowledge of the process I have now. I am happy to go back and clarify that for you Mick if you would like?

RE the smokebox door, I would be happy to check this at the weekend for you when I start writing up my blog good and proper. RE the mechanical oil drive - I don't know the answer to this but I will ask and am happy to do so.