Hornsby Q6

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Sniffer
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

Hornsby Q6

Post by Sniffer »

Got word from Hornby today that they're in the country ready for dispatch.

Really looking forward to this one. :)
Re-open the Leeds Northern northwards !
Dunluce Castle
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Re: Hornsby Q6

Post by Dunluce Castle »

I'm also looking forward to receiving mine, now to get to work making some NER hoppers.
Nelson
1̶6̶ 17 years old and modelling the LNER, LMS NCC and UTA (steam of course)
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Hornsby (as per Sniffer's title)? As in Ruston and Hornsby, proper manufacturers of steam driven machines?

Yet another model only available in post 1940 condition so not directly useful to true modellers of the "classic" LNER era. Following the announcement at Warley just seven months ago I was fairly keen to have one of these but having recently spent quite a lot of time (of which I am very short) undoing the post 1940 time-lock on my Heljan O2 I'm now very reluctant to bother with a Hornby Q6 - especially given the price. It's a lot to pay for a loco that is simply a starting point for modification. Why, for goodness sake didn't they model the original boiler, allowing locos to be finished in liveries for more periods?
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:.... I'm now very reluctant to bother with a Hornby Q6 - especially given the price. It's a lot to pay for a loco that is simply a starting point for modification. Why, for goodness sake didn't they model the original boiler, allowing locos to be finished in liveries for more periods?
Why not just build an Alexander or a Bradwell Q6 if you want to portray an original boiler?
cctransuk
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by cctransuk »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:Hornsby (as per Sniffer's title)? As in Ruston and Hornsby, proper manufacturers of steam driven machines?

Why, for goodness sake didn't they model the original boiler, allowing locos to be finished in liveries for more periods?
Because they want to sell loads of models - and they judge that the one that they have settled on will be more popular.

Simples!

Regards,
John Isherwood.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Evenin' all

I, also, find it strange that manufacturers concentrate on models in the condition of the last twenty years of steam. That leaves over one hundred years of prototypes not generally covered.

I have an Alexander kit of the Q6, and it's a great kit. However, it costs considerably more that a RTR model to build, and kit building is not for everyone.

I do have three Bachmann J39s coupled to kit-built tenders to produce J39/3s. The J39 body is essentially in post-war condition, but it was originally supplied with a B1 tender (producing a never wazza). I have performed minor modifications to bring the locos back to 1938 condition.

I suppose that Horny producing the P2 in original condition and an A4 with side-skirts were produced for pre-war modellers, but I can't think of any others.

Earlswood nob
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Havent checked what is needed for pre war era ? I guess washout plugs ?
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

Washout plugs are probably the least of the worries and indeed there were variations within the Dia 50 boilers. A Dia 50 boiler requires that the dome be moved some 5mm forward and the firebox reduced by 1.5mm and may require a new boiler band . The dome would be of the original "French Helmet" shape and finally the smokebox door would have been again of the original NER type. As far as I can make out at least 4 Q6s received the Dia 50a boiler prior to the war although I'm not sure about their smokebox doors, as the new type generally appeared during the war years, and of course the type of tender they were linked with at the time would need checking. Dave Bradwell should be able to help.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Thanks for that , a very stupid short sighted decision, if all that needs to be corrected, as a new boiler would be required.

They have successfully lost sales from the vast majority of LNER and all of the NER modellers. How sad when Hornby need every penny coming in.
Pebbles

Post by Pebbles »

I have just seen the pictures of the LNER version on the "Dark Side". Some time ago I commented that the NRM C1 had domed rivets on the footplate whereas originally, and indeed through most of the LNER period, these would have been flush. Well, the Q6 has the same issue and possibly all to do with the scanning of the preserved locomotives. I'm not carping, merely pointing this out.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

I'm a bit amused at the reaction to what is - for all intents and purposes - possibly the surprise release of the decade, and a very welcome one, for the North East. They've used the existing one as a basis, which you may notice matches the spec of the model they've created. No coincidence I would suggest.

You're unlikely to get another of these in RTR form - and to be frank, given how much I found was necessary to correct the O2 as well (your GNR chimney was very useful by the way Graeme - much better than Heljan's awkwardly proportioned offering), is it really such a big deal to modify the Q6 to an earlier form? Just smacks of cutting one's nose to spite one's face. Particularly when all or most of us here have done more involved projects building Thompson Pacifics and the like.

Come on gents - are we LNER modellers or aren't we?
Pebbles

Post by Pebbles »

The original posting related to the Hornby model not being representative of a prewar version with a Dia 50 boiler. These were not my observations! I have only pointed out the differences between the model and the prewar prototype. From what I have seen the Hornby model is of a high mechanical specification, and is hopefully fully representative of the preserved engine. When one considers that the Hornby J15 has three different cabs and two types of tender underframes people were possibly hoping that Q6 variations would be similarly covered; they may of course still be.
Greedy Boards
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Greedy Boards »

Hi

I for one welcome the Hornby Q6, as most of the current RTR North Eastern offerings tend to be passenger or mixed traffic locomotives, with the exception of the ubiquitous Gresley J39 0-6-0, and Raven J72 0-6-0T. North Eastern freight, and mineral goods locomotives in particular have always been under-represented so far, with Riddles WD Austerity J94 0-6-0ST, and O7 2-8-0 locomotives only appearing in the 1940s. Consequently, a Q6 0-8-0, albeit with a 50A diagram boiler that first appeared in 1938 will be a hit, as too would a J26/J27 0-6-0 to work alongside it.

Maybe a 50 diagram boiler will appear in future, but as I am unashamedly a Middlesbrough Smoggie by birth, to have something that reflects the industrial & railway heritage of my area certainly gets my support.

Regards

Greedy Boards
North Eastern Matters
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Not all doom and gloom and chopping up £140 Locos to get ones in pre war LNER livery .

Dia 50a Boilers were fitted to Eleven Q6's prior to 1940.

Number Year
1294 1939

1311 1938

2216 1938

2217 1939

2218 1938

2223 1939

2237 1939

2259 1938

2265 1938

2272 1938

2279 1938

Info from Yeadons, only one of those locos has a picture in period 2265 Short Curved Rail Tender no base to Safety Valves , Curved Smokebox Door .

A number had the 50A boiler fitted during and after the war in LNER days , some never had then until 1958 !!.
Pebbles

Post by Pebbles »

Here we go again.

From relevant RTCS Parts, and linked with the exchanges of tenders with the C7s, at the time of receiving 50a boilers I believe the following to be fairly accurate for a strictly prewar period.

Nos 1294 and 1311 had 3940gal non self trimming tenders

Nos 2218, 2223 and 2272 had old style frame 4125gal non self trimming tenders

Nos 2215 and 2217 had 4125gal self trimming tenders but the coal rails extended around the tender as with the previous two types

Nos 2237, 2257, 2259, 2265, 2274, 2279 and 2302 had 4125gal self trimming tenders with the curved type coal rails as per the Hornby model