Hornsby Q6

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

ArthurK
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Re: Hornsby Q6

Post by ArthurK »

mick b wrote:The photo is interesting relating to Smokebox Door shapes.

To my eyes the NER version is Flat and the LNER one is Curved , what do people think ?

Hornby to my eyes have the Q6 LNER version with a flat Door , in Yeadon the same Loco is in a photo with a clearly Curved Door in early 1948 livery . :? :?
The flatter NER doors were replaced by the more rounded LNER doors starting in the late LNER days.

Yeadon's states that the NER door was used until 1945. It was still on 63377 until 1955. The later style was first used on 2286 in 1945. Most (but he doesn't say all) had this type at withdrawal.
ArthurK
Daddyman
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by Daddyman »

Belated thanks, Mick. Sorry, was away for work.

But I still don't get it. To me the LNER loco on the right here has the earlier s.box door - flatter, with visible ring and smaller:
http://www.hornbymagazine.com/
Or did they change things later on?
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

The only thing I can think is that Hornby have a photo of the LNER version before the round doors were fitted ? perhaps at the same time no Capuchon fitted either on the Chimney.
It certainly had the Rounder Door version and a Capuchon on the Chimney in early 1948 , you cannot see the buffer beam in the photo to confirm its type.

One good thing is that you can date it back to 1938 ,sadly it doesn't cure the Chimney problem. :evil:
ArthurK
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by ArthurK »

Daddyman wrote:Belated thanks, Mick. Sorry, was away for work.

But I still don't get it. To me the LNER loco on the right here has the earlier s.box door - flatter, with visible ring and smaller:
http://www.hornbymagazine.com/
Or did they change things later on?
The clue is on the bufferbeam. That is where the loco number is so it pre-dates BR I.e. pre 1948. At that date a lot of the Q6s would not have received the new doors. It all depends on when they visited the works. (6)3418 left Darlington 20/8/48 after a general overhaul. It received another general overhaul leaving Darlington 19/7/51. On both occasions the boiler was changed. That fitted in 1951 reverted to Dia 50 which it retained until 1954. The smokebox door could have been changed at either of these dates. it again reverted to Dia 50 boiler in 1957 until a final boiler change to a new boiler in 1961.

ArthurK
Phil
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Phil »

Earlswood nob's photos of metal dome castings show the fixing pin on the dome center line. Has anyone who has taken delivery of a Hornby Q6 had a chance to examine the boiler? The main issue (more learned contributors would doubtless think of several others!) seems to be the potential, or otherwise, for producing dia 50 as well as dia 50A versions of this model. If the difference in the position of the 2 domes is 5mm then there must be a point where the 2 dome positions 'overlap' (so to speak!) if these domes are more than 5mm in dia. If the fixing pins were offset by 2.5mm from the center line of the dome then, one would have thought, it would be possible to model both versions with the same mounting hole in the boiler, 'flat' dome with the pin 2.5mm forward and 'french helmet' 2.5mm to the rear.

As previously discussed, it was once the intention of DJ models to offer this loco in both boiler variants so I wonder how he intended 'optioneering' this?
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Received my LNER sample. Very beautifully put together model. I have a number of photographs of Q6s through the various publications and I've been fortunate to have spoken to a few people who have better info than me on the prototype.

Overall I agree that we should be discerning modellers and I've argued for this time and again.

I'm not doing an about turn on this for the Q6: I do think we also need to be realistic about what we are expecting Hornby to do in terms of tooling and we should bear in mind they've worked from the preserved locomotive which had to be the main focus in addition to minimising the tooling costs whilst still providing a quality model.

Quite frankly I'd be happy enough to add a small sliver of plastic to the chimney - surely that can be done for the missing carpuchon?

I've got my Q6 on the display plank in front of me. It's a beautiful model. I know there's possibly some detail issues but it may just be a matter of renumbering. It runs smoothly - smoother, if that were possible, than the exquisite J15 - and it feels like it could pull down a house too. It just feels like a terrific model in all honesty. It's the first all new north eastern region steam loco for a very long time (K1 excepted - as it's a BR only loco) and if it leads to more NER prototypes getting a look in, I'm all for it. Just make sure the B16 is a B16/3 when you deliver, Hornby... :P

Just an aside - I have spoken to someone from Hornby this evening. Rest assured, modellers of the LNER pre-war are going to be catered for with the Q6 in due course. I'll say more on my blog next week.
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

I must apologise for my pic of Q6 domes and smokebox doors. I had put the early door with the later dome and later door with the early dome.

I was running late and in a hurry after bumping into an old friend and spending the afternoon testing the real ale at his local pub.

Earlswood nob
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

G'day all

There would be the some dissent with the issue of a rebuilt B16. The B16/2 was introduced just before WWII and the B16/3 during WWII. This would ostracise most of the LNER pre-war modellers. Whereas the original B16 ran until the end of the class.
The B16/2 and B16/3 had a lengthened chassis, so it would need a new chassis as well as new footplate and valve gear to convert a model of the original loco.

Earlswood nob
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

I'm away from my books at the moment, but I think that the first B16/2 rebuild was in 1936. This is one of my 'future projects', and I have the Isinglass drawing and some elements to use. The bogie should be 3" further forward than on the B16/1. The problem I foresee is getting it to go round corners, and this is the same for most of the exNER outside cylinder locomotives. (Hence my experiment with an A8.)

On the other hand there is the B16/1 itself. I would consider the DJH kit. Can anybody confirm that the boiler is the correct diameter (ie 3" of so greater than 5'6")? The OD should be the same as the Q6 and Q7 - for which latter the DJH kit is definitely wrong. (See the opening posts on my 'Make do and Mend' thread.

After my recent experiments with small engines, it would be nice to deal with something big!
I hanker after a V (as in C6 - but not the V/09 for which I think Arthur K provides a kit.) Of course there is always a DJH Z (C7) but I'd need the same assurance as to boiler OD. The cylinder clearance would also be difficult as it was on the original. Ken Hoole in his book on the NER Atlantics reports Zs coming into Darlington from the south with bogie wheels locked and sliding!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

S.A.C. Martin wrote:I have spoken to someone from Hornby this evening. Rest assured, modellers of the LNER pre-war are going to be catered for with the Q6 in due course. I'll say more on my blog next week.
I'm glad I've been too busy and too unconvinced to buy one of the first offerings then.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
52D sub shed
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 52D sub shed »

I am very pleased with my Q6 which I have run in and chipped today, it runs quietly and smoothly and pulls a 43 wagon train with ease.
One problem I have had while running is that one set of sand pipes has become detached and caused a derailment, they have been re-attached with just a dab of cyno to prevent a re-occurrence.
Space in the tender is limited and I would be interested to hear if anyone has fitted sound yet?

:)
earlswood nob
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by earlswood nob »

Good morning all

DRMD has now got me thinking. I have the DJH B16/1 and C7, so I shall have to measure the boiler.

I also have a NuCast B16/2 on my roundtuit shelf waiting to be built. I shall have to look at that boiler as well.

I am pleased to hear that Hornby aim to produce a pre-war Q6. The quality of RTR models is so good these days. I enjoy building locos, but I have a job matching their quality. However, I can model the particular at the particular time-span that I want.

Earlswood nob
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

There's an opportunity here I feel, gentlemen, for you to actively shape the next Q6 release. The only thing I can say fundamentally is that you're unlikely to get a chimney with a capuchon on a model - because as far as I'm aware, it's not in Hornby's tooling plans.

That is not to say they can't be convinced into tooling such a component if you feel you have evidence to show it'll result in a model more suitable for your needs which you will buy and will appeal to other purchasers. However it may have a knock on effect to something like, for example, packaging.

I'm happy to feed back any information or ideas as I will be doing so myself in due course.

For the record I've been very impressed with the Q6 and I personally feel - even if this set of Q6 releases isn't necessarily for you, fundamentally Hornby has got its eye on the ball for LNER modellers going forward with their plans. That much I can promise.
Pebbles
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Pebbles »

I am rather confused about this capuchin issue as it would appear that it is present on the BR versions.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Pebbles wrote:I am rather confused about this capuchin issue as it would appear that it is present on the BR versions.
Sorry I should have been clearer. Not in their tooling plans for the LNER version they have, and future ones at present.

I will go back and re-clarify that though if I have misunderstood their meaning.