Model paints and solvents

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Model paints and solvents

Post by Atso »

Interesting stuff Manna, I've been experiencing similar success using boiled linseed oil. I've found that it's been good for some of those paints that are far too thick from the tin and it works wonders getting paint to a cream like consistency for bow pen work.
Steve
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

Interesting stuff. I've used various solvents over the years and tried to remember to wear a respirator when air brushing.

Recently, on recommendation from a commercial artist I tried a product called "Zest It." It's an organic solvent with very low odour and it's great. So far I've used it for thinning oil and enamel paints and for cleaning brushes. I haven't used it for air brush work yet but will do so next time I do some spraying.

I got it mail order from an art supplies company :
https://www.jacksonsart.com/zest-it-oil ... B4QAvD_BwE

No connection apart from satisfied customer.
kimballthurlow
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by kimballthurlow »

manna wrote: Mon May 28, 2018 8:12 pm G'Day Gents

I've tried out the Eucalyptus oil, ... I found that if used in a medium sized room ( 10x10 ) I had to do the painting, quite quickly, open the window, and leave for a couple of hours, I really should, take my painting over to the shed, as it is strong enough to make your eyes water. :shock:

manna
Hi manna,
Solvents/aromatics certainly affect different people in different ways. My wife has a reaction to this stuff which differs from mine, she finds it a bit overpowering.
I really like it, it has no ill effect whatsoever, but that's me.

Kimball
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

Not really the topic being discussed but as fumes from paints were mentioned this on glues is somewhat related. I have used CA glue for a wide number of glueing purposes (and even successfully constructed a South East Finecast kit using it) and of the 3 brands available here one had me dashing off to the doctor to see why I had such (and I mean 'such') difficulty breathing. My wife who has suffered from asthma pontificated that I (for no apparent reason) had also succumbed to this.

A google search of CA glues (Cyanoacrylite) said this can (in my case DID) cause symptons of asthma, to an extreme level and, worse case scenario could even bring my modelling days to a permanent end! The 2 brands available here which seemed not to have this problem are 'Hot Stuff' and 'Zap-a-Gap' (both I think from the USA) but I can't recall the one that seemed to have caused the trouble as it was in the rubbish once I'd narrowed the problem down to this particular make. It has never been purchased since. A pity in some ways as this is available from my closest modelling shop and also seemed to be the strongest of the 3, even to the extent someone said 'never scratch your bottom if using it as you'll have to get a sleeve fitted to the seat of your pants'.

I can sympathise with your wife Kimball.

Graeme
New Zealand
kimballthurlow
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by kimballthurlow »

Graeme Leary wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:50 am ... I have used CA glue for a wide number of glueing purposes ... of the 3 brands available here one had me dashing off to the doctor to see why I had such (and I mean 'such') difficulty breathing. My wife who has suffered from asthma pontificated that I (for no apparent reason) had also succumbed to this....

I can sympathise with your wife Kimball.

Graeme
New Zealand
Hi Graeme,
You are certainly not alone in your reaction to CA.
I have a good modelling friend in the UK who does a lot of work for clients, and has been unable to model where CA was required. He too narrowed the problem by trial and error ..... and much suffering.

Kimball