Model paints and solvents

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

kimballthurlow
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: Model paints and solvents

Post by kimballthurlow »

manna wrote: Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:19 am G'day Gents ..... I have found that Humbrol isn't as good as it used to be foe brush painting, it's thick and claggy (bit like me !) years ago a new tin of paint and you had a brilliant finish, even thinning it, it wont cover well, slowly drifting over to Acrylics, but that has a side effect......powdery residue, just had to strip 'Humourist' didn't think it was 'funny' :(......
manna
Hi all,
I just had a similar experience on the 'claggy' side of Humbrol enamel tinlets.
Brand new, opened, and the contents were so thick I found it difficult to stir.
After stirring for a few minutes, I found there was no improvement, and I realised that:
1. the tinlet had been overfilled with pigment and media but not enough carrier thinners.
2. I tipped out 25% of the contents which I then replaced with (100%) eucalyptus oil, and within a minute or so my stirring had produced the typical flowing Humbrol to which I am used.

Claggy Humbrol problem solved.

Kimball
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

That's an interesting find, I did the roof of a wagon the other day, new tin, same result, thick and wouldn't flow, so I'm going to give the Eucalyptus oil a go.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
kimballthurlow

Post by kimballthurlow »

Remember Manna to mix as thoroughly as you can before you tip out the 25% (or % your judgment allows).
That will ensure you discard equal measure of whatever is in there.
Kimball
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

A point I did think about, I've now added Eucalyptus oil to our shopping list, ( but I'll probably still forget it :roll: )

manna
Woodcock29
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Woodcock29 »

Paints - what a mine field!

Recently - by that I mean over the last few years, I've found that when spraying my normal mix of Humbrol 'killed black', (a mix of satin black 85 and matt brown 186) that it dries exceedingly matt and often has a rough finish. The mix is probably about two thirds black to one third brown and thinned about 50:50 with mineral turps. I've found the same with Humbrol satin cote - whilst I've still managed to continue on with some of these models I need to solve the problem before I continue with varnishing my latest O4 version - with a flowerpot chimney for the early 30s.

I normally spray with my old Badger 200 airbrush outside in temperatures between about 16C and 28C.

Perhaps the issue is that there is too much matting agent?

I've thought of trialling adding a bit of gloss cote to the satin cote.

Andrew
Atso
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by Atso »

I have some problems using Humbrol gloss black at little while ago. I sprayed it (thinned with white spirit) onto a couple of models and it stayed slightly tacky for weeks. After that I was continuously having to patch paint areas, while lining out, where the paint just rubbed off at the slightest touch. Eventually the final varnish layers sealed everything in well enough that I've not had many problems since.

A few months ago, I purchased a large tin of Precision gloss black. There is simply no comparison between the two blacks and I have enough of the Precision black not to have to worry about buying another tin for awhile.

Humbrol paints seem to be variable in their properties/quality - I do have some lovely paints along with some no so good. For most black locomotives, I now use Tayima paints, applied with an airbrush. I love the fast drying properties which allows me to spray the buffer beams and, after about 30-40 minutes mask up and spray the main body colour. If I'm lining, I do find a top coat of enamel gloss varnish provides a more durable surface for the bow pen and have had no problems with the acrylic paint reacting with the enamels when used like this (although without the enamel varnish barrier coat I have had occasional problems using white spirit to clean up lining mistakes).
Steve
kimballthurlow

Post by kimballthurlow »

I am sorry that I have not yet tried the 100% eucalyptus oil as a thinner for spraying but I have perfect confidence it will work.

The reason is that a few days ago I was washing down a bit of machinery using kerosene as a degreaser, and now I have resolved NEVER to use these hydrocarbons (white spirit, petroleum, kero, turpentine) because they give my repiratory system such a hard time. So I purchased online direct from the manufacturer, a 4 litre bottle of the said eucalyptus oil, which will be enough for washing down, thinning and whatever for some time.

And while reading about it discovered it has excellent drying qualities and I quote:
"Natural – no artificial colours, fragrances or preservatives.
Uses:
Carpet Cleaning
After cleaning it quickly vaporises leaving no residues on carpets to lead to re-soiling.
Spot Cleaning
Removes tar from car paintwork, cleaning vinyl and leather.
Use neat for antibacterial action on hard surfaces.
It burns like kerosene, try it alone or mixed with kerosene in flares, lanterns and lamps."

Kimball
D2100

Post by D2100 »

kimballthurlow wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 12:35 am .... I tipped out 25% of the contents which I then replaced with (100%) eucalyptus oil, and within a minute or so my stirring had produced the typical flowing Humbrol to which I am used.

This is interesting, having bought a few tins lately of their oh-so useful 173 Track Colour and found it oh-so-useless ... from where (in the UK) might one obtain eucalyptus oil?
Ian Fleming

Now active on Facebook at 'The Clearing House'
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Loads on eBay , perhaps Chemists sell it as well.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I didn't forget my bottle of Eucalyptus oil, got mine at the local supermarket, haven't yet tried it out.

manna
kimballthurlow

Post by kimballthurlow »

Pennine MC wrote: Tue May 15, 2018 12:09 pm
kimballthurlow wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 12:35 am .... I tipped out 25% of the contents which I then replaced with (100%) eucalyptus oil, and within a minute or so my stirring had produced the typical flowing Humbrol to which I am used.

This is interesting, having bought a few tins lately of their oh-so useful 173 Track Colour and found it oh-so-useless ... from where (in the UK) might one obtain eucalyptus oil?
H Pennine,
I will email the supplier and ask if they have an import agent in the UK. Will return if information obtained.

Kimball
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

A quick Google suggests that the expensive way to obtain it is the Boots/Superdrug/Holland & Barratt route (maybe for a small bottle to try) but larger bottles can be found through Aldi from time to time or on Ebay. Seems the horsey community use it for something or other.
kimballthurlow

Post by kimballthurlow »

Hi all,
Currently the only supplier of Bosisto oils (the company I use) in Europe is:
Czech Republic
Health Link s.r.o. Olomouc,
Czech Republic
Ph: + 42 068 542 3037
Fax: + 42 068 542 3037
health.link@wo.cz

I will give you the Australian link, because they do export.
https://www.fgb.com.au/

Kimball
D2100

Post by D2100 »

Thanks very much all, I'm sure I should get sorted from those options :)
Ian Fleming

Now active on Facebook at 'The Clearing House'
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'Day Gents

I've tried out the Eucalyptus oil, first with an old opened tin with all the thick lump 'carp' at the bottom, added a bit of oil, gave it a good stir, the result in a couple of minutes, was a very usable paint, tried in on a couple of different bits and bobs, a smooth finish that was as matt as they come, so I tried it again on part used tins, all with the same result, so it dose work, you get a lovely smooth flowing paint, the only down side is the smell, it is very strong, I found that if used in a medium sized room ( 10x10 ) I had to do the painting, quite quickly, open the window, and leave for a couple of hours, I really should, take my painting over to the shed, as it is strong enough to make your eyes water. :shock:

manna