Oxford Rail LNER Cattle Wagon . Rebuilding guide.

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Oxford Rail LNER Cattle Wagon . Rebuilding guide.

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

I remember a vet telling me that lime wash was conducive to hoof rot, hence its use being discontinued.
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Now painted.
IMG_2142.JPG
IMG_2143.JPG
adrianbs
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by adrianbs »

Hi All It is being said elsewhere that Oxford rail have corrected the errors on the cattle wagon. Please ignore them, "they know not what they say"
The partition slots are still at the LH end ON BOTH SIDES and the lettering is still incorrect as they are still using 10'wb numbers on 9'wb wagons. Apart from that even the " Large "and " Number " are transposed on one side, not to mention the Limewash version that could not have existed. The other errors all remain as before and one is suspicious just why this statement has been made. To be charitable I assume ignorance.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

It is one person who has claimed the body has been corrected.

He is very wrong but seems unable to get a grip with what a mirror side build means. Bogus rumour created by him, he even thought the wording "Large" should be on the right side one one side of the wagon :lol: .

He has been told he is wrong on RM web by me and others :D
adrianbs
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by adrianbs »

Hi All If only someone had been able to get through to Oxfordfail and make them see what was wrong !! Now we have the prospect of them running Hornby. Rather worrying that a firm that has yet to make anything in it's own railway range reasonably accurate is going to be let loose on the Hornby range. Can't quite see it being a good idea myself although, if the items already in the pipeline are not messed about, it will be the best part of 2 years before we see new products influenced by the new team. The half year results announced at the end of November will make very interesting reading, especially after there has already been a stock market warning that the jam today looks like being jam tomorrow yet again.
Nova
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Nova »

adrianbs wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:15 pm Hi All If only someone had been able to get through to Oxfordfail and make them see what was wrong !! Now we have the prospect of them running Hornby. Rather worrying that a firm that has yet to make anything in it's own railway range reasonably accurate is going to be let loose on the Hornby range.
You make the assumption that the CEO of Oxford Rail will be giving the entire production & planning team (or whatever it's called) at Hornby the boot. the only changeover of staff is the then current CEO of Hornby making way for Oxford's CEO. and possibly the P&P team of Oxford being incorporated into Hornby's own team rather than replacing it.

There's also the fact that hornby's team is no doubt more experienced in research and development of new products, having been around for some 70+ years compared to the few years OR has existed.

and for that matter OR's wagons are much finer looking and most likely more accurate products than the equivalents hornby has been putting out non-stop for the past 30-40 years at the same RRP if not more. I know which one I'd buy from given the choice between Hornby and OR.
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

36C Studeos, kits in 4MM scale: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11947
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Adrian, Did you actually read my previous post about using childish names like "Oxfordfail"?

And "has yet to make anything in it's own railway range reasonably accurate" is a bit of an exaggeration - as Nova has pointed out, they're better than a lot of the competition.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
kimballthurlow
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by kimballthurlow »

adrianbs wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:38 pm .... 9'wb wagons. Apart from that even the " Large "and " Number " are transposed on one side, not to mention the Limewash version that could not have existed. .....
Hi Adrian,
What do you mean "..could not have existed"?
The picture shown on this forum only days ago at smusmug, shows 4 cattle wagons coated in lime.
https://railway-photography.smugmug.com ... /i-cBfRfq2

Kimball
Nova

Post by Nova »

kimballthurlow wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:00 am
Hi Adrian,
What do you mean "..could not have existed"?
The picture shown on this forum only days ago at smusmug, shows 4 cattle wagons coated in lime.
https://railway-photography.smugmug.com ... /i-cBfRfq2

Kimball
looking back through the thread has produced the following quote from Adrian himeself
One of them has even been expertly weathered with LIME WASH, a material which was outlawed 10 years before they were built !! In fact even the earlier 9' wb wagons were very unlikely to have been treated with this nasty white disinfectant as they were built after it was banned around 1927. It had not been used generally since about 1924 when a clear solution of carbolic disinfectant became widely available.
Coalby and Marblethorpe, my vision of an un-nationalised Great Britain in the 50s and 60s: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=11905

S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

adrianbs wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:15 pmRather worrying that a firm that has yet to make anything in it's own railway range reasonably accurate is going to be let loose on the Hornby range.
Utter claptrap. I recently did a comparison review for my blog on the two Radial tanks and there was very little to choose between the red and yellow boxes. The Dean Goods is by far superior to that which went before, if imperfect, and the wagons range, though also imperfect, is by far better than the vast majority of wagons that have been on sale from the big three companies in their main ranges.

At times Adrian you have some good points to make but they get wrapped up in sometimes nonsensical hyperbole and hysteria which does you no favours.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Nova wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:19 pm I know which one I'd buy from given the choice between Hornby and OR.
Bachmann!
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

I am glad that I have changed to 7mm Scale!
Nova

Post by Nova »

65447 wrote: Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:53 pm
Nova wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:19 pm I know which one I'd buy from given the choice between Hornby and OR.
Bachmann!
I was talking about choosing purely between Hornby or OR, nowhere did I mention Bachmann

nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by nzpaul »

I think 65447 might be taking the piss Nova.....you know...funny haha.
FWIW I'd have gone with Parkside.....you could glue the sides on upside down and say it's a truck for Cow Bats......I reckon even Adrian would find it difficult to find fault with that logic. :? : :roll:

disclaimer: at no point am I trying to offend anyone,just light hearted rubbish.

Paul. :wink:
kimballthurlow
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by kimballthurlow »

Nova wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:24 pm ....

looking back through the thread has produced the following quote from Adrian himeself
One of them has even been expertly weathered with LIME WASH, a material which was outlawed 10 years before they were built !! .....
Thanks Nova,
I forgot about that.

Kimball