Oxford Rail 6 Plank Wagon

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

S.A.C. Martin

Oxford Rail 6 Plank Wagon

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

Just picked one up, first thought is that it's a very nice all in one body moulding. It looks as if it's been based on some very time specific examples from photographs though which is why there's probably some potential modifications you'd have to make to back date it for BR days, as with the LNER cattle wagon.

Going to do a blog on this wagon once I've finished with the cattle wagons - I picked up a job lot of cattle wagons from Invicta Model Rail earlier and I've even modified one to have the sides mirrored, with pleasing results.

The 6 planker does look good to me. Your thoughts gentlemen, as always, appreciated.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Oxford Rail 6 Plank Wagon

Post by mick b »

There is quite a bit on the dark side.

Some points raised theron

Brake gear should only be on one side and a cam fitting on the other.

Grey is too pale for LNER Grey and a Orange inside too.

I thought there was a thread on here too but nothing obvious.
S.A.C. Martin

Post by S.A.C. Martin »

I had not noticed the brake gear - good spot that. I agree on the colours.

Overall though, again a really nice moulding. I lament the missed opportunity for LNER forum participants to provide constructive criticism - Oxford aren't far away from two excellent models in this and the cattle wagon but some errors made at the design stage have reduced potential sales I suspect.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Having finally got around to a purchase of what is the first potentially suitable model from OR for my purposes, it's good enough. Looks OK beside my kit builds, correcting the brake gear is an unplug both, transfer one across, add clutch, new v hanger and cross rod, job done, and there's a 9' brake detail spare for the 'bits box'. Then a little paint to conceal the 'new wood interior' and the necessary weathering as usual for both RTR or kit wagons.

My usual procedure of 'chopping' both NEM pocket and coupler prongs to put the bumper bar face in the plane of the buffer heads for close coupling works just as well as with the Bachmann pocket and coupler. Now for the extended test to see if it is fully compatible with the Bachmann miniature tension lock in operation, if not I will swap it out.

If they care to venture other company general merchandise vehicles to this standard or better, I'll be buying. Those LMS opens and vans now; they are an open goal: another way of saying I haven't sufficient of these very numerous vehicles, as I only grasped the consequences of the 'common user' system at the end of my modelling career part 1, when I was a kit building machine.
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by mick b »

Couple repainted and brake gear removed from one side on each wagon. Good value at £5 each.
IMG_2144.JPG
IMG_2145.JPG