Hatton's 'O' gauge by Heljan

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Hatton's 'O' gauge by Heljan

Post by Kestrel »

In today's epistle from mremag.com there is an item entitled ' Hatton's announces The Record Breakers'.

Hatton's have linked up with Heljan to produce 'O' gauge A3s, A4s and Gresley coaches.

It lists 7 A3s in various liveries, 9 A4s also in various liveries but none in LNER green, and 18 Gresley coaches, 6 of each in Teak, BR carmine and cream, and BR maroon. The coaches are to diagrams 115 (corridor third), 175 (brake corridor composite) and 186 (open third) with two of each per livery.

The locos are £750 and the coaches £249.

Surely there aren't that many people with large enough 'O' gauge layouts that would allow for these and make it a profitable exercise. If you wanted one of everything, you'd have to fork out £16,482.00.

They should spend the money on 'OO' stock.

It states 'All coaches will be produced to strict quantities and will only be available through Hatton’s. Delivery is expected to be in late 2018 and we will keep you updated on progress as it happens.'
davidwest
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Re: Hatton's 'O' gauge by Heljan

Post by davidwest »

You never know. Once they've got the cad they may shrink them. The coaches could find a market!
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Kestrel wrote:...They should spend the money on 'OO' stock...'
While sympathetic to the thought - especially in respect of the open third! - it has to be acknowledged that Hattons probably have the best overview of the UK's RTR model railway customer base. As such my expectation would be that they know there are definite customers for whatever volume of these O gauge items they need to sell to make the required profit. Interesting to see that they are doing the job correctly, the models to lead off with are as always the Gresley pacifics...

Also, they are still active in commissioning OO product, and an entry to O doesn't preclude further developments in OO. I do wonder about the state of the RTR OO market; has it finally overheated with so much present product choice from more manufacturers than ever before, and a heap of good quality s/h from the last 16 years newly tooled releases inevitably beginning to go on sale? (Something the doom mongers have been worriting over since Heljan's OO entry in about 2003.)
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

Kestrel wrote: Surely there aren't that many people with large enough 'O' gauge layouts that would allow for these and make it a profitable exercise. If you wanted one of everything, you'd have to fork out £16,482.00.
All the talk that I have seen so far, indicates that at the advertised price, there are many who will buy them just to sit in a display case. They are significantly cheaper than other producers of LNER rtr Pacifics.

I am not sure why you might think that someone might want one of everything? - I would only want the LNER versions and I am no expert but would have thought others would only want the BR/preserved versions to suit their tastes/modelling periods etc.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

There's a lot more said, and blethered, on the 'dark side', but it's interesting, even curious, that Hatton's is parking it's Pacifics on the lawn previously occupied by Tower Models in Blackpool - it's Tower who still advertise the Heljan Mk1s, wagons, previous locomotives and other O gauge UK-outline RTR products. I wonder how well the Gresley carriages will match the polyurethane moulded assemblage of parts from Just Like The Real Thing?
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

As well as being significantly cheaper than existing RTR LNER Pacifics, they're also not much more than top line Pacific kits...

I agree that many will end up in cases, but there are also quite a few garden layouts and club layouts that could take them.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Robpulham
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Robpulham »

richard wrote:As well as being significantly cheaper than existing RTR LNER Pacifics, they're also not much more than top line Pacific kits...
Just my thought Richard, although I have a Finney A4 in my stash I have put my name down for Silver Link working on the theory that if I put £25 per month away between now and when they are ready I will have the funds without denting my pocket on the way.