Hornby Railroad D49/2 The Cotswold

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Greedy Boards
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Hornby Railroad D49/2 The Cotswold

Post by Greedy Boards »

Hi Everyone

my local has taken delivery of a Hornby Railroad D49/2, BR Early version, The Cotswold, and it even comes with the York Shed Code 50A. Will it need any significant changes, as at current price, it certainly seems to offer value for money.

Regards

Greedy Boards
North Eastern Matters
nzpaul
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: Hornby Railroad D49/2 The Cotswold

Post by nzpaul »

Valve gear would be the biggest issue, the Hornby models depict Walschaerts gear and D49/2 requires either rotary cam like a P2/1 or rocking cam gear. The latter can be approximated using the existing gear I think but rotary cam would require some more serious mods, although you might be able to get Hornby P2 spares, not sure. You'll need to check which D49/2s had which gear, sorry I don't have that info to hand but someone might jump in to offer that up.

Cheers
Paul
Phil
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by Phil »

All D49/2 had Rotary cam gear. Oscillating cam were part 3 engines of which all were rebuilt to part 1 (Walschaerts gear) in 1938. After this date ALL 'Shire' engines were part 1 and 'Hunt' engines, as in this case, were part 2. L/H side of the engine looks an easier mod than the R/H which had the drive shaft for the Lentz gear.
Danby Wiske
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Danby Wiske »

...you might be able to get Hornby P2 spares...
Available as part number X6646

(Have a look here:)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HORNBY-COCK-O ... SwrXdXKgny
Greedy Boards
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Greedy Boards »

Guys

Many thanks for the feedback

Regards

Greedy Boards
North Eastern Matters