Flying Scotsman Express Tailboard

This forum is for the discussion of railway modelling of the LNER and its constituent companies.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Flying Scotsman Express Tailboard

Post by Graeme Leary »

I'm sure that if I trolled through all the postings concerning the FS 'EXPRESS' I would find the answer but hope someone can come up with a definitive answer. Having recently acquired from Fox Transfers the FS 'Express' tailboard name for the last coach on this famous train what would be the 'correct' coach (as from the Hornby matchwood range) that this should be fixed to during the LNER era?
I can't seem to find any photos to clarify this query - any comments much appreciated (even if only to confirm it never in fact existed!).
Graeme Leary
New Zealand
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Flying Scotsman Express Tailboard

Post by jwealleans »

I'm a little confused by this query, Graeme. Your reference to 'matchboard' suggests Pullman carriages which the Flying Scotsman never included during the LNER era.

The Flying Scotsman always had dedicated sets, the diagrams and numbers of which largely survive. Very few of the Hornby Gresley range would be correct for the train, especially in the later LNER period when pressure ventilated and end vestibule stock was built.

Can I suggest you have a look at this page to get an idea of the sort of stock which was used in later LNER years.
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Re: Flying Scotsman Express Tailboard

Post by Graeme Leary »

Many thanks jwelleans and 12 hours later I realised myself that my slip (ignorance) regarding matchboard was showing when I sent the original query (but surprised the mea culpa I sent got lost in the ether somewhere as no record of it on the forum).
I will read and digest your posting re FS Express but I can see the employment of an element of 'modeller's license' creeping in and the tailboard ending up on a prototypically incorrect coach. I will throw myself at the mercy of the court.
Regards
Graeme